Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Got the green light for a slicer; which one?

500 Posts: 3,177
Been shopping around.  BB&B doesn't stock a slicer now, cause they consider it a seasonal item.  Since when do you only slice meat in the Summer?  Would like to use the 20% coupon for them.
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I'll be keeping tabs on this as I am in the market for one too. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    I can recommend against the one sold by Shopko; the blade rotated so slowly I could put my finger on the flat of the blade and keep up with it.  I had to return it.  

BB&B always sends out those 20% off anything in the Store! coupons, but the small type at the bottom then excepts, I'm pretty sure, every single brand the damn store carries.  I hate that kind of false advertising.  
    X(

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

I'm hoping to find one in the $150 range.  Read good reviews on the Chef's Choice 615, but the Mrs. read that it was more of a "food" slicer and not a "meat" slicer.  Not sure of the difference, but meat slicer sounds more robust than a food slicer.
    Member since 2009
  • Solson005
    @Griffin just got that model and has been using it recently. Right before you made this post I asked him how he likes it. So we shall see probably tomorrow. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    I took 7 bb&b vouchers yesterday all expired and used them all at one check out on my 7 items no issues with exemptions.
    Lynnwood WA
  • I have the Chef's Choice 662, with extra serrated blade ($100). Used unit 1 time, never used the serrated blade. Total new now-roughly $525. I will sell all for $300. Shipping roughly $35. Used once because it's just me and hubby and thought I would use it. I live in NW GA
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    I have the Chef Choice 610 - $119 at Amazon and I just sliced my corned beef with it. I have also used it for turkey, roast beef, bacon, cheese and pork roast. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
    Thanks for the offer @krobertsmsn, but I was looking to spend around $150.
    Member since 2009
  • I can advise against the Waring Pro model.  Mine didn't last two years and it was a pain to clean.  I am holding out hoping to find a used Hobart but those cost $$ even used.  I might end up going with the Chefs Choice.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
    Looking hard at the Chef's Choice 615. On the website and as others have said here, chill the meat first before slicing, even freeze until almost frozen before slicing. What my concern is; how will it slice a warm or even hot roast? I'm thinking I want to do pit beef or beef on wreck sandwiches, and I want to slice it hot off the Egg. Will this slicer cut it hot without mangling it. Will any slicer cut a hot roast?
    Member since 2009
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited February 2013
    Mine is old, now the same as CC 632. Great machine. 
    @500, slicing meat, cause it is usually cooked, is easy for the slicer, moist meat is "self lubricating". Cheddar cheese is the real test. If you want, cucumbers are also easy, rather than use the kitchen knifes and the size of each piece is exactly the same - depends on what you are doing. As you note above, chilling is good idea for left over roast beef or pork loin for sammies, once the meat is cold you can take off paper thin slices. 
    Nice to haves include a tilt table, let gravity do the work and the slices fall away from the machine, easy to clean, smooth and serrated blade and the larger the blade the better. 

Good luck
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I'm happy with the 615.  For the money (cheap), it works fine, pretty easy to clean.  I run the slide and end-press thingy through the dishwasher (even though it says not to).  I'm a cowboy maverick.
    The 632 is on sale for $239. The 615 sells for $150. Decisions.
    Member since 2009
  • As much as I think that I want a slicer I have never been able to justify the cost for how many times a year I would use it.  Perhaps if I didn't have kids and had a little more time to myself I could see using one more but the seven year old and SWMBO do not care if the meat is perfectly sliced or not so I just keep a real sharp knife (like give you a paper cut to the bone sharp) where the kids can't get anywhere near it and use it the 4-6 times a year I would actually want a slicer to cut the meat.  Takes a while, but anything worth while does.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Who gave the green light?
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Got this for Christmas. Used it a couple times so far for a roast and to slice bacon and cheese and I am happy. It has built in sharpening stones that you can sharpen the blade with and its not too bad to clean but it does take 10 minutes or so to take the blade off and clean it well. It sliced cheese really well which is a challenge for many home slicers. http://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Food-Machinery-Slicer-CFM-12/dp/B003BHO3NY/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361327456&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=chivago+food+slicer
    edited February 2013
    Yea I bet that does agreat job. A little more than I want to spend though. It's either a slicer or the CGW swing rack. SWMBO gave the green light @IrishDevl.
    Member since 2009
  • @500 If you don't have an solution for multi tier cooking for the love of god get the swing rack
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Solson005
    edited February 2013
    The only problem is you will be able to make more food to need to slice. I love my swing rack, I threw a turkey breast on the top during the last 2 hours of a rib cook and got lunch meat for the week. Which is why I'm keeping tabs on this since a slicer is on my radar now. I was even able to leave the ribs in the rack after a couple hours, when I put the top grate in. 

I need to go in on one with a egghead in my area. Now that is a idea! Any oklahoma eggheads want to have a timeshare on a slicer?
    That is a great idea. I converted a friend and neighbor into an Egger. We could go in on a real nice slicer. I do have a way to get up in the dome. I have the simple Extended Rack that BGE used to sell.
    Member since 2009
  • Solson005
    My buddy is a general manger at a sandwich shop and they had 11 stores quit slicing at the locations and slice it at the corporate headquarters and saved thousands on liability insurance so there is 11 slicers collecting dust in a warehouse, but they are dragging their feet on my offer to make it 10 collecting dust  :D I will have to keep it in a bag in the garage because it is pretty big but thats ok if I can get it for around the price of a home slicer or free.. 
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Buy a ridiculously expensive one, return it for a much cheaper one and tAle store credit for the difference. When give green light go for broke.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    632 for me I paid $300 but also got the smooth blade. I only used serrated for bread. Here. Is a pic of me slicing bacon. The tilt feature is nice I have yet to use it in the other position.
    Seattle, WA
  • If you don't mind searching a little, Criagslist yielded me a Berkel 827 for $200. After a tear down and cleaning it runs like brand new one. Its the older version of the slicer but the parts alone with no motor are still selling for $250.00 so I thought it was a pretty good deal. It was from a restaurant that went out of business. Down side is the thing is huge and weighs over 60 pounds....

Just found a Hobart on Craigslist for $200.  No model number, picture, or description.  Kind of leery about it, but plan on calling.
    Member since 2009
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Picked this up from craigslist from a restaurant going out of business, a Hobart 1612. It's a 12" slicer made in the late 70's, built like a tank and runs great, for $300.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

I found a bunch on CL as well. But here is the deal. One only has so much counter space and I have a king size kitchen. Where do you store all this stuff? Can't be layin around on the counter covering up all the "prized" granite that SWMBO has in her control. Surely???

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Aviator said:

I found a bunch on CL as well. But here is the deal. One only has so much counter space and I have a king size kitchen. Where do you store all this stuff? Can't be layin around on the counter covering up all the "prized" granite that SWMBO has in her control. Surely???

dude, you hit the nail on the head, insofar as our crib goes.  We have one counter filled with appliances.  We have cabinets stuffed with them.  That's the first thought that goes through our minds when we consider buying an appliance - where the hell will we put it?  Kitchen renovation is on the horizon, but we aint got no sprawlin' burb monster kitchen.