Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Before Chainsaws

Options
Logging Monster TreesToday’s post is an amazing look at a period of our history that wasn’t that long ago involving the challenges loggers faced every day to earn their wages. Remember this the next time you think your job is demanding.Before chainsaws were invented, the logging industry in the United States & Canada was a seriously challenging occupation and we are only talking about 125 years ago. In the Pacific Northwest there were forests full of monster trees and cutting them down was done by hand. A friend sent me these photos and I had to share them with you.imageLook at the length of the two-man hand saw and heavy duty axes they used to drop these tremendous trees. It is almost inconceivable to think of cutting a tree this size with a hand saw.imageThe work required very strong men (and horses) working long days for minimal pay. Could you imagine doing this to earn a living?imageAfter a tree was finally felled it took a week or more to cut it up into sections that could be managed (somehow) and transported by train to a lumber yard.imageManeuvering the logs down the mountain to the train was a complex job. I didn’t do any research on this, but I would be willing to bet that many men lost their lives doing this dangerous work. One slip and a hunk of wood as big as a hotel is rolling your way! The other question that begs an answer is how did they get those logs onto the flatbeds of that train?imageHollowed out logs became the company’s mobile office. Can you imagine stacking such logs to build a log home? Two courses would produce a 30′ ceiling. Maybe that’s why it was easier to hollow out a tree.imageA long time before anyone ever thought of a “mobile home or RV” hollowed out logs were also used to house and feed the logging crews.imageWe are accustomed to our modern conveniences like electricity and gasoline powered chainsaws, and it is always such a mind-boggling experience to see how such monumental tasks were performed before these conveniences appeared on the scene.Share this with your friends, even those who don’t live in a log home will enjoy this ‘blast from the past’!

Comments

• RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Options
    Very interesting
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Fascinating. Thanks for posting. Those saws are unbelievable. I got frustrated the other day using a handsaw to cut little chunks of peach wood. I wouldn't mind having a man bunker inside one of those trunks.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    When men and women were real men and women.  I just fire up the Husqvarna and cut through anything, but would most likely drop dead if I had to use a handsaw.   
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    Just me or are images missing?

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Options
    Ya I can't see them either
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    Logging Monster TreesToday’s post is an amazing look at a period of our history that wasn’t that long ago involving the challenges loggers faced every day to earn their wages. Remember this the next time you think your job is demanding.Before chainsaws were invented, the logging industry in the United States & Canada was a seriously challenging occupation and we are only talking about 125 years ago. In the Pacific Northwest there were forests full of monster trees and cutting them down was done by hand. A friend sent me these photos and I had to share them with you.imageLook at the length of the two-man hand saw and heavy duty axes they used to drop these tremendous trees. It is almost inconceivable to think of cutting a tree this size with a hand saw.imageThe work required very strong men (and horses) working long days for minimal pay. Could you imagine doing this to earn a living?imageAfter a tree was finally felled it took a week or more to cut it up into sections that could be managed (somehow) and transported by train to a lumber yard.imageManeuvering the logs down the mountain to the train was a complex job. I didn’t do any research on this, but I would be willing to bet that many men lost their lives doing this dangerous work. One slip and a hunk of wood as big as a hotel is rolling your way! The other question that begs an answer is how did they get those logs onto the flatbeds of that train?imageHollowed out logs became the company’s mobile office. Can you imagine stacking such logs to build a log home? Two courses would produce a 30′ ceiling. Maybe that’s why it was easier to hollow out a tree.imageA long time before anyone ever thought of a “mobile home or RV” hollowed out logs were also used to house and feed the logging crews.imageWe are accustomed to our modern conveniences like electricity and gasoline powered chainsaws, and it is always such a mind-boggling experience to see how such monumental tasks were performed before these conveniences appeared on the scene.Share this with your friends, even those who don’t live in a log home will enjoy this ‘blast from the past’!
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    See if this works, it was fine before
  • AleBrewer
    Options
    no pics man.....
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    Ahhhhhh.... Damn you egghead forum. It is there for like 5 minutes then disappears.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    i saw them.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    :( cant see pics

XLBGE 
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options

No pics, didn't happen......

I always use Photobucket. Takes an extra minute to do but it's free and always works.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• FanOfFanboys
    Options
    I can't see pics but sounds interesting
    Boom
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    hate to hijack, sounded interesting to me so i google'd the topic

here is original article

good read

XLBGE 
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @MrCookingNurse -thanks for the link, couldn't view Devils pics either.
    Impressive. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Nothing like the monsters in Devil's post, This tree is over 250 ft high, located in Cathedral Grove on Route 4, Vancouver Island BC. 
    Not sure who the couple is, just needed people to provide perspective. The lumber company left the grove of trees due to their size and age. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    @mrcookingnurse - thanks for that. I was struggling. Pics would upload and the disappear.