Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For all you Bourbon drinkers

2»

Comments

• Jscott
    Jscott Posts: 174
    @ Lit, we are just east of 400 @ exit 13 too!
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Lit said:
    Exit 13 off 400. Wonder if total wine carries it. I usually check different whiskeys and haven't seen it before in the several stores local. Might have to cruise down to Roswell.
    when you see it, dont let the cheap label scare you off, its a very mild smooth tasting whiskey, even a little more mild than jameson its its less money, 20 dollars a fifth here
    Unfortunately, it's gonna be more than $20 down here.  I think around $25 if the store bottles it in.
  • Lowflyer
    Griffin said:
    Has anybody tried the Jim Beam Devil's Cut? Wondering if its any good or just a marketing ploy....
    @Griffin, I sell it and have had it several times.  I prefer Beam Black over the Devil's Cut myself.  Devil's Cut is 90pf and Beam Blk is 86pf.  I drink bourbon straight most of the time so I prefer the Black.  It's no Woodford if that helps at all, but it's cheaper too.  Try out a small bottle and see what you think.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Paddy was $41 for a litre at pops but it is really smooth. Jscot, lowflyer you guys gonna go to Georgia mountain eggfest?
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    100% true, called hidden inflation. Get used to it, won't be the last by far
  • Jscott
    Jscott Posts: 174
    Lit, is the GA Mtn Eggfest in late May in Hiawassee? I signed up to cook last year, got my spot and was all set. Then had a cub scout camping trip - I'm the scoutmaster and had to go. 
    Would love to make it this year though!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    Lit said:
    Paddy was $41 for a litre at pops but it is really smooth. Jscot, lowflyer you guys gonna go to Georgia mountain eggfest?
    thats a bit pricey. our new hampshire state liquor stores are inexpensive enough that other states do booze runs.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lowflyer
    @Lit what's the date? I would love too and I think the wife would enjoy. Gotta find a sitter for the 19 month old, she might not be too entertained.
  • Lowflyer
    Most stores bottle Paddy in down here, which can cause the price to jump up a few bucks. Our new pricing on the .750 makes a $23.99 retail by the case. Make take a lil while for that price to be reflected in the stores.
  • Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Makers Mark is a good bourbon especially for those who are just getting into bourbons. I have been enjoying Woodford Reserve when I want something mellow (prefer it over Makers Mark). Recently I have been enjoying Four Roses single barrel, Elijah Craig 12 year old, Blantons and Vintage 17. Going to crack open a bottle of Elijah Craig 12 tonight and hope I have a little bit left in the bottle when I wake up tomorrow. To me Elijah Craig 12 year old is one of the best bourbons for the money. Btw it's almost impossible to find Pappy Van Winkle in NC liquor stores.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I think pappy is almost impossible to find everywhere. I asked about it at my local total wine and was told it comes in November and is all gone the same day and they don't know which day it comes it just shows up.
  • Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    I do love good bourbon
  • Griffin said:
    Has anybody tried the Jim Beam Devil's Cut? Wondering if its any good or just a marketing ploy....
    Not my favorite but I do keep a bottle in my locker at the cigar shop. Not bad at all, really.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • I still have my bottle with black and gold wax from when the Saints womw the Superbowl. It gonna taste that much better when they do it again
  • The one bottle of MM that means the most to me is the one I dipped myself when we visited the distillery.  It was a trip with two other very dear couples in our Corvettes.  We try to take one trip a year with this group and that one was particularly memorable.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    @bettysnephew that is awesome, I will be visiting sometime in the next year or two when my barrel is ready.

I just have a hard time figuring out what to mix it with.. Old fashioned like usual or leave it on ice. I decided to try ginger for the first time tonight and like it so far! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    A friend was at Woodford Distillery today & told me that the 3 stills at Woodford cannot produce enough to meet demand so it is cut with Old Forester. This sort of validates it.http://www.bourbonenthusiast.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9411
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Solson005 said:
    @bettysnephew that is awesome, I will be visiting sometime in the next year or two when my barrel is ready.

I just have a hard time figuring out what to mix it with.. Old fashioned like usual or leave it on ice. I decided to try ginger for the first time tonight and like it so far! 
    ginger ale is great with makers.  if i don't have it on the rocks or in an old fashioned.  i like to throw a splash of cream soda in it.  I leave my sweater on my election year bottle from 2008, awesome read white and blue tripple dip on it.  
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited February 2013
    U_tarded said:
    Solson005 said:

ginger ale is great with makers.  if i don't have it on the rocks or in an old fashioned.  i like to throw a splash of cream soda in it.  I leave my sweater on my election year bottle from 2008, awesome read white and blue tripple dip on it.  
    I saw one of those bottles and a few others years ago and never even thought to collect them, they usually didn't last a full night before they were gone in those days. I got the ginger ale from a sweet place called Pops on Route 66, they have a giant soda pop bottle that has led lights and hundreds of different kinds. I happen to have a creme soda in the beer fridge too, i'll try that next. Thanks!

Here is a picture of Pops at night
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • For a real treat, try some Pappy Van Winkle if you can find it
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Just a note from my divorced days when money was tight and I still craved a bight and that is that the bottom shelf scotches Costco sells in the plastic two liter bottles still get you where you want to go and after the first sip or two they're just about as wonderful as the higher shelf scotches! Ask any homeless person!
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    edited February 2013
    Solson005 said:

H2O or club soda for me.

Sounds like our barrels may be ready about the same time.  I am actually involved with two barrels that are in the aging buildings.  The first one that will be ready (Grand Spot Pals) is from when our group consisted of four couples of the Grand Sport Corvette group.  Richard has since passed on and I know it will be a bittersweet reunion to share that particular bottling.  On a brighter note, I also enjoy the little perks like the sweater and the round ice cube tray that are part of being a Makers Mark Ambassador.

BTW:  Did you receive any email like the one from the OP about the proof being reduced?  I still have not, but it might be this #%^&**%#$  Windows 8 on my new confuser blocking stuff it doesn't think I am old enough to receive.

A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    edited February 2013
    Makers heard the people. They will remain 55% H2O.

You spoke. We listened. 

Dear Friends,

Since we announced our decision last week to reduce the alcohol content (ABV) of Maker’s Mark in response to supply constraints, we have heard many concerns and questions from our ambassadors and brand fans. We’re humbled by your overwhelming response and passion for Maker’s Mark. While we thought we were doing what’s right, this is your brand – and you told us in large numbers to change our decision.

You spoke. We listened. And we’re sincerely sorry we let you down.

So effective immediately, we are reversing our decision to lower the ABV of Maker’s Mark, and resuming production at 45% alcohol by volume (90 proof). Just like we’ve made it since the very beginning.

The unanticipated dramatic growth rate of Maker’s Mark is a good problem to have, and we appreciate some of you telling us you’d even put up with occasional shortages. We promise we'll deal with them as best we can, as we work to expand capacity at the distillery.

Your trust, loyalty and passion are what’s most important. We realize we can’t lose sight of that. Thanks for your honesty and for reminding us what makes Maker’s Mark, and its fans, so special.

We’ll set about getting back to bottling the handcrafted bourbon that our father/grandfather, Bill Samuels, Sr. created. Same recipe. Same production process. Same product.

As always, we will continue to let you know first about developments at the distillery. In the meantime please keep telling us what’s on your mind and come down and visit us at the distillery. It means a lot to us.

Sincerely,

Rob Samuels Bill Samuels, Jr
    Chief Operating Officer Chairman Emeritus
    rob@makersmark.com bill@makersmark.com
  • My current fav is Larceny, 92 Proof.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • IrishDevl
    Makers Mark wins the boob of the week award.
  • The retraction email just showed up on my computer, still don't know what happened to the first one.  I must give them credit for listening to their customer base and reacting to the desires of the people that purchase their product.  Entirely too many corporations today have the attitude that they will do what they think is best and damn the customer, they will buy it as we make it.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • IrishDevl

The retraction email just showed up on my computer, still don't know what happened to the first one.  I must give them credit for listening to their customer base and reacting to the desires of the people that purchase their product.  Entirely too many corporations today have the attitude that they will do what they think is best and damn the customer, they will buy it as we make it.

If they listened to their customer they never would have fond that in the first place. Just didn't estimate the harsh reaction and are now scared of major customer backlash.
  • Woodford Reserve....or Elmer T Lee... Jack is for weeknights.
    BOOMER!
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Trying Buffalo Trace for the first time over ice along with a NUB Habano, my standard test... Thinner taste with an almost scotchy finish. The alcohol burn is much more pronounced. Not bad, but I will probably spend the extra few bucks and go Woodford Reserve as my baseline and the Double Oak when I want to get fancy. Though I have to say; the Jim Beam black cherry is a nice little diversion at times.
  • I enjoy soaking cherries in the revels cut