Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First ribeye attempt-- need some guidelines

Options
Larrymac
Larrymac Posts: 103
edited February 2013 in EggHead Forum

Only had LBGE for 2 weeks-- 4 meals. So still basically an untested rookie.

I have 2 ribeyes about 1.5 " thick.
I can raise the grid if that is best.
I need guidelines for how long and at what temp to sear both sides and is dome closed ---and then what temp to cook indirect to get to the desired temp for medium rare.
I have Maverick and Thermopen.
How long to rest before serving
Any other advice I may not know yo ask?

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    ok i cook steak like once a week, i have tried regular, trex, caveman, hottub, reverse sear.  and i have become a reverse sear addict.  don't be in a hurry and you will get the best steak you have ever had.  I think i got this from skiddymarker but i'm not a 100% and i've had quite a few cocktails tonight.  here is the process. and set up. 

cast iron grid as low as possible then an indirect piece then another grid. 
    fire egg up and get stable around 250 ish.  
    set out steaks for about 30 mins to an hour before cooking.  dont season until right before hitting the egg.
    roast about 20-40 minutes until internal temp is 115-120 i like to add a chunk of oak for this part. 
    pull grid and plate setter.  let egg roar up to 500-1000 (how high is up to you, the higher you go the more carry over you will get during your final rest) with your lowest grid still in place.  or you can go cave man hear (its fun but not for the faint of heart)
    sear on all sides for about 60-90 seconds a side until your internal is about 5 degrees below final temp.  pull and let rest about 10 mins to eat.  enjoy, the final product is great and its always an different journey, i have had my egg for like 9 months and they never cook the same.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I would go with CI grate at lowest level, egg 500, hard sear with 1/4 turn on each side, remove and rest, should be mid rare. I just use sight , feel and experience with steaks. I always am guided by the knowledge that you cannot repair too done. They will be great. Enjoy!
  • Jscott
    Jscott Posts: 174
    Options
    Reverse Sear is the way to go!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options

Here's a link to the Trex and reverse sear methods discussed above.  BTW-this site is a great primer for all things ceramic-

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes2.htm#beef 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Larrymac
    Options
    In addition to the lump wood, what additional wood for smoke flavor would you use in the indirect phase with a ribeye-- or would you?
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Wood for flavor depends on personal taste.  I do hickory or oak.
  • Larrymac
    Options
    njl said:

Is not the lump wood already oak?
  • bccomstock
    Options
    My wood preference is hickory, but I've really loved the stuff I've done lately with maple wood chips.. They're just harder to find.
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • GGGNAT
    GGGNAT Posts: 14
    Options
    If you have a CI grate, I personally think the reverse sear is a huge waist of time.  Don't get me wrong, it will create a great steak but no better than just a straight cook.  I just don't see why I would ever want to spend an hour cooking when I can get the same result in 10 minutes.

Egg to 475 - 500 with a 1/4 turn every 2 1/2 minutes.  (that is 5 minutes a side)

Will come out perfectly Medium Rare on a 1.5 Inch Ribeye. 

Adjust as needed for thickness/cut/taste preference.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited February 2013
    Options
    For strip loin, NY, the reverse sear is the choice for me. For rib eyes, I prefer the reverse sear, but Trex works too - if I'm the only one eating steak. 
    SWMBO prefers well done, so like @U_tarded said, the initial roast is 20-40 minutes. I put her's on 10 minutes before mine and remove based on the IT of my steak - her's really doesn't matter as it will be at least 10-20F over mine. 
    The strength of reverse sear is the meat taking on a touch of smoke and spice. It also happens a little slower, which is nice for us accident prone cooks. 

Good luck

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • demo
    demo Posts: 163
    Options
    I do mine in a cast iron fry pan.  Direct get the pan HOT.  Cook two minutes per side and rest for 5-10 min.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,750
    Options
    im partial to the trex for that steak. the main reason is i dont like to burn the pepper and spice. i salt, then sear, take it off the grill and add whatever spice (usually just pepper) let it rest 20 to 30 minutes to let the meat relax and the spice to meld in while i lower temps to 350/400 dome, then finish roast it. i dont time any of this, i drink a beer and sear, i drink a beer and rest, i drink a beer and roast, sometimes i drink a beer and eat
    :D seriously, dont go by times, get a thermapen, i let the internal temps reach about 125 to 127 with a ribeye, its a little higher than i go with other steaks
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Larrymac
    Options

im partial to the trex for that steak. the main reason is i dont like to burn the pepper and spice. i salt, then sear, take it off the grill and add whatever spice (usually just pepper) let it rest 20 to 30 minutes to let the meat relax and the spice to meld in while i lower temps to 350/400 dome, then finish roast it. i dont time any of this, i drink a beer and sear, i drink a beer and rest, i drink a beer and roast, sometimes i drink a beer and eat
    :D seriously, dont go by times, get a thermapen, i let the internal temps reach about 125 to 127 with a ribeye, its a little higher than i go with other steaks

So when cooking this method it's just lower temps when not searing-- but never indirect. Correct?

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Larrymac said:
    Is not the lump wood already oak?
    Depends on the lump you're using, but even if it was, I think you'd get additional flavor from some fresh oak vs just oak based lump.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Good oak lump burns very clean. If you watch your first burn on a new egg , the heat exhaust is virtually clear and clean and virtually tasteless. Only with the introduction of animal fats or wood chips/chucks do you get smoke. That is another great feature of cooking with pure lump. You can bake a cake without any off flavors, if desired, just not on a dirty egg.