Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Valentine's day Traditions

What does every one do? (Keep it clean)

We have been going out to the same restaurant for the last 6 years, love their food and we have some great memories there.

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    we usually do fondue here to avoid the eating out fiasco on valentines day, then we do a nice meal a few days later.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    We usually go out to a nice dinner, but have a seven month old. Friday night we have a babysitter for 5 hours to go to a black tie charity event so tomorrow night will probably be at the house with the son and the egg.. Any suggestions of something to cook? Not red meat. Going on 3 nights in a row of beef which is fine with me but not SWMBO.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • We stayed in and had grilled T-bone steaks and twice baked potatoes even before I got my first Egg.  Now that we have added two Green Eggs and two human children, we do the same thing....except before we get to the steak and the twice bakeds there are pizza and wings.  Thank heavens I am good at adapting to change.
    :D
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • We're still newly weds only our 2nd together.... Sooooooooo.....
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    I have been no carb no starch for a month now.  Pizza sounds almost better than the prime filet and lobster tails I am going to do.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Our V-day tradition is Kraft Spaghetti, yes the stuff in the green box.  That was as good as we could do in the dorms back in college. 

This year I'm home with the kids while SWMBO will be in Chicago on business, so I'm thinking burgers for us and one of Rick Bayless' places for her.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited February 2013
    Kroger always has snow crab on sale this week. Picked up a few pounds today @ $5.99 per. lb this has turned into a tradition. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    lwrehm said:
    Our V-day tradition is Kraft Spaghetti, yes the stuff in the green box.  That was as good as we could do in the dorms back in college. 

This year I'm home with the kids while SWMBO will be in Chicago on business, so I'm thinking burgers for us and one of Rick Bayless' places for her.
    Topolobampo used to be a great place when we lived in Chicago. Remember having a goat milk caramel thing for dessert that was terrific.

I'm making a rack of lamb wit homemade tzatziki sauce for her since she loves lamb chops.Wilted spinach on the side. Maybe baked apples for dessert. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Going to stay in and cook up some venison chops.
  • We attend a Valentines Dinner at our church.  $40 per couple for prime rib, potatoe and salad plus wonderful friends.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• @skiddymarker hard to top that....but since this is the first year in about 6 that I am not deployed overseas, we have decided to do meatballs on the BGE and spaghetti.  the kids (7&9) are pretty excited.  Homemade sauce, meatballs, a good dry red.....is there anything better?  oh yeah makers!
  • Me and the SWMBO had a weird experience with restaurants on V-day so we always eat in.  Lots of good wine and she likes different finger foods like cheese fondue, bacon wrapped dates, veggies with bacon, chocolate desserts, etc
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    MDSH and I go out to someplace different every year and have a late lunch around 2ish. Not much in the way of crowds. In the evening a little music, some wine, cheese and bread. Good day for all. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Mrs B swang by Whole Paycheck and spent 200 bucks on gourmet she-it (not all of it for Valentine's day)....

So we'll have a cheese board, some sides, a couple of dry-aged ribeyes, 6 small lobstah tails (3 oz each).  I'm going to hot-tub the steaks in my sous vide rig to 120, then sear.  I'll grill the tails with garlic butter.

My mom might be coming in town, she's been incommunicado on a cruise ship, but we hear they're towing the ship (engine fire) to Mobile, and they've booked 1500 rooms in New Orleans and Mobile.  Hopefully she'll get a NOLA layover and she can tell us the saga of her nightmare cruise.  Ship is supposed to port Thursday evening, so we'll see what happens.  Last time she made contact was during a brief window when her cell worked off a passing ship.  Might have to break bread and make Valentine's dinner work for three, but we'll have plenty o food.
  • SWMBO is the best of the best. For the 42 years we have been married she has made a from scratch butterscotch pie with a simple graham cracker crust and meringue topping. I eat the whole thing. Valentines Day is my birthday which always seems to take precedence over any roses, candy or jewelry she deserves. 

Pulled pork, North Carolina style, my favourite going on in the morning.... followed by butterscotch pie. Will take two days for the blood sugar to normalize. 
    Just the thought of a homemade butterscotch pie makes me dizzy ! Yum
    500 Posts: 3,177
    My youngest daughter's 11th birthday was yesterday, so tonight is her dinner choice.  She chose beef fondue.  So that's tonight, cause yesterday, the older daughter had swim practice.  We don't like to go out around V-Day anyhow, because the restaurants are crowded and we feel service lacks.  Plus we can Egg something better if we hit Fresh Market or a butcher shop.  And tonight is a VCU basketball game, and we want to watch that.  Busy night, getting all that in plus a little  :-*.  Go Rams!
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

We (and by we, I mean me) always cook up something special (last year was beef short ribs) and then we'll go out to eat later on during the week when the restaurants aren't so busy and doing their "special" Valentine's Day menu.

Unfortunately, this year, Mrs. G is in Germany, so I'm by myself. Might be fast food tonight out of laziness.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Usually do steaks, baked potatoes but SWMBO is out of town so I'm thinking of making myself a pizza with the stuff I have left over from Calzones. Open a nice bottle of Malbec and watch some TV
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Mrs B swang by Whole Paycheck and spent 200 bucks on gourmet she-it (not all of it for Valentine's day)....

So we'll have a cheese board, some sides, a couple of dry-aged ribeyes, 6 small lobstah tails (3 oz each).  I'm going to hot-tub the steaks in my sous vide rig to 120, then sear.  I'll grill the tails with garlic butter.

My mom might be coming in town, she's been incommunicado on a cruise ship, but we hear they're towing the ship (engine fire) to Mobile, and they've booked 1500 rooms in New Orleans and Mobile.  Hopefully she'll get a NOLA layover and she can tell us the saga of her nightmare cruise.  Ship is supposed to port Thursday evening, so we'll see what happens.  Last time she made contact was during a brief window when her cell worked off a passing ship.  Might have to break bread and make Valentine's dinner work for three, but we'll have plenty o food.
    I sorry to hear you mom is on the Poop of the Seas....
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    500 said:
    My youngest daughter's 11th birthday was yesterday, so tonight is her dinner choice.  She chose beef fondue.  So that's tonight, cause yesterday, the older daughter had swim practice.  We don't like to go out around V-Day anyhow, because the restaurants are crowded and we feel service lacks.  Plus we can Egg something better if we hit Fresh Market or a butcher shop.  And tonight is a VCU basketball game, and we want to watch that.  Busy night, getting all that in plus a little  :-*.  Go Rams!
    Congrats to your daughter. My birthday was yesterday, too. Although, I am 19 years her senior. 
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

This is our first V day since the Egg.  In the past we would always go out for a nice dinner, drinks, and dessert.  I asked her where she wanted to go this year and she said: "We aren't going out this year.  I really would like you to Egg a filet with that special bleu cheese sauce and a baked sweet potato.  We can open a bottle of wine and make this a special evening."  Sweeeeeeet!!!!!

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• I'm not a V-Day person so it's just like any other day around here! :x ;)

I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    dlk7 said:

This is our first V day since the Egg.  In the past we would always go out for a nice dinner, drinks, and dessert.  I asked her where she wanted to go this year and she said: "We aren't going out this year.  I really would like you to Egg a filet with that special bleu cheese sauce and a baked sweet potato.  We can open a bottle of wine and make this a special evening."  Sweeeeeeet!!!!!

Literally exactly what my fiance asked for.  Replace the word sauce with the word butter.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • @milesbrown4, glad to hear you are home with those you love. enjoy it. Grew up as an Army brat, Dad was a career soldier in the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corp, he saw a number of theatres mostly with the UN, Japan, Korea, Germany, Egypt, Congo, Cyprus and all over Canada and a short stint with support in Texas (FT Hood I think)
    He seemed to be away so much serving, but we did enjoy the times we had together, thanks for all all you do and sacrifice from some one who knows. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    We do whatever. Tonight it will be at home. Cowboy Ribeyes, Lobster tails and grill corn and squash.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Ordered in live lobster and mussels from  Maine...less expensive than a nice dinner out, and no crowds or bad service.  Going to make lobster rolls with some of the lobster meat.  
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    We've been married for 20 years and for the past 18 we have stayed home and made a special meal.  We usually go out for a nice meal on her birthday which is Feb. 10th.  On tonights menu is bacon wrapped filets, dwell in the shell lobster tails, asparagus and garlic bread.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

Well, went home on my lunch break to get the house ready, table set, and to get out my salt block to cook salmon and shrimp on at the table tonight. It was in about 5 pieces!!

So, change of plans. Looks like I am doing a rack of lamb, grilled asparagus and grilled polenta cakes with tomatoes, basil, and parmesan on top. Got some strawberries to dip in chocolate afterwards.. Hope everyone has an enjoyable safe night.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013