Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long to cure fresh apple wood?

Does anyone know how long wood should cure before it is ready to use for smoking. I have access to more apple branches than I could ever use. Also, do I need to take the bark off before I use it? Thanjs.

Comments

• Your question is not an easy one to answer. The easy answer is that you should stack and cure until it's dry! But how long it takes depends on how you stack and the average relative humidity. Wood will cure MUCH faster in Colorado where the relative humidity is low than it will dry in Houston where the relative humidity is quite high. Also, stack your wood so that each piece has optimal airflow in and around the stack, usually a cross-cross pattern. A good average would be 3-6 months. As for bark, I'm decidedly not a fan of smoking wood having bark. I feel bark adds a harsher flavor than no bark. This is because bark has chemicals to protect the tree from all manner of insects, etc that the wood itself doesn't. So, I debark when I use wood. I wish you well in all your cooks!
  • jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232

Your question is not an easy one to answer. The easy answer is that you should stack and cure until it's dry! But how long it takes depends on how you stack and the average relative humidity. Wood will cure MUCH faster in Colorado where the relative humidity is low than it will dry in Houston where the relative humidity is quite high. Also, stack your wood so that each piece has optimal airflow in and around the stack, usually a cross-cross pattern. A good average would be 3-6 months. As for bark, I'm decidedly not a fan of smoking wood having bark. I feel bark adds a harsher flavor than no bark. This is because bark has chemicals to protect the tree from all manner of insects, etc that the wood itself doesn't. So, I debark when I use wood. I wish you well in all your cooks!

Thanks. I live in central PA and the humidity is quite low in the winter. The branches where cut off about 3 months ago.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    If you have an endless supply, try burning some and see how it burns and smokes.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364

Here in the midwest, seasoning means 4 seasons...1 year. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Great questions, were you reading my mind? I posted something similar a while back. I am in the same boat as you , I have access to peach tree branches/trimmings up the street at an orchard. Also they have apple and nectarine trees. I was also wondering about the bark. There are piles of branches there that were cut a few years ago, so I think they should be good. Can't wait till I can get up there to get some.
  • fairchase
    fairchase Posts: 312
    edited February 2013
    Green wood smokes just fine , and green fruit wood actually imparts a slightly sweeter taste than when seasoned. ( I think )
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited February 2013
    fairchase said:
    Green wood smokes just fine , and green fruit wood actually imparts a slightly sweeter taste than when seasoned. ( I think )
    Yes - if you are burning the wood in a fireplace, it needs to be seasoned, if you are using it for smoke wood, the bark is good and it is ready as soon as it hits the ground. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    FTYI...Myron Mixon only uses fresh cut peach wood...never dried...so try the fresh apple..you just may like it.
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    edited February 2013
    I think you should kiln dry it and then soak it for 48 hours before use ;)

Gerhard

Seriously it just struck me as humorous that lots of people are concerned that their wood is so dry that it burn to quick and you were concerned it was too wet.  I think what is important though is that you keep it off the ground with good air circulation if you are storing it for a longer period this is to prevent mould and fungus from growing on it.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

I did some "just trimmed" from the tree peach wood in Jan - thought it worked well.

Had seasoned for about 48 hours.

Cookin in Texas
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Throw it on the fire, it will cure as it burns. :D

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .