Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar Plank Salmon-First try

egghead4bama
egghead4bama Posts: 25
edited February 2013 in EggHead Forum
Going to try to Cedar Plank this weekend. Any words of wisdom? I plan using Dizzy Pig RR for the rub and cooking @ 375 for a internal temp of 150. How long do I need to soak the planks for? Anything I need to keep an eye out for? The only experience I have with fish on the grill is Crappie in foil. I have seen several post about cooking on planks so it thought I would give it a try.

BGE-XL

North Alabama

Comments

• canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    I would soak the plank for at least an hour.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited February 2013
    Definitely cook indirect. Do you have a setup for indirect heat? I would soak the plank for minimum of one hour. Honestly I usually submerge mine before work and then use it after work but that is overkill. Once egg up to temp put plank on grate to start to smoke slightly. Then place salmon on. I have had better results like this. Also doesn't hurt to have spray bottle with water handy in case plank starts to catch on fire. This is why I suggested an indirect cook. Good luck. Seems harder than it is.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • @Chubbs... Yes I have a plate setter for indirect.

BGE-XL

North Alabama

• Chubbs
    Perfect. Good luck with the cook and take some pics. Any idea what you are putting on the salmon?
  • Just going to use the DP Raging River for the first time. I will adjust on the next one. I just like to keep it basic to start off. Thanks to you and canegger for the input!

BGE-XL

North Alabama

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I thought the plank makes the cook indirect. . Anyone know for sure?
  • Chubbs
    Sounds great. Look forward to hearing about it
  • I did it tonight. Salt, pepper and EVOO. On the plank direct at 350. I soak the plank for 30 minutes on one side only (the down side). That keeps it from burning but allows the top side (which your fish is on) to get plenty of flavor from the wood. Don't have a pic from tonight but here is one from previous cook...done the same way.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    I don't soak, do spray topside with cooking spray, cook indirect at 250-300F dome, Raging River, until Salmon reaches 140F internal temp. If I have time I brine. Always have some veggies ride along on another rack.
  • Adding real maple syrup as a glaze at the end of the cook can really add some flavor when using raging river if you like a glazed salmon.  Honey also is a nice addition. Good luck with the cook.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    I have done it direct with just the plank and works good that way too. It makes it some what indirect
  • If doing raised direct, I soak the plank overnight, sink it with a brick. Indirect soak is still 2 or three hours. Lemon, dill, S&P - no rub for us. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    I do mine raised, direct, 350 to temp of 135. I soak for at least an hour and sometimes more. Like Scottboras said, basting with honey or maple syrup gives the salmon a nice bronze color. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Did it last night, always a crowd favorite. Need to try the lemon tho.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    How many times can u use the plank?
    Seattle, WA
  • Lowflyer's looked like he had used his many times or may just burnt it up on the first go around.  The cook sure looked good though.
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    @1429trucker, it's been used 5-6 times. I go indirect most of the time so the flame doesn't hit it directly. It does look pretty charred tho.
  • Not sure what thread used the word "robust" to describe cedar plank Salmon but IMHO it was dead on! It was good ..the wife (who does not like fish) loved it. I went indirect with the dome temp  of about 395 for most of the cook. Thanks for the help! Sorry... I cant upload any pics for some reason.

BGE-XL

North Alabama

• Not sure what thread used the word "robust" to describe cedar plank Salmon but IMHO it was dead on! It was good ..the wife (who does not like fish) loved it. I went indirect with the dome temp  of about 395 for most of the cook. Thanks for the help! Sorry... I cant upload any pics for some reason.
    Those west coast Indians (First Nations) have been onto something for centuries. Green, wet cedar is almost impossible to burn and it will split into a flat easy to serve off of platter with the dullest of tools (sharp rocks). 
    Once the plank has been used and dried out, it can be used for kindling. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216

What did you think of the fish at 150 IT?  I normally serve at 140ish.  Just wondering what you thought of the texture, taste, etc.  For me, 135 IT is too mushy in the center.

• I always go direct when I plank salmon. I try to get mine off the egg around 130 - 135 like Granny x 4. + 1 on the maple syrup glaze, very nice with beautiful color. Also stop by your local supplier and get a bag of alder wood chunks or chips, perfect with salmon. Cedar is not my personal preference for planking (turpentine taste). I have found alder and maple planks at lowes that I like a lot with salmon.