Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

prime rib?

Anyone inject?
Why cut the bones and tie back?
If no bones...still tie?

Thanks
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    When I do one with bones I only cut so I can put a whole bunch of garlic and seasoning between the bone and meat then I tie. I just did a boneless a week or so ago and did not tie. photos of that cook attached. I have never injected one though. Cooked at about 275 indirect pulled at 129...

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Don't inject.  Easier to cut the bones off before it's hot.  Easier to carve w/o bones.  Only reason stuff gets tied is if it was de-boned or a roulade, or some such reason.  Tie holds it together.
    One other reason to tie would be to get as close to a uniform shape as possible-even cooking throughout.  Lots of prime rib cooking options-try the search here (a weak function at best) and if that doesn't yield much just google and add Big Green Egg to your query.  Easy cook and great results!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292

With a good cut of meat i always keep it simple.  Salt, pepper, garlic.  Reverse Sear method, roast at @ 250 till around 120 degrees.  Take off egg, rest.  Raise egg temp to 500 and sear.  If you are going to spend the money on good meat you want to taste the meat, not the rub/seasoning

• Biggest worry is over cooking it !!  Only a few degrees between success !!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I've done a few. Came out good. Always looking to improve. Jr...looks good.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

Henapple, like you I have done it with and without the bone.

To me, when done without the bone, i can sear all around when i do the reverse sear. With the bone in place, not so. So now I buy without the bone, why pay for it.

Or you can buy it and get tasty beef ribs .....

Its all good. ribs make excellent apps during the libations part of the cook.

:))

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Buy with the bone, have your butcher take them off. Use the bones for au jus, tie the roast to make it round, that way when you low and slow it before the reverse sear, it will cook evenly. 
    Basic salt and pepper or a quality PR rub like Penzey's English Prime Rib.... Let the meat speak for itself. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!