Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Injecting a brisket

MrCookingNurse
MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
edited February 2013 in EggHead Forum
Anyone do this? Been catchin up on BBQ pitmasters and Tuffy Stone injected his brisket, actually one first place. Obviusly he didn't share what he put in his but it looked amazing afterwards. Was thinking about getting a brisket and trying it.

Any thoughts?? I'm thinking of something salty and savory

Just got this in mail too! Grandfather won a cabelas gift card and didn't need it ;)

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

XLBGE 

Comments

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I inject mine, I usually just do a Flat. Flat out Tasty I usually use a beef broth/ worcestershire, black pepper mixture., 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Max232
    Max232 Posts: 76
    Same here, I inject just beef broth.

Stereo egging w/ xl and med eggs! BBQ guru

http://www.facebook.com/BeerGutsAndPorkButtsBbq

• My boss injects his brisket, but he cooks it on a Traeger so he has to.
    LBGE South Dakota
  • Butcher BBQ prime injection. Mix with beef broth, thank me later ;)
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Rebellab said:

My boss injects his brisket, but he cooks it on a Traeger so he has to.

Oh snap! What a burn! (compressed sawdust, that is)
  • Rebellab said:
    My boss injects his brisket, but he cooks it on a Traeger so he has to.
    BOOM!!!

@solson005 have you tried injecting from the start? just curious how you got to injecting at 160

XLBGE 
  • I have used this one several times and like it.

2 cups beef stock, 1 tsp salt, 1 tbl worchestire, 1 tbl good bbq rub, 1 stick butter. Simmer 30 min. Inject when cooled. Simple, easy and good.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!

• I have used this one several times and like it.

2 cups beef stock, 1 tsp salt, 1 tbl worchestire, 1 tbl good bbq rub, 1 stick butter. Simmer 30 min. Inject when cooled. Simple, easy and good.
    this sounds like a great place for me to start!! thanks dave

XLBGE 
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited February 2013
    Following a recipe a long time ago pre-egg, it came out nice and juicy so I've stuck with my method. I don't do briskets often enough to try one before and one halfway but might have to give it a try sometime. I do flats and have always liked the results. I heat mine and let it cool as well.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    The 2 best brisket I ever made I injected with Lawreys steak and chop marinade strained and then mixed with some beef stock. Of course I have made several with the same injection that weren't terrific too so take it for what it's worth. Ha! Brisket was my nemises on the WSM but after 5 or 6 I started to get more conisitent resluts. Now I am struggling with it on my egg as well. I hope after a few more I start getting better results!
    XL BGE
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    +1 on the Butchers BBQ Prime Injection. I have used the prime injection with just water, but you can add cola in lieu of h2o and add more beef flavor by adding a product called prime dust to the injection mix.keeps meat moist throughout my cooks and adds some flavor, but like said don't be afraid to doctor it up if you want.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

I have used this one several times and like it.

2 cups beef stock, 1 tsp salt, 1 tbl worchestire, 1 tbl good bbq
    rub, 1 stick butter. Simmer 30 min. Inject when cooled. Simple, easy
    and good.

One of my favorite finds on here. Did pulled beef the other day...CI DO, roast simmering in Dave's broth mix. Better than any au jus imho.

On a side note. Why to we say in my honest opinion? Would we say in my dishonest opinion?

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • The more letters in an acronym the better, so IMHO > IMO
  • @Solson005 suggested the beef broth and Worcestershire mixture at 160 to me this past weekend.. I used it in conjunction with the Travis-style on my brisket.. Had moisture on the outside from the beer and moisture on the inside from the injection.. The brisket was sooo tender and juicy.  And I actually didn't warm the mixture up either.

I have used this one several times and like it.

Might have to try this one sometime.. Sounds good.
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I thought it was " in my humble opinion".
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Sorry...I'm not up on my abb on the net. I guess it would be imco.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I don't inject and for the most part never have! I do a low-n-slo at 225* - 235*F to an internal temp of 195*F. Then it's wrapped in plain butcher paper, foiled, toweled, and coolered for 2-3 hours. Tender, juicy, and delicious! I don't do flats, I always do the entire brisket. The reason I do the entire brisket is my guests and I love the point. I think if you trim too close things can get a bit dry and nobody wants that!