Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE digital thermometer from Maverick

Options
Anyone have one?  I picked one up from my local dealer assuming it would be pretty similar to thermapen.  Maybe it is, I don`t know but I have used it once and am not impressed.  I calibrated it in boiling water and it is dead on.  Used it tonight on some steak.  First, there is nothing instant about it.  Probed one steak and it started out at 98 and slowly climbed to 157 degrees. So slowly that I had to switch hands holding it as the heat from the coal was too much to tolerate.  When I cut into the steak after resting, it was medium rare at most. Not sure if it was picking up heat from the grill or what was going on.  

How do the thermapens work?  Any better?  Do you think there is any chance my dealer will take it back?  Perhaps I am using it wrong?  Thanks.
XL BGE

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Yes. Thermapens are much better. You get a temp in less than 3 seconds. I'd contact your dealer and explain your dissatisfaction.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited February 2013
    Options
    The MAV/BGE uses a thermistor, the Thermapen uses a thermocouple. The Thermapen is the speed king of "instant" reads, probably two to three times faster than a thermistor. Watch out for other thermocouple thermometers, they are not as quick or as dependable as the Thermapen, well worth the investment. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    Thanks. I intend to so tomorrow. Very disappointed. Lesson learned - I will for sure research future purchsases before buying. Thanks again.

One question - did you get your thermapen directly from their website? Just a little leary of giving someone in England my cc information.
    XL BGE
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Pretty sure I got mine on Amazon but typically Amazon doesn't have the full range of colors most of the time. Ended up getting purple, would have preferred red or black, but it does the job flawlessly.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Thermoworks has a us division in Utah. They are shipped from there and that is who you call for support.
  • SPRIGS
    Options

Thermoworks has a us division in Utah. They are shipped from there and that is who you call for support.

Can I call them to order as well? Thanks for the information everyone. I do appreciate it!
    XL BGE
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Options
    May want to check the site to see if they still have the open box sale. It was 69 bucks a couple weeks ago.
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • Eggcelsior
    edited February 2013
    Options
    SPRIGS said:

Can I call them to order as well? Thanks for the information everyone. I do appreciate it!
    Yes

800-393-6434 M-F 8-5 mountain time
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    While you are at it, check out their infrared unit, it is on sale for $49, together, you might just get a deal on shipping....

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    open box ended online but i called and they had a few leftover.  just ask, super nice people.
  • SPRIGS
    Options
    Dealer took the egg thermometer back no questions asked.  Just placed my order for the thermapen.  Forgot to ask about the open box sale.  Thanks guys.
    XL BGE