Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Flop

Ya know the saying, "Pizza. Even when its bad, its still pretty good?" Well, that doesn't apply at all to meatloaf. When its bad, its bad. No two ways about it. @dawsonhull brought up meatloaf Monday and it got me to thinking I haven't done one in awhile. The next day I saw some ground beef on sale and I decided it was time to make some again.

Instead of playing it smart and using a tried and true recipe, I looked for some new ones. I found one that looked to be promising, so I thought I would give it a whirl. Wasn't real sure what the best way to set up the Egg with an AR, still working on figuring that out, but I went 350, stone on the second level (with a drip pan fashioned out of foil), oval grate on the third level. Apple chips for smoke.

Can't believe how red it looks in that picture. Might have been soemthing to do with the flash? Anyway, started basting one of them at the 45 minute mark when it had reached 115ish. Mrs. G didn't want anything on top of hers. I used a half ketchup/half Stubbs bbq sauce with a bit of worsey sauce, some Lousiana hot sauce and a squeeze of lemon.

Finally pulled them at I'm not really sure when. It was after 7:30, but I wasn't paying attention and/or I just forgot. Whenever they reached 160ish.

Kind of a bummer. We just really didn't care for the flavor, although I'm sure the dogs would have happily devoured it. Not gonna post a link to the recipe because they are an internet friend and I don't want to hurt their feelings, nor do I want anybody to try it. I will say the only thing I altered in the recipe was using red onions instead of regular. That was just because I had half of one already cut up that needed to be used. Don't think it seriously affected the flavor much, but I'll use white from now on. And I'll go back to one of our other recipes. Hope everybody else's night cooking went better than ours.

And BTW, the new Photobucket sucks. Maybe I'm just not used to it, maybe I need to switch to somebody else. I don't like it at all.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Hi Griff,

Thanks for sharing anyway.  FWIW- it looks pretty tasty from here!  

I have found in my limited experience that I don't care for red onions when cooked.  I love them cold, but I have tried cooking with them and they turn somewhat bitter. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• I have had some very good meatloaf results in the past.  My last was a total failure because i "over smoked " it.  The smoke taste was so overbaring, we threw it away!!  No more will i smoke a meatloaf !! 
  • Griff - you have a Mac? Use iPhoto. 
    Anyway, meatloaf needs bread crumbs, eggs, milk, spices. I like the onion in it, but I do saute the onion a tad first. The ground beef you have looks a little to lean for my taste, but then I don't have much taste. 
    Our favourite is a 75/25 mix of 80/20 beef with ground pork. By the looks of your ghetto drip pan. there is not much spooge (Nola's word for fat dripping) in it. 
    They look good and I prefer the "glaze" on yours.  
    Thanks for sharing or in the case of the recipe, not sharing!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    What did you not like about the meat loaf? was it a texture thing or the flavor itself? Just curious - I'm no meatloaf expert, but have wanted to try one for a little while.

+1 about the new photobucket. I reverted back to using the old version.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Smoked meatloaf is amazing. I would not give up on it Charlie.
  • Yeah....bad meatloaf is just bad. Not much you can do for it. I'm a big fan of the Cooks Illustrated meatloaf. It's a bit fussy and time consuming to make, so I usually make at least two at a time. They freeze really well, and they come out fantastic on the Egg!
  • Bummer.  I made a meatloaf once -- it was so bad the dog turned her nose up to it.  True story.  I'll never make it again... that's how bad it was.

Regarding pictures:  I use iPhoto as a library and edit and Flickr for online storage.
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • It wasn't the meat, because i buy from the local farmer who runs a continuous ground chuck sale like five pounds for thirteen bucks -- always a great product!!  I just didn't think that i could "OVER" smoke it, but i did.  Kind of like over smoked chicken, it reaches a point of no return!! :-O
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

@SmokeyPitt - I found the onions to be too sweet.

@Charlie_tuna - you have to go light on the smoke and use a lighter smoking wood like apple or cherry as ground beef absorbs smoke like a sponge.

@Skiddymarker - nope on the mac. The meatloaf was 2 lbs of 80/20 with 3 eggs, panko bread crumbs (a first for me) and a bunch of spices and other stuff. Not sure on when the picture was taken on the egg, if that was right when it went on or later. I tired looking at the properties of the photo, but then realized the time on my camera must be off.

@caliking - I think it was more of a flavor thing. It did seem a bit dry even though it wasn't overcooked. I don't think you can use the old version of photobucket and still use the editor anymore. Can't crop and adjust pictures, at least I couldn't.

Just in case I was totally wrong, I did bring a few slices with me to work. I'm about to go retaste them. Maybe I was being a bit too harsh on it.

***Disclaimer - NO alcoholic beverages were consumed during this cook. :) ***

Rowlett, Texas

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

Dude, you know the rule. "Drink Alcohol While Cooking"

I got some apples that will make that the best cook you have ever done.

Remind me to tell you what happened to the squirrel in my back yard. NOT GOOD!

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

500 Posts: 3,177
    Griffin said:

***Disclaimer - NO alcoholic beverages were consumed during this cook. :) ***

Maybe that's why it didn't taste good.
    ;))
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    The best meatloaf I have made had more breadcrumbs then anyone would probably imagine.  Keep adding until you like it. More than one egg also may not hurt. I'm also more inclined to an 85% mix than 90 or more lean, but my wife makes incredible meatloaf with ground turkey (white and dark meat).  I prefer a smooth texture so I mince any onion or anything else that may be going in it.

Just keep after it .. we're doing the same thing with mac and cheese. who knew 1950s comfort food was so difficult.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    TUTTLE871 said:

Taking a short break. Its now been 84 hours without a drop of alcohol or a cigarette at our house. Things are a bit testy and we are a little irritable. X( Wanna come over? :)) Not sure how long its gonna last, cigarettes hopefully forever, alcohol maybe until tomorrow. And you can keep your apples, you evil, evil man! You gotta tell me about the squirrel next time.

Rowlett, Texas

• Texas BBQ rub has a great meatloaf recipe.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Griffin said:
    TUTTLE871 said:

Taking a short break. Its now been 84 hours without a drop of alcohol or a cigarette at our house. Things are a bit testy and we are a little irritable. X( Wanna come over? :)) Not sure how long its gonna last, cigarettes hopefully forever, alcohol maybe until tomorrow. And you can keep your apples, you evil, evil man! You gotta tell me about the squirrel next time.

Well done @Griffin. 84 hours is impressive. Ditch the cigs, but man I dont know about the alcohol. Something about my porch, my egg, my dog, and a glass of woodford that keeps me sane.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • @Griffin - SWMBO will not let me use Panko crumbs when making meatloaf. She claims it to make the loaf too dry. I've never noticed a difference. Think I read it on this forum somewhere, but she prefers crumbled soda crackers. Panko is great for schnitzel and deep fried chicken wings/parts. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    edited February 2013
    Haven't had a beer(or any bourbon either) since sitting at BWI airport watching pre-game super bowl crap.

Probably won't have any either until the next time I go home in two more weeks. Living on the road in motels can drive you a bit nuts....no Egg to cook on, no motorcycles, no dogs, etc...

I have been going to gym 5-6 days a week and walking for an hour at 3.5 - 4 mph with an incline. Between that, and the no beer and cutting waaay back on carbs, I'm hoping to lose another 15lbs very quickly.

The wife has purchased VIP tickets for a local brewfest that's going on next time I'm home. The VIP ticket also includes a bourbon tasting....looking forward to that, so I'm trying to be very good for now!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Say it ain"t so Coach.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• @Griffin - SWMBO will not let me use Panko crumbs when making meatloaf. She claims it to make the loaf too dry. I've never noticed a difference. Think I read it on this forum somewhere, but she prefers crumbled soda crackers. Panko is great for schnitzel and deep fried chicken wings/parts. 
    The Cooks Illustrated meatloaf uses crushed saltines....I think they gave the same reason against bread crumbs.
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    edited February 2013
    Well, at least they looked good ;). Sometimes that's half the battle.

I don't use Photobucket, but I see we're both on Wordpress so maybe I can help you with the images.  Just load them into your Wordpress media library. Then click the View button on the image, then right click on it and select View Image. It will open in a new browser window and you can just use that url when posting.

BTW - what flavor of the adjustable rig are you using? I'm thinking about getting one and need to decide if I want sliding grates or not.

Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Griff - you have a Mac? Use iPhoto. 
    Anyway, meatloaf needs bread crumbs, eggs, milk, spices. I like the onion in it, but I do saute the onion a tad first. The ground beef you have looks a little to lean for my taste, but then I don't have much taste. 
    Our favourite is a 75/25 mix of 80/20 beef with ground pork. By the looks of your ghetto drip pan. there is not much spooge (Nola's word for fat dripping) in it. 
    They look good and I prefer the "glaze" on yours.  
    Thanks for sharing or in the case of the recipe, not sharing!
    Oh dear. "spooge" means a different kind of glaze where I grew up. Nola has a dirty mind.
  • Me & Wilma are on Atkins and bread crumbs are a no-no.  Been jonesing for meatloaf for a while.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited February 2013
    Me & Wilma are on Atkins and bread crumbs are a no-no.  Been jonesing for meatloaf for a while.
    Fred - I also use Penzey's English prime rib rub mixed in the 80/20 beef pork mix, no, eggs, no milk, no crumbs - comes out like a giant smoked burger paddy, with attitude. Guess you could top it with catsup...ketchup or whatever it is called in your neck of the woods. 
  • AleBrewer said:
    @Griffin - SWMBO will not let me use Panko crumbs when making meatloaf. She claims it to make the loaf too dry. I've never noticed a difference. Think I read it on this forum somewhere, but she prefers crumbled soda crackers. Panko is great for schnitzel and deep fried chicken wings/parts. 
    The Cooks Illustrated meatloaf uses crushed saltines....I think they gave the same reason against bread crumbs.
    There you go, that's where i saw it, thanks.
  • Chubbs
    You brew but don't drink @ Alebrewer? That's tough.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Sorry Griffin...I've never cooked any bad cooks...cough, cough.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Chubbs said:
    You brew but don't drink @ Alebrewer? That's tough.
    Well, it actually been awhile since I've brewed too. When I got my Egg, and joined this site, I was brewing(and drinking) on a regular basis.

Since then, I have taken a new job that requires me to travel most of the time. I just don't have the time to brew as much as I used to. Although, I was just saying to the wife that we should brew a Pale Ale next time I get home. As for not drinking....just trying to shed some extra weight for now. I will get back to limited drinking when the weight is off.

Sorry to Griffin for sidetracking the thread.......

Give the Cooks Illustrated meatloaf a try, I think you can find the recipe online somewhere....I don't have it with me.
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Looks darn good from here! I can almost smell it! I like to use 80 / 20 ground chuck, 2/3 rds beef to ground pork. Use 1 egg per pond of meat and rolled oats till I like the texture.

You got me hungry for meatloaf now!!!!!
    XL BGE
  • Chubbs
    Griff, how was it at lunch?
  • Guess I am in good company...My meatloaf FAIL thread:

3 on a scale of 10...with two bonus points awarded for effort.

Everybody gets a throphy, right? 
    :P