Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Buns for Pulled Pork

Doing two 8lb pork shoulders rubbed with Dizzy Dust, apple and cherry chunks and a North Carolina Vinegar Sauce.  Just wondering what type of buns people use?

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Like white bread or cheap HamBurger buns
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Lots of people like plain old cheap hamburg buns. I like to use ciabatta rolls when I can get them.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I use the potato rolls from Publix bakery with the white on top when we have a lot of guests because they are small. Great compliment to the pork.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • I like simple, quality buns.  Publix has a french hamburger bun that works well -- it doesn't fall apart when I pile on the PP, sauce, and slaw.
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited February 2013
    Has to be a quality bun, else it will become a soggy mess and fall apart - we tend to use Lexington sauce and slaw so the PP is a tad on the wet side. I like a high gluten Italian bread same as we use for Italian beef, holds together. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292

Anyone use those little Hawaiian Sweet Rolls or Pretzel Buns?  I am thinking the pretzel bun might be to much bun, especially since these will not be swimming in BBQ suace.  The hawaiian sweet rolls could be good, but i am afraid they will not hold up well, even with just a little sauce.

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Big fan of mini potato buns.
  • Best Bun = No Bun.  Why take anything away from the pork and slaw.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887

Kings Hawaiian sweet rolls are delicious!  We've never used anything else.  True, they are delicate and can be messy, but napkins fix that problem quickly. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I like these:

...slider potato rolls.  This way people can try different sauces and toppings; and the smaller buns seem to hold up nicely.  There is less chance of that bottom bun "flap" that releases the pork :)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390

Best Bun = No Bun.  Why take anything away from the pork and slaw.

Hand/finger bun.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Ditto; Martin's Potato Rolls
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    MikeP624 said:

Anyone use those little Hawaiian Sweet Rolls or Pretzel Buns?  I am thinking the pretzel bun might be to much bun, especially since these will not be swimming in BBQ suace.  The hawaiian sweet rolls could be good, but i am afraid they will not hold up well, even with just a little sauce.

That's what we use - the little square dinner roll size. I like the sweetness and the fact that you can make a slider and have different versions :  +/-sauce, +/- slaw, etc. Plus if you are cooking for a big group, the small rolls let everyone get a decent taste, and stretches the amount of meat you make. I usually make pulled pork for work pot-lucks and parties.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    edited February 2013
    Has to be a quality bun, else it will become a soggy mess and fall apart - we tend to use Lexington sauce and slaw so the PP is a tad on the wet side. I like a high gluten Italian bread same as we use for Italian beef, holds together. 

Have to agree here.  A quality roll/bun adds to the sandwich....in my opinion anyway.

I don't really care for the traditional BBQ pulled pork....so when I'm serving pulled pork, it's done with a bunch of Italian style spices....garlic, fennel seeds, rosemary, etc. Kinda like a porchetta....but easier to do. It's a nice change from regular bbq pork, and everybody seems to really like it.

For that, I like the ciabatta rolls with some sharp provolone, roasted red pepper. I brush some olive oil on the cut side of the rolls, and grill them for a bit. If we are serving this at a party, I cut the rolls in half so people don't have to take a full sandwich if they don't want one.
  • Big Marty's are the best.  Available at Publix.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    The pretzel buns from Costco are good with anything. I have used them for sliders, meatloaf sandwiches, and pulled pork all were good.
  • The solution to the "sloppyness" that the slaw dressing causes can be totally controlled by the use of Artisan Chibatta Rolls.  They have a hard crust on the outside which seals in all the goodness of the slaw(and in my case, some hot sauce).  And if you toast them before serving, they are twice as good!!  They also freeze very well... 
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292

Thanks for the input.  Since I will have a ton of PP, i think i am going to go with few pretzel rolls (my wifes favorite), some potato rolls, and then a good chibatta roll. 

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Hawaiian Sweet Rolls. They can make eating grass clippings incredible.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• SaltySam said:

Kings Hawaiian sweet rolls are delicious!  We've never used anything else.  True, they are delicate and can be messy, but napkins fix that problem quickly. 

+1 Those are my favorites.
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    MikeP624 said:

Thanks for the input.  Since I will have a ton of PP, i think i am going to go with few pretzel rolls (my wifes favorite), some potato rolls, and then a good chibatta roll. 

Somewhat off topic and a shameless plug for one of my previous cooks:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Martins Potato rolls are our favorite as well. The come in two sizes slider rolls and regular size available at Publix.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • seadub
    seadub Posts: 20
    Texas Toast Bread just not toasted
  • MikeP624 said:

We just used them last Friday for a platter of pulled pork sliders at a party.  They held up well, no problems.  

I normally prefer plain cheap burger buns because that's how I had it as a kid in North Carolina. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    +1 on Hawaiian Sweet Rolls here!   ;)
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    MikeP624 said:

We just used them last Friday for a platter of pulled pork sliders at a party.  They held up well, no problems.  

I normally prefer plain cheap burger buns because that's how I had it as a kid in North Carolina. 
    There is nothing better than picking up the pork and slaw with your fingers after the bun disintegrates. BBQ is the ultimate finger food. There is no substitute for them on real Carolina BBQ.