Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Breaking in the BGE in the Caribbean

Options
The wife and I just got back from visiting our friends in the tropics.  We have gone down there a few times now and were excited upon arriving this trip to see a new BGE on the back porch of the condo.  Not a bad way to break it in!  We did the lobster two ways.. butterfly and steakhouse style both under direct heat.  I don't think you can go wrong either way.  

I will say most people will cook the lobster meat side up when grilling.  A good way to try is to cook with the meat side down for the first 1-2 minutes then flip and finish with the meat side up.  This does not dry lobster out but instead helps sear and cook faster.  I cover the tail lightly in olive oil before placing on the grill, once I flip to meat side up I add a cube of butter on top to finish.
2.jpg 89.6K
3.jpg 73.2K
4.jpg 61.9K
1.jpg 69.8K

Comments

• seadub
    seadub Posts: 20
    Options
    I threw a picture of some fresh Conch ceviche in there as well.  One of my all time favorite appetizers drizzled with some pickapeppa spicy mango sauce
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    As beautiful and tasty as all that looks (and it really does), was kinda hoping to see some pics of the beach in the background maybe, some sand and surf. Looks like a good time to me, for sure.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Where is that? Outstanding looking food. I am with Griff in need beach shots. It is 99.999% as is, but why not get 100% ^:)^

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• seadub
    Options
    I can't show them all ;)
    10.jpg 86.8K
    5.jpg 67.2K
    9.jpg 72.8K
    8.jpg 76.4K
  • Griffin
    Options
    There ya go! See? That wasn't hard. Envious of your trip. I need to get out of the states for awhile.

Rowlett, Texas

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Now thats a way to break in a BGE! Very nice and I'm envious as well!  =D>
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • jbates67
    jbates67 Posts: 168
    Options
    Great looking pictures....the cooks and scenery. I'm in south FL and catch lobster all the time, wish we had more conch here. One of my favorites is the conch salad you get on the docks in the Bahamas that the locals make.
  • Mickey
    Options
    Pic's =D>.... Where was it?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• johnkitchens
    Options
    The food looks very tasty!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • sola
    sola Posts: 118
    Options
    Say bro. Care to share that ceviche recipe?
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    St.Maarten? St.thomas? Maybe the bahamas??
    Looks great right about now!!
    :ar!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    I was happy just looking at the great food - it is 45F outside and raining, with no chance of sun for some time, now I'm depressed - Thanks Griff/Mickey (you morons) :))
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    Options
    @skiddymarker..your depressed at 45!!! Come to Pittsburgh, its a balmy 29 and snow, I'd kill to have some 45 degree weather!!!

@seadub...great pics all around!!!
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    @Skiddymarker-come on...45*F in the Great White North in Feb is beach-like weather....now finding any sunbathers may be a stretch :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @lousubcap and @CGW1 - yeah I know - family in Ontario is hunkered down with cold and snow, but us "wussy" Canucks from coastal BC often shovel what little snow we get in our Birkenstocks. 
    Not sure if coastal BC is actually part of the Great White North. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • MattyMc
    Options
    What town are the pics from? I want to go!
    Chester County, PA
  • seadub
    Options
    Pics are from Georgetown, Grand Cayman.  

The ceviche recipe is real easy.  Fresh Lime, Fresh Cilantro, Medium Red Onion, Medium Jalapeno, Tomato, Green or Yellow Bell Pepper and most importantly Fresh Conch.

1) pound the conch, then cut into small pieces.  Place in bowl (not metal) squeeze enough limes to cover conch and place in fridge for 1-2 hours.

2) Next chop all other ingredients real fine and mix together in another glass or plastic bowl (no metal bowl).

3) drain all lime juice from conch (this is key).  

4) add conch to all the veggies and squeeze the juice from 1 fresh new lime over everything.

5) Salt & pepper to taste

6)) If you can find it, mix in a little pickapeppa spicy mango sauce to taste. 
  • Mickey
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Spent a nice vacation on Seven Mile Beach several years ago.

• sola
    Options
    Thanks, been looking for a good recepie. Sometime something so simple is difficult to replicate.
  • Griffin
    Options
    I was happy just looking at the great food - it is 45F outside and raining, with no chance of sun for some time, now I'm depressed - Thanks Griff/Mickey (you morons) :))

Sounds like a personal problem. We reached the 80's yesterday, sunny and light clouds. Sunny again today with highs around 64s. What happened to winter? I think I'm going to have to mow my lawn for the first time this year. Kinda worried about what summer is going to be like....

Rowlett, Texas

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I wish I was Eggin in the Caribbean.  10-20 inches of snow forecasted for here tonight.  I hate the cold.

Garnerville, NY
  • gabriegger
    Options
    Just north of Toronto, the view from here. Shoveled last night and again this morning at 6am. Now 1:20pm and going out for more. Looks like the neighbor isn't in a hurry.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• Mickey
    Options
    What about us. We get snow once each 3 years and it lasts almost all damn day. Hate winter.....

• gabriegger
    Options
    @Mickey my heart breaks for you man!  PM me with your mailing addy and I'll send you a good shovel

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• Charlie tuna
    Options
    I would love to have access to  FRESH Caribbean seafood products.  Many years ago i ran a large seafood market in south Florida, and i used to eat very good!!  Pair that seafood up with an Egg would be heaven!!  This was before people realized how good fresh conch was!!  i had salesmen from the Bahamas begging me to buy beautifully cleaned conch for fifty nine cents a pound !!  Now i can't even find frozen and it's over six bucks a pound....  I used to cook whole Hog Snapper with the head and cavities stuffed with fresh crab stuffing....How the egg would make those meals extra-ordinary !!
  • seadub
    Options
    Hog fish is my absolute favorite fish on the planet.  To me it does not get better than fresh hog fish ceviche!  Not to hijack my own thread but here are some pics from the keys this past season.  Those are all lobster under the hogfish in the cooler :D
  • seadub
    Options
    That was our meal for the ride in on the boat
  • seadub
    Options
    picture of the scenery on the ride in
  • sola
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Scuba of free dive? What type of gun do you use?
  • seadub
    Options
    free with a riffe