Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last Meal... Ever

I just got word that a friend has terminal cancer and doesn't have but a few month to live. He is coming my way to go Red fishing one last time (kind of a bucket list thing). So I wanted to surprise him with a good egg cook. So if it was your last meal that you could have on the egg what would it be ? 

Comments

• Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    So sorry to hear about you friend, but real happy he has you to spend these last moements filling that bucket. How about a Standing Rib Roast ( Good old Prime Rib) take care and good luck
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • Max232
    Max232 Posts: 76
    edited February 2013
    Very sad to hear about your friend, I would find out what his favorite is, or maybe he would want to try something he has never had. Cook what y'all catch( very satisfying to grill the fresh catch)

Stereo egging w/ xl and med eggs! BBQ guru

http://www.facebook.com/BeerGutsAndPorkButtsBbq

• Today i had a pork butt that i needed to cook -- time wise.  Started the prep at noon.  Cooked it turbo style and it hit my target of 210 degrees six hours later.  In the meantime i made the standard KFC cole slaw.  We pulled the pork after a rest and served it on TOASTED Artisan Chibatta rolls, some hot sauce on the side.   Ain't nothin better !!
  • Nothing more satisfying that eating a fresh catch the same day. Sorry about youre friend.....speaking as someone who has cancer tell youre buddy that doctors do get it wrong. Anything is possible F$&K CANCER
  • For the bucket list:  Car Wash Mikes Ribs with cold (26degree beer) then sit back and cook the fish late at night with a star lit sky and think of the good times and talk about meeting to do this again on the other side..life is a shadow don't waste a minute on sadness, fill all the nooks and crannies with joy...

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    That really sucks and I am sorry to hear that.  I'd probably recommend a 2.5" porterhouse, but definately ask him, then come back and someone will know how to make it perfect!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • As others have suggested, ask him.

If it were me, I might have to say steak and lobster. But my personal favorite off the egg is wings, so If it were my last meal ever it'd have to be that. 
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    I would get a good prime dry-aged rib roast and then some king crab legs.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Whatever it was I'd throw some abt in there...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    seeing how not much makes me happier than a goober sandwich with spam spread and miracle whip on an onion roll while on a flats boat with my fly rod i would start with that, or is it a drift boat with size 26 nymphs, or is it on my boat trolling tandem  streamers for landlocks, or is it sittting in the middle of a frozen lake with my traps set waiting for the venison stroganoff to heat up, or is swatting greenheads as the stripers move in shallow to feed, always with company.... huh, the egg wasnt involved. maybe its just sitting outside talking late at night with a good cigar , old friends, ands some 18 year old scotch.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • The time we all have is short. Every day is a gift.

So sorry to hear about your friend.  All I can say is that I hope whatever condition he is in when you cook for him will allow him to enjoy the meal with his friend.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • makis
    makis Posts: 81
    Company is what's important. Wings beer and a big lough is a great way to spend time.
  • All of the above. Maybe + 1 on the monster porterhouse.
  • I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe 2 things:

1) Find out his favorite meal and do that.

2)Low and slow something like pulled pork bbq or brisket. See if it's possible to get him for the time the cook takes, not just the meal. The best part will be the fish stories with some beer next to the egg, not just the food itself.

I agree. Get some cigars too. Cherish the memory and talk about the good old days.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    edited February 2013
    JWBurns said:

I have a different take on life.. And mine is gathered from seeing first hand that life is short, and I've seen firsthand more than my fair share of death.. So my take my rub some people the wrong way.

I say **** it. Life IS too damn short. Party while you are here and enjoy it! If he's your best buddy like you say, I'd burn as much time off work I had. I'd travel, I'd see the world together. I wouldn't sit around my back yard and cook an f'ing pork roast, but hell, that's me. Live life with zero regrets. Go with him, catch reds together. Be by his side. Laugh, joke, go enjoy life!

Been there done that man. It's over too quick. Enjoy it while its here. Make the most of it. We only got one shot. Take advantage. Most people won't understand my take on things, but who cares.. It's my experiance that's brought me this far.

Agree 100%. I too understand where you are coming from. Do whatever makes him happy. That may be sitting around your egg and cooking and eating. If so, do it. But don't waste any time. Heaven and hell are both full of people who thought they had "another day" or they would do it "another time".

So sorry to hear about your friend! Enjoy every minute you have with him!!!
    XL BGE