Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cart plans - Design ideas - Help.

robnybbq
robnybbq Posts: 1,911
edited February 2013 in EGG Table Forum
Here is my cart ideas.  Hopefully I can have the lumberyard cut the pieces for me that may help this along.

The frame will be pressure treated 2x4's.  Connected with decking screws  Will have 4 inch casters on the bottom - 2 locking type and 2 free wheeling.

The doors will have 1x4's as their frame backded with some sort of paneling/wainscoting that will be sealed.  The sides will be covered bu the same with finishing molding on the corners, tec.  The tops of the cart will have a 1/2 plywood covering with some sort of stone, granite that I can find.  The inside bottom will be 1/2 plywood and will install shelves somehow. 

How does this look.  Am I missing something structurally?  I am thinking I may need another 2/4 across the sides and possible diagonal for strength and to mount the shelf brackets to.

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• robnybbq
    edited February 2013
    Wood cuts

2x4's
    4 - 29 inches
    4 - 21 inches
    4 - 30 inches
    2 - 34 inches (will have to be cut at home horizontally for side support)

1x4's
    4 - 9 inches
    6 - 28 inches (two will have to be cut at home horizontally for door support)

Paneling
    1 - 36x30
    2 - 24x30
    2 - 16x28

Counter top stone
    38 x 26 x 2 inches

4 cart wheels

Garnerville, NY
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    looks good.  I wouldn't use any treated lumber.  Terrible to work with.  If you want to go cheap, buy some #1 fir.  Make it so water sheds off of it (angles, drain holes, etc) and use a spar paint. 
    I agree with Nola...cedar, cypress, Ipe. Plenty of support under the egg...maybe a 4x4
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • robnybbq
    This is just for storage for Eggcessories and more counter space outside and maybe a place to put a Mini.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    And drain hole in the floor and angle the top a little?  Are 2x4's enough for the frame?

Garnerville, NY
  • nolaegghead
    You don't want to angle the top.   The top will be stone - you don't care if water gets on it.  Angle any horizontal surfaces so water doesn't collect.  I'll try to find a pic.

You don't have to angle the stuff, I'm just mentioning that because outdoor wood durability is a direct function of keeping it dry. 
    Gotcha.  Everything would be under the stone top so that "Should" work.  The sides are exposed but water can pool there.

If I cant find a piece of stone (or similar) cheap enough what about a Tiled top?  My guess would be to spar seal the piece of plywood on top covered with harvey board or durock concrete piece then the tile on top.

Garnerville, NY
  • nolaegghead
    For the top, if you want to tile it, you can glue (or thin set) two pieces of cement board together as a substrate and completely eliminate the plywood.  Get some bullnose tile for the edging and regular tile for the rest of it.  Then grout, seal.
    Or you can pour a concrete top, like this (maybe not so thick)....

I got a quote on Granite - $500 for a 26x28 piece.  Too expensive for a cart that will probably not workout or last.

Tile might be a good option but I am afraid of cracking tile when moving the cart around on the deck or form the extreme cold to heat in the summer with humidity.

May have to rethink this some more.

Garnerville, NY
  • nolaegghead
    There's tile made for outdoors.  On a cement board substrate, it'll last forever and handle anything mother nature can throw at it.  A tile top would be inexpensive to make.  Think about all the tile you see outdoors.

You might want a cutting board top.  Keep it oiled and you can refresh it every year or so with a little sanding.
    You can also put on a stainless steel top, probably pick one up for about $100.
    thanks.  I'll look into those as well.  I have seen lots of tile outside but on a moving cart that will flex - would he grout and/or tiles just crack of water gets underneath the tile in the winter?

Garnerville, NY
  • nolaegghead
    plenty of people on this forum tile the tops on their egg tables.  I'm in a hot climate so I'm not really qualified to speculate on freezing weather's effect on tile.  maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can chime in.
    cool thanks for your help.  I need to build something fast as there is way too much Egg stuff all over the house and I can never find what I meed when I need it.

I'd rather be in your climate but maybe a few more years.  I need to take a trip back to Nola soon - I miss that cajun food.

Garnerville, NY
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    robnybbq said:
    I need to take a trip back to Nola soon - I miss that cajun food.

No doubt cajun food is great, but you live (assuming) in NY.. you have anything you want to eat at your disposal.  Jealous of both of you.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • robnybbq
    Just north of NY city.  I do not go down there that much - PITA to get in and out and expensive.

Food around here is good but I need to learn how to cook at home better so I can save some money and loose weight. 

Garnerville, NY
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Also, look for a piece of scrap granite. There will be significant discounts on that. Plus other solid surface tops like Quartz might be an option.

I also like the SS top idea. It just might get hot in the summer, so make sure it's shaded.
  • robnybbq
    Not much shade on the deck. Will look around.

Garnerville, NY
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Hook up an umbrella bracket to it.
  • nolaegghead
    Another alternative is to take something like this, salvage the top and wheels and build a base around it. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NSF-Rolling-Workbench-Table-with-Stainless-Steel-Cutting-Top-Adjustable-Shelf-/261132263721?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cccb22129
    I still want this or the corner one but its allot of money.

Garnerville, NY
  • Boy Rob I like that Corner unit, what are they asking for that?

If you are just building a storage cart I think I'd go with SST like NOLA said, Easy to clean and no worries on cracking like tile. If you can find a metal shop they could probably custom make a top for your plan for about $100
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Tile or a natural stone will hold up. Just make sure you match your tile, mastic and grout as needed. I used an epoxy grout we use at work. It is used in 0 degree freezers, mop sinks and under ovens...very durable.
  • robnybbq
    My guess the corner unit is ~$4K  the smaller unit is ~$2K on clearance locally.  Its allot of money that is why I do not have either.

Going to a home show this weekend to see if a contractor would build the cart for me.  It seems simple but I can see pieces of wood being launched off of my deck all over the yard.  Plus I want it to look nice.  Guessing by the time I buy a saw, nail gun, and extra pieces of wood when I mess it up I might be able to buy the one in the picture.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq said:
    Just north of NY city.  I do not go down there that much - PITA to get in and out and expensive.

I spent 9 months working at a new IBM chip plant in the Fishkill/Poughkeepsie area back in 2001.....some great food in that area! Went into the city on several occasions.....Greenwich village is such a nice area to visit.

I lived in Buffalo and had an outdoor table with tile on it. No problems with cracking tiles or anything like that.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Check craigslist...I saw a basic BGE style for $300. Maybe someone could build the table but leave the top for you to finish.