Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

All this Bacon talk....

Comments

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Same as Chubbs.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    billyray said:
    Same as Chubbs.
    Haha. @billyray gave me the advice...
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    NDG said:
    @chubbs . . I wish I could help but anything I share would just be a guess.  I am proposing another question below (sorry), but hopefully my response "bumps" your question up for more expert attention.  

My belly is at day 4 of the cure and I have a quick question about the "skin".  The skin is currently still on (per ruhlman's advice for maple-cured smoked bacon) during the cure, but I am not clear if it should be removed before the cold smoke or not?  This recipe finishes with a HOT SMOKE and then he removes the skin, but I am doing a COLD SMOKE . . so should I smoke with skin on or off?

Thanks for asking that I was just thinking the same thing! Im on day 3 cant wait to see the results. @billyray does the skin come off easily?

Lynnwood WA
  • Chubbs
    double said:
    NDG said:
    @chubbs . . I wish I could help but anything I share would just be a guess.  I am proposing another question below (sorry), but hopefully my response "bumps" your question up for more expert attention.  

My belly is at day 4 of the cure and I have a quick question about the "skin".  The skin is currently still on (per ruhlman's advice for maple-cured smoked bacon) during the cure, but I am not clear if it should be removed before the cold smoke or not?  This recipe finishes with a HOT SMOKE and then he removes the skin, but I am doing a COLD SMOKE . . so should I smoke with skin on or off?

Thanks for asking that I was just thinking the same thing! Im on day 3 cant wait to see the results. @billyray does the skin come off easily?

Short answer is yes. I can answer for after cure only though. Need a sharp knife and a little patience. I had two 5 lb slabs. One piece came off really nice and clean. The other, I lost a little of the fat between the skin and the meat.
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Patience hmmm I battle on that front...
    Lynnwood WA
  • billyray
    You should be able to get it off in one piece with a sharp knife and the patience Chubbs mentions. If you ever do a hot smoke, you take it off as soon as you can handle it after the smoke. It comes off really easy, Your knife goes through the fat like butter.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Chubbs
    double said:
    Patience hmmm I battle on that front...

Yeah, my knife skills are admittedly novice at best. I had to stop once and crack open a Stone IPA then finish.
  • billyray
    Yeah, beer and patience go good together. =))
  • Chubbs
    billyray said:
    Yeah, beer and patience go good together. =))
    The real test is going to be hand slicing the bacon....
    [-O<
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Yes, the final hand slicing wont be pretty for me . . all the homemade bacon pictures I have seen seem to be done on a $3,000 hobart slicer.  First bacon attempt for me, all about taste.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • billyray
    The first slab I did I used a 12" Forschner slicing knife (see pic). I've since bought a used 12" Hobart slicer for $300 and I'll be able to go thinner.
  • Chubbs
    Great looking bacon. I hope my turns out like that. I am 3 deep at a bar getting takeout since the weather is bad so slicing is going to be interesting
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Chubbs said:
    Great looking bacon. I hope my turns out like that. I am 3 deep at a bar getting takeout since the weather is bad so slicing is going to be interesting
    Make sure you count your fingers before and after slicing.
    I got 4 belly chunks that are about 1.25 lbs each. I have had them rubbed and in the fridge a couple days but mine have the skin trimmed already is that an issue?
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    Lit said:

I got 4 belly chunks that are about 1.25 lbs each. I have had them rubbed and in the fridge a couple days but mine have the skin trimmed already is that an issue?

Not an issue at all I always skin before hand. It's a pain but I think worth it when smoking and slicing.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Thanks I was worried when I saw everyone talking about skin on. I did the basic rub from charcuterie and then added dark brown sugar and maple syrup hopefully its good.
  • Chubbs
    Sliced and packaged tonight. Cooked some and will never buy store bought again unless I have to. Incredible texture and flavor. Pics later.
  • Chubbs
    edited January 2013

Will upload more pics on Monday- out of town. . Here is the final sliced pic of the maple cured. Turned out great. Great texture and just the right amount of smoke (6 hours) for us. Thanks to all who helped me along the way.

EDIT--- Pic posting small. Will repost more pics later. The coloring is fantastic.

• billyray
    Nice looking, job well done!!
  • NDG
    Great work, looks like you nailed it!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Looks good, tiny, but good Chubbs!
    We are having a chili cook off in our hood for superbowl. I plan on hot smoking and then cubing a couple pounds of my belly then sear it in my wok and then add it to the chili. I am going to do pulled beef for the other meat just worried its gonna be more like a stew than chili.
  • Chubbs

Looks good, tiny, but good Chubbs!

Yeah the pic came out small. Will post the pics when I get back in town. They are on camera. That was only one had on phone.
  • Looks/sounds like it was a success. Nice work! Welcome to your next obsession. :)
  • Kempy
    Kempy Posts: 188
    Nice work Chubbs.  Mine are sitting in fridge uncovered and going on in the morning.  Fingers crossed.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    Kempy said:
    Nice work Chubbs.  Mine are sitting in fridge uncovered and going on in the morning.  Fingers crossed.
    i'm excited for you, i have to ration it at my house we go bacon crazy when we make it.  its game changing.  i netted just over 9 pounds on my last belly about 2 weeks ago and i have a feeling its about time to start some more.  you'll love it.
  • Kempy

7.5 punds done so far and more smoking away.  I may post more pix later in another post.  Here is a preview.  On the plate their is a piece of savory and mable, each smoked with hickory.  Both were very good.I think both SWMBO and I liked the maple a little more. 

On the BGE currently is a savory and maple but I'm using applewood this time.

• NDG
    Pulled from cure after 8 days, washed and sitting on cooling rack to form pellicle.  
    Also got a bulb to dangle in egg to bring up temp for tmrws cold smoke with maple pellets.  Any last minute suggestions?
    Columbus, OH

• Kempy
    NDG said:

Pulled from cure after 8 days, washed and sitting on cooling rack to form pellicle.  

Also got a bulb to dangle in egg to bring up temp for tmrws cold smoke with maple pellets.  Any last minute suggestions?

Depending on how cold it is you might not need the light bulb. I found out that in 20f weather the ams heated the egg up to 40f. If you do need the bulb, make sure it does not interfere with the egg's air flow. I think on one of my cold smokes I had the bulb too close to the chimney and enough air wasn't passing through and the ams went out. But it could have just been too cold out or I didn't have the ams lit well enough.
  • NDG
    @kempy . .great tips, thank you.  I am thinking about putting the lightbulb in early to raise the temperature then pulling it before the belly/ams go on.  It is 25 F here now.  Two other quick questions:

- do you have to clean out the fire box or can I place the AMS directly on used coals?
    - do you cold smoke with the belly at default grate level, at felt level, or raised above felt level?
    Columbus, OH