Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Pork Butt - Turbo vs no turbo observations

Over the summer I cooked two 8 lb bone in pork shoulders at 250 overnight for 18 hours until the pork hit ~197 and the bones pulled out with no resistance.  The exterior was black and crispy (looked like a meteorite) and the flavor throughout the pork was awesome.  FTC for 4 hours and lots of rave reviews.

Yesterday I cooked a ~8 lb bone in pork shoulder at 250 for 4 hours then wrapped in foil with some apple juice (turbo) for 2 more hours.  Meat got a little hotter as my Maverick died but pulled the meat at 205.  Not much of a bark at all but some.  FTC for 4 hours and then pulled the meat apart.  The flavor was just OK.  The mat was juicy and tender but lacked of flavor.  The meat had a small smoke ring and if had a piece of pork that had some light bark it was tasty but the middle was bland.

Both cooks I used Byron's Butt rub and mustard. 

Now the ease of the turbo was great as it was a 6 (+1 hour for Egg temp ramp up) hour cook. - lack of flavor in the middle.

Flavor - the overnighters hands down would win if I wanted the flavor but they take forever.

Garnerville, NY

Comments