Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt - Turbo vs no turbo observations

Over the summer I cooked two 8 lb bone in pork shoulders at 250 overnight for 18 hours until the pork hit ~197 and the bones pulled out with no resistance.  The exterior was black and crispy (looked like a meteorite) and the flavor throughout the pork was awesome.  FTC for 4 hours and lots of rave reviews.

Yesterday I cooked a ~8 lb bone in pork shoulder at 250 for 4 hours then wrapped in foil with some apple juice (turbo) for 2 more hours.  Meat got a little hotter as my Maverick died but pulled the meat at 205.  Not much of a bark at all but some.  FTC for 4 hours and then pulled the meat apart.  The flavor was just OK.  The mat was juicy and tender but lacked of flavor.  The meat had a small smoke ring and if had a piece of pork that had some light bark it was tasty but the middle was bland.

Both cooks I used Byron's Butt rub and mustard. 

Now the ease of the turbo was great as it was a 6 (+1 hour for Egg temp ramp up) hour cook. - lack of flavor in the middle.

Flavor - the overnighters hands down would win if I wanted the flavor but they take forever.

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• Sounds about right. If we are using a strong serving sauce and slaw on the PP sammies, turbo seems to be OK to me. The vinegar in the sauce (Lexington) and the slaw enhances the flavour that is there and bark is not as important. 

If we are serving more as a stand alone with BBQ sauce as an adder, the bark and meat taste is much more important and the low and slow smoke is preferred. (My favourite)

Other times, we still crock pot it, SWMBO's favourite - all depends on the desired result.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Hmmm I wonder how Myron Mixon and other champion BBQ'ers win with fast butts??? That is where I learned the fast butt technique. I love it.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    I like the amount of bark on my Turbo, but I cook at 350.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Mickey - you do 350 all the way through?  Maybe that's the ticket.  I wanted more smoke flavor thats why I went lower in the beginning.

Garnerville, NY
    500 Posts: 3,177
    I Turbo-ed yesterday.  I did not foil.  Happy with the results; 350* for 5 hours on a 7# bone in Butt.  TFC for 2 hours; tasty.  I had bark.  I think foiling killed your bark.  My pics...

I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    500 said:
    I Turbo-ed yesterday.  I did not foil.  Happy with the results; 350* for 5 hours on a 7# bone in Butt.  TFC for 2 hours; tasty.  I had bark.  I think foiling killed your bark.  My pics...

Looks good. Haven't tried turbo yet but it's on the list. I see you live in Midlothian....I grew up in Chesterfield and live in Atlanta now.
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Been here since about '98, RLeeper.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Beautiful area
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA