Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oh boy! A chip

Options
jlsm
jlsm Posts: 1,011
Discovered a chip on my egg. I don't think I could have hit it with anything. Unlike many of you, I egg in a very small space. The chip is on the side next to a small table my husband built for me, so I really don't have good access to that area. Regardless, I don't use anything heavy except a CI grill, and my setup requires me to take it on and off from the other side. Do you think this is covered by the warranty? Will it compromise the structure? 

Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia

Comments

• johnkitchens
    Options
    From what I understand warranty will not cover chips. I wouldn't think that a small chip like that would cause a problem concerning the performance of the grill. 

I wouldn't like looking at it, but I think you will be ok!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    I don't think its big enough to cause a problem. I think they have a repair kit for touchups but I'm not sure. Check with your dealer or I'm sure someone else will respond with an alternative!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Thanks, guys. I should have checked the warranty first. No, it doesn't cover chips, and supposedly dealers handle "touch-up paint." Anyone know if the paint is special in some way?
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I think the touch-up paint would act as a sealant, but definitely a cosmetic touch-up.. I doubt the chip would cause any issues unless a crack is involved(expansion/contraction)
  • MattyMc
    Options

Hunter Green from HD. You can buy a sample size jar for like $2.

Chester County, PA
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    MattyMc said:

Hunter Green from HD. You can buy a sample size jar for like $2.

Heard this before, cosmetic fix and you will be good to go. Seems the bigger mystery is how did it happen?

Good luck on both accounts....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I'd seal it to prevent it from possibly getting larger...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN