Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tortillas?

Anyone ever do home-made-from-masa tortillas on the pizza stone? Results? Techniques? Given how cheap tortillas are, I suppose it might not be worth the effort. But I did some in the skillet on the stove, and they were a lot better than store-bought.

Thanks
Doc
LBGE

Comments

• I've done them just like you, stove top, but they do add a lot of flavor compared to store bought.  I can't see why it wouldn't work on the pizza stone but it may take a little longer on each side since there is no oil involved. 

Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Fresh made tortillas are the best, especially of they are made with real lard, not hydrogenated lard.  I have a CI comal that I always use.  
    Never tried with a pizza stone, but should work if you get stone hot enough.  ( a stone too cool will wick away what little moisture there is in the masa and the masa would probably stick to the stone.)
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    I make home made tortillas all the time, both flour and corn. I don't think doing them on the stone will work. One, you'd have to get the stone very hot, and two, it'll take a lot of lump to do that. Just use a skillet on the range top if you don't have a comal. Don't complicate your life!! :)
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I cheat.  I go down the street to a Mexican grocery store where they sell a pound of about 15-16 for $1.50.

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I am with @Austin_Egghead and use a cast iron Comal I found mine at academy and it wasn't expensive at all. Here is the post when I made them last Pulled Pork one day / Carnitas the next

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • @Solson005.  Thank for the link to your good looking cook... I missed it the first time around.  IMHO pork shoulder makes the best carnitas (we pull some for sandwiches and cube some for the carnets...lots of surface area to crisp up).  Was that masa harina or real corn flour in one of your pictures.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    @Solson005.  Thank for the link to your good looking cook... I missed it the first time around.  IMHO pork shoulder makes the best carnitas (we pull some for sandwiches and cube some for the carnets...lots of surface area to crisp up).  Was that masa harina or real corn flour in one of your pictures.  

Thanks that was a fun cook and being there was only two of us for the first day there was plenty left over and we had a pretty big party for the carnitas. It was masa harina and we found that bag at Walmart.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK.