Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot Wings for First BGE Superbowl

So I got my mangrates in and 

So Superbowl Sunday has snuck up on me yet again.  Being a Falcons fan, I suppose it's selective memory.  Anyway, I traditionally cook wings on SS (I know, creative) and this is my first year with the BGE, so my hopes are soaring (like a Falcon or a Raven, TBD).  

I've read quite a few threads on here and elsewhere on the subject and it seems a rub is in order for my wings and possibly a brine.  I don't have any of the fancy name-brand stuff that I hear about around here (DP, Byrons, etc) and it's too late to order any.

So my question, are there local dealers (Atlanta) where I may be able to pick up these products, and if so what would I get, if not, any recommendations on a homemade rub for wings.

Thanks in advance!

SS
Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)

Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee

Equal part: Brown Sugar

½ part: Black Pepper

½ part: Kosher Salt

½ part: Garlic Powder

¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder

Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I am an unabashed fan of Mickey's rub. It is absolutely fantastic. I have a semi-fancy coffee grinder, so I just use very finely ground coffee instead of instant. Also, I mix the rub 3:1 corn starch for wings. Cook at 375 for about 45 minutes. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Can't go wrong with experience.  Thanks guys!  I'll try that.
    Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE

• jlsm said:
    I am an unabashed fan of Mickey's rub. It is absolutely fantastic. I have a semi-fancy coffee grinder, so I just use very finely ground coffee instead of instant. Also, I mix the rub 3:1 corn starch for wings. Cook at 375 for about 45 minutes. 
    I've seen cornstarch in a few posts for wings.  What does that do?  Like a faux breading? 
    Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE
  • i feel your pain spots. i cant even watch sportscenter because of all the super bowl coverage. because like you i am a die hard season ticket holder section 214 rise up!!!!!!!! As far as rubs my local ACE hardware has a pretty goof selection.

:((
  • Mickey
    jlsm said:
    Never thought to add the corn starch on the wings. Do you find it crisps them up?

• gdawgs24 said:

i feel your pain spots. i cant even watch sportscenter because of all the super bowl coverage. because like you i am a die hard season ticket holder section 214 rise up!!!!!!!! As far as rubs my local ACE hardware has a pretty goof selection.

I can tell by your screen name that it's been a tough year in the dome for you, well, and me too as I was pulling for your dawgs against that other team. 

Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE
  • Try the Mothership, bet they got plenty.
  • You can buy Dizzy Pig at Casual Image on Piedmont road across from Sprayberry HS
    You can also go to the Dizzy Pig website and find dealers by zip code
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    The corn starch sucks out some of the moisture to produce a crisper skin. Cooks Illustrated also recommends using it on steaks, though I'm not convinced it makes a great deal of difference. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • You can buy Dizzy Pig at Casual Image on Piedmont road across from Sprayberry HS
    You can also go to the Dizzy Pig website and find dealers by zip code
    Website yielded a DP dealer 3 miles from the house.  Thanks!  i'll pick some up today, although, I'm mentally invested in Mickey's rub for the SS wings.   ;;)
    Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited February 2013
    You can go to the dizzy pig web site and there is a dealer locator.  I would call the places to double check.

That being said, if you don't want to make a special trip there are plenty of recipes out there. 

A simple rub with stuff you probably have (salt, pepper, cayene, garlic, etc) is good.  If your grocery store carries the weber spices, I thought the Kickin Chicken was really good.  I guess what I'm getting at is the dizzy pig and other fancy rubs are good...but the wangs on the egg are gonna be good with or without them! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232

gdawgs24 said:

i feel your pain spots. i cant even watch sportscenter because of all the super bowl coverage. because like you i am a die hard season ticket holder section 214 rise up!!!!!!!! As far as rubs my local ACE hardware has a pretty goof selection.

I can tell by your screen name that it's been a tough year in the dome for you, well, and me too as I was pulling for your dawgs against that other team. 

Try being an Eagles fan.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    edited February 2013

I have tried the "corn starch" thing, and the "over night drying out" thing, with out getting the real crispness i wanted??  Then i tried raising my cooking level high, into the dome -- that was the ticket!!  I have a three tiered grid and cook my wings indirect, one thickness of tin foil as my drip pan, and load the wings on the upper two levels and cook at 350 degrees.  Takes about 40 minutes per load.  How crispy do you like them?  I like the wing tips when they are cooked crispy enough to eat half the wing tip!!  I coat them with "Rickies Wing Sauce" recipe(half Rickies and half butter right off the grill and sprinkle them with parm. cheese....

.[img]http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo112/2728charlietuna/Wings-andSquash017.jpg[/img]

• SmokeyPitt
    Those look good Charlie!  The IMG BB tags don't work here ;)image

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Looks very nice.   I see alot (if not most) folks posting here keep the wings whole, even the tip.  Is that a preferred method?  I've always removed the tip, and seperated the drum and wingette, but I also don't necessarily like doing things just because "that's the way I've always done it."

Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    edited February 2013
    The mothership is located in Tucker and carries a large selection of rubs. Right off 285. Open through Saturday until 530. Not open Sundays.
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    What part of Atlanta are you in? The Mad Hatter on Hwy 9 in Cumming just north of McFarland has lots of rubs and BGE accessories.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SmokeyPitt
    edited February 2013

Looks very nice.   I see alot (if not most) folks posting here keep the wings whole, even the tip.  Is that a preferred method?  I've always removed the tip, and seperated the drum and wingette, but I also don't necessarily like doing things just because "that's the way I've always done it."

I like them both ways.  For something like a superbowl party I do like to separate them because it makes them a more of a "finger food".  Easier to have a beer in one hand, wing in the other while standing in the living room.  Cooking them whole saves a step, and I feel they come out a little juicier.  (Again...in your living room xtra juicy may not be so good!)

• Thanks for fixin that picture problem for me!!  Like i said, i like the wing tips, most people buy them "cut off" or cut them off prior to cooking.  I use Lawry's Poultry Seasoning, sold at Sam's or Costco, big 24.5 ounce container for less than five bucks.  These wings do not get turned.  The flames follow the inside curvature of the dome as the drippings flash as they hit the tin foil under the bottom grill.  Maintain 350 to 375 degrees.   
  • Thanks all.  Picked up some Dizzy Pig today at my local Ace.
    Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE
  • @Mickey I just tried your coffee rub on a spatched chicken tonight. Boy is it tasty.

@SeeingSpots do a search for cazzy's wings. They are great. You need to get them marinading ASAP.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • And I thought I was safe from Falcons fans here.. J/K!

Congrats on a nice season.. Tough way to end it, but at least y'all made the NFC title game.
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • Mickey
    @cortguitarman glad you liked it. Try it in beef and pork and turkey as well. Also easy to tweak it and make it yours.