Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First overnight smoke... treading on virgin ground.

I like big butts and I cannot lie... First overnighter. 9 & 9.5 pounders. One with Rudy's Rub, one with Fiesta Pork Rub. Got the Maverick working. We'll see how she goes. Figure 14 hours-ish at 275 indirect should get me into that 190-195 range. Whole bag of Cowboy with Hickory chunks throughout. Fingers are crossed.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I would shoot for more around 200. Your timing sounds about right. Good luck.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    I have $5 on 16 hours at 200.  if 10 lb bag, might keep on an eye on the lump, cowboy can burn quick. 

dang, new egg felt and green grass......you must reside below 30 degrees north latitude......lol

tom
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Looks great and sounds like you are prepared. I would suggest trying to get a little shut eye now if you have any reason to think you might be checking temps throughout the night
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    How many times do we want to bet @GQuiz wakes up tonight ;-) I spent my first overnight on the couch close to the egg. Those are some big hunks of meat enjoy the journey!

Lynnwood WA
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    One stupid question I've always wanted to ask... What do you do with the hot place setter if you have to reload lump on the fly? I may not tempt it. No loss of pride if the last hour is in the oven.

• I have a good pair of welding gloves that I use whenever I need to change my setup during a cook whether it's to add lump, (which I think has only happened twice in three years) add smoking wood, or other things.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    GQuiz said:

One stupid question I've always wanted to ask... What do you do with the hot place setter if you have to reload lump on the fly? I may not tempt it. No loss of pride if the last hour is in the oven.

Lift out the meat and grid then drop it in around the setter. Otherwise, fill the lump up to the fire ring and you should be fine.
  • GQuiz
    I filled to the top of the ring. Been reading the forum for two weeks preparing for this. Now if I only had a mangrate. ;->

• Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Good looking butts bro! I am doing my first over nighter ( butts) tomorrow night.
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    If not using a temp controller, make sure the fire is lit in multiple areas to avoid the "black hole". You should be alright at 275, I would be worried if you set temp down around 200 - 225 without controller. If you need to reload the fuel, it is time to change brands. You should easily have enough lump if the burn rate is reasonable. I don't use Cowboy, but can get 24 hrs on my large.
  • GQuiz
    Do I have to stick the Maverick probe in past elbow deep? It's reading hot. Tested at 3 hours, Maverick said 145, CDN said 120. Reinserted Maverick, closed lid, said 120 for about 5 minute. Within 30 minutes, it's crept up to 129. Don't want to open the lid anymore to avoid flame-ups. Want to stretch the lump. Do I just program it to 205 and leave it alone?

• double
    I normally have the probe about halfway in and make sure the cord runs out over a plate setter leg and not over the lump. I would set the Mav at 200 and not worry about it, you will hit a stall at some point 160 to 170 ish and that could last for ages. Does it have bone in? If your probe is to close to the bone it will read hotter as well. That's my 2 cents fwiw.
    Lynnwood WA
  • Not sure how the xL works but if my large is filled to the fire ring, which is less lump than you have, it'll run for well over 20 hours. But also is a smaller area to heat. You should be fine dude! Set your low temp alarm on your maverick grate temp prob and go to bed! Set high meat temp alarm to. I set mine to 190 so I can be around to bring it in

XLBGE 
  • GQuiz
    Yeah, it's oh-dark-thirty... Maverick said internal temp was 235... Figured it was worth investigating. Both cuts between 202--208. 11 hours at roughly 300. Dome therminreads 295. Maverick said 268. Either way, they look beautiful. Time to FTC and go back to bed. I let you know how they tasted. Thanks for all the great advice.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Looking good so far!
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    edited February 2013
    double said:
    How many times do we want to bet @GQuiz wakes up tonight ;-) I spent my first overnight on the couch close to the egg. Those are some big hunks of meat enjoy the journey!

Haha, I'm laughing at this because I too am doing my first over night butt. It's a little over 8 pounds and figured on 12-16 hours based on the 30 or 40 posts and sites I've read. Need it done this morning as I'm bringing on a fishing trip so I put it on at 6:00, expecting it to be done sometime after 6:00am. I managed to get to sleep around 11:30, all was going well, I rolled over about 3:30 to see the IT was 192, and am shooting for 200-203°. WELL, I thought it'd be soon, so I've been keeping a close eye since. It's now 6:45, and it seems to have hit another stall at 197. I'd like to pull it off and maybe get an hour or two of shut eye, but the bone isn't really loose yet. Blast!!!!!
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • double
    @GQuiz looks good. Might want to check those maverick probes in boiling water and see if they register 212 degrees. Just be sure you don't totally submerge them past the crimp where they join the cable as that screws up the probes.
    Lynnwood WA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    The "bone pulling clean" is the best indicator for when the butt is finished-boneless butt-depends on how the probe feels but sometimes it can be in the low 200's. Gonna taste great-enjoy.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

So how did it turn out?

@tjv - looks like he is from Schertz which is just north of San Antonio. More like a suburb now, I think. My yard is starting to turn green already. Crazy winter this year.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• GQuiz
    One added note of caution for noobs smoking butts... be careful pulling it off the Egg. I had one split in half and almost lost it. Would've been a shame.