Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Need help - Packer or Flat?

Only have done one brisket. Which one to buy, a packer or flat? How do you recommend cooking. Thanks for input.
·

Comments

• robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,783
    Ive done a full packer (15lbs on a BGE Large) coated in Dizzy Pig Cow Lick.  250-275 and let it ride - It took ~ 10 hours.  Was AWESOME!

Garnerville, NY
    ·
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,907
    edited January 2013
    I almost always do flats. When I do find a packer, the price is higher than I want. Here is my last post on my method Flat out Tasty 

This was a 8.5 lb flat. I start at 225° fat side down, we took it to the kitchen when the internal temp got to 165° and injected it with a beef broth, bouillon, worcestershire, and black pepper mixture. Bumped the egg up to 300° foiled it and start checking how easily the thermometer probe slides in and out at 195° and this one was much better at 205° so thats where we pulled it and put it in a cooler with towels for 2 hours. 

Some guys don't inject or foil. But I do flats all the time and this was my method for the most tender one yet. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
  • I tend to think the packer is the way to go, mostly because I love cutting the point up for burnt ends.
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,259
    Point is the best part - I'll only cook packers.  Flats are great if corned and made into pastrami, IMO.

·
  • CullumCullum Posts: 214
    I can purchase just the point. Would that be a good way to go, a couple of points?

·
  • jerrypjerryp Posts: 226
    I like a packer. You have a nice lean flat and a nice fatty point. Caters to all your guests taste.
    ·
  • LitLit Posts: 3,843
    Get a left side packer.
    ·