Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

couple of new egg questions... (turbo, wood, temp)

Im going to throw some ribs on tonight. I was looking for some suggestions in previously started threads and keep hearing about "turbo ribs." I cant find anything specific about it, most say 350 for 2hrs. Should I foil wrap? Rib rack em?

Also, im new to the whole smoking deal. I started with a full pint glass of apple wood chips (about the size of a quarter/half dollar) soaked in water 30 mins prior. I posted that here and everyone said DONT soak. Just throw them in with the coals. So i tried a handful dry in the coals and it was REALLY smokey. How much chips should I be using? Should I wait for the initial heavy smoke to cook off and then put the meat on?

I removed the membrane last night and did a "dillo dust" rub and left them in the fridge over night. Tonight I am going to throw about a handful of apple wood mixed in with the lump and start to get the heat up to 350 (dome temp also using a plate setter). let it sit at 350 for 30 mins then throw the ribs on bone down. 1 hour later spray some apple juice on it and more Dillo dust rub. Leave bone down. 30 mins later BBQ sauce them and then flip them bone up to give it some color and stickyness. What do you guys think about that? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Comments

• I am also planning on using a plate setter with a drip pan filled with a half a magic hat dark beer and about a cup or two of apple juice.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Did baby backs for lunch a while back. (Sorry but I can't remember who I got this from.)
    350 indirect 1hr 40 min.
    Pull membrane , rub. Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. I opened 15 min early and sauced my half rack. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs.
    Note: with or w/o mustard works
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    That sounds fine to me. I usually do my ribs dry, so I just rub them. I put them on indirect at 350 and leave them alone for around 1.75 hours until they pass the "bend test". I don't mist them, but I don't see why that would be a problem, aside from them taking a little longer.

You don't need to foil them for turbo. Maybe foil the grid if the ribs extend over the edge of your heat deflector. You can use a rib rack if you want, especially if you are doing a large quantity. I have a MBGE, so I usually cut mine in half and do 2 full racks laying flat.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170

@Yupitsnuge-WRT your comments on smoke woods, as you note-no need to soak.  I equate (unscientifically) around a good handful of chips to a chunk.  The degree of smoke is the cook's choice but always make sure the smoke smells good before putting on the food.  The initial lump burn is getting rid of lots of VOC's, regardless of smoke wood presence.  I would initially go a little on the light side with the smoke wood as you experiment with the BGE.  A lot depends on the cook-poultry takes smoke quite easily while brisket can handle a lot.  Others, in-between.  Hang around here and you will learn more than you ever thought you need to know (and really don't) in the long-run.

Welcome aboard.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    lousubcap said:

@Yupitsnuge-WRT your comments on smoke woods, as you note-no need to soak.  I equate (unscientifically) around a good handful of chips to a chunk.  The degree of smoke is the cook's choice but always make sure the smoke smells good before putting on the food.  The initial lump burn is getting rid of lots of VOC's, regardless of smoke wood presence.  I would initially go a little on the light side with the smoke wood as you experiment with the BGE.  A lot depends on the cook-poultry takes smoke quite easily while brisket can handle a lot.  Others, in-between.  Hang around here and you will learn more than you ever thought you need to know (and really don't) in the long-run.

Welcome aboard.

I agree and mix the chips throughout the lump so they don't all go off at once

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I would not put the chips on till you get the egg to temp.and stabilized. At 350 dome your coals at probably at 500 plus and chips are going to burn off before you ever get the ribs on.
  • Holy moly, wow!! Best ribs EVER!!!
  • Nicely done. Thanks for the pics of the finished product.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • Yupitsnuge - looks mighty tasty! A nice looking cook ... I hope you got just the smoke you were looking for! I'm not a big fan of chips at all. They go too fast. I'd use chunks or my personal favorite, the Tube Smoker from Amazen Products. I hope all your cooks just keep getting better! :D