Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sorta OT-Cubed Steak, Grits and Gravy (pic)

Options

I apologize, as this was not cooked on the Egg.  But it is one of those Southern favorites where you never want your plate to end.  :)

For cubed steak (which is usually Cubed Venison Steak in my house), I like to sprinkle on some beef rub, dip it in an egg wash, dredge it in seasoned flour, and then pan fry it in some canola oil.  For the gravy, I pour out most of the oil from frying the steak and add in a roux of butter and flour.  Cook the flour for a little bit, then add in water, beef stock granules, heavy cream and cracked pepper.  Cook and whisk the gravy until it thickens.  For the grits, I usually take the easy way out and use the quick 5 minute grits.  I start by bringing 1 cup of heavy cream and 2 cups of chicken stock to a boil....then I whisk in 1 cup of the grits.  Reduce heat to medium low and when it's almost done, stir in about 1/4 cup of Cream Cheese.  Makes for an incredibly rich, smooth and delicious pot of grits. 

Don't get much better than that.  :)

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    I love making steak and gravy! I use a lot of egg's leftovers and put them in gravy and rice or red eye gravy and biscuits. Make gravy add some sliced steak and pour over fresh biscuits. Oh yeah!!

XLBGE 
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Looks tasty! Its been a long time since I've had Venison this would be something right up my alley! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Killing me Dyal. I will add 30% to my monthly grocery bill and make it out to you if I can eat at your house every day for one month.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Thx fellas. Come on over, Chubbs. The Mrs is making a copycat version of Outbacks Alice Springs Chicken tonight. ;)
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Dyal,

Thanks for taking me back home with those pics.  My mom used to make the best cubed pork steaks and potatoes.  I'm gonna have to try my hand at it soon. 

Hopefully there are no doctors on this site!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I love making steak and gravy! I use a lot of egg's leftovers and put them in gravy and rice or red eye gravy and biscuits. Make gravy add some sliced steak and pour over fresh biscuits. Oh yeah!!
    I think I know what I'm doing for breakfast this weekend!
  • CeramicChef
    Options
    Well Dyal, there went that diet! That's the third one to die a horrible death this week because of pics posts by skinny rats just like you! :)) I swear if not for this place and those pix, I wouldn't need to lose 50 pounds! Nicely done cook!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Sounds like chicken fried steak but you done did the gravy all wrong. ;)

5 minute grits? Doesn't Vinny say something about that in My Cousin Vinny?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    Griffin said:

Sounds like chicken fried steak but you done did the gravy all wrong. ;)

5 minute grits? Doesn't Vinny say something about that in My Cousin Vinny?

Eghads! 5 minute grits are blaspheme! I would die a slow and painful death if I attempted to pass those off.....
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Tough crowd! lol. Good thing you guys aren't married to me. ;) My wife and I enjoyed it and we don't eat unhealthy everyday, so its all good. We like the quick grits...they aren't bad at all, especially if you spruce them up a bit. That may be just us though.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @Dyal_SC - five minute grits or two hour grits, who cares. Looks fantastic. We've always called this "Country Fried' rather than chicken fried steak, us Canucks are easy to confuse, and what the hell do we know about grits?

I have a box of Quaker Instant grits in the cupboard, will try your "gravy" mix. Thanks!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Quick grits are okay, they just don't tastes quite as good as "Old-Fashioned".

I do feel bad for you Canadians, though. Instant grits suck. 
    ;)
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Options
    Yum-me. The only thing bad about that cook is you didn't invite me over! I really do think I was born in the wrong part of the country in terms of food. I love barbecue and Southern cooking and Cajun and I also love Tex-Mex and Southwestern. I was born the right part of the country in terms of climate though. I love 4 distinct season. While I really don't do well in the heat, I don't mind the cold of a New England winter. Once again nicely done! Might be slightly off-topic, but it was right up my alley. Sadly there isn't any place near here for hundreds and hundreds of miles where I could get anything like that.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.