Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Alligator recipe?

Options
yzzi
yzzi Posts: 1,843
I found a filet of gator today and picked it up out of curiosity. I've had fried gator nuggets before and liked them but wanted to know if there are any success stories cooked on the egg...
Dunedin, FL

Comments

• cajunduck
    cajunduck Posts: 203
    edited January 2013
    Options
    About a quarter of a cup of Worcestershire sauce, one can of coke, and whatever steak seasonings that you like. I put it in a large ziplock bag overnight with some cut up onions. Oh and some cayenne or Tabasco in the marinade. You can either cut up and make kabobs or cook whole raised direct at about 350 until medium well.
    Geaux Tigers!! West Monroe, Louisiana
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Duck,  Tell Uncle Si "Hi", or if you are him, you're the man!  Thanks for the recipe.  My kids love Fried Gator.  That's the only way I knew how to fire it up, until now.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Never done on BGE but love fried or broiled gator tail.
    Alligator, Gator on the Grill

INGREDIENTS:  

Farm raised gator  

Italian dressing or Marinade of choice  

Procedure:
    1 Cut gator into 1" by 2" cubes. Marinate meat for at least fifteen minutes. Put gator on skewers and grill for 10 mins. Brush with marinade while grilling. Meat is done when it is white all the way through.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source

Source: Gatorama, 2007/08/10

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Never thought of kabobs. Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll do that gator hunting trip I've always wanted to if I end up liking it!
    Dunedin, FL
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Geez, we've had the Canucks with moose, the SE with 'gator, what's next the Texans with armadillo?

This is a food forum after all, and it includes everything - great place to hang out. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Fried, grilled, stewed, or roasted, we've treated it like pork loin or pork tenderloin if it's one of the tail strips. 
  • billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    Options
    Fried, grilled, stewed, or roasted, we've treated it like pork loin or pork tenderloin if it's one of the tail strips. 
    Don't limit you taste to the tail meat.  It is all good! I am frying 100 pounds of tail and jowl meat for an event in February but I am also serving the leg meat. The "dark" meat is tougher and stronger tasting. I do a combination cooking method. First the bone-in legs are sous vide cooked and then smoked in the BGE. You could mistake the final product for confit duck.
  • ClayWhite88
    Options
    I do gator all the time and kabobs are my favorite!! Here is what I do:

• 3/4 cup orange juice(concentrate)
    • 3 TB Soy Sauce
    • 2 Brown Sugar
    • 1teaspoon Cumin
    • 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne
    • Gator Meat tendorized WELL and cut into 1 inch cubes
    Mix your marinade up and let it set to it blends in the fridge. Save some to baste with. Put cut gator meat in marinade and let soak for atleast an hour to get all the goodness into it. Have your skewers soaked in water so they dont burn on the egg. Start loading up skewers with gator and add any fruits or veggies you like. Orange and pineapple are my favorite. 

Cook raised direct at 350 and baste occasionally. Cook till med. I kinda like my with a little char so i finish them off at regular level under the felt!

Good luck and enjoy man!