Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Massive Canadian Moose Roast Project - Seeking Advice!!!

Hi everyone,

I live in Memramcook, New Brunswick located in Eastern Canada. I’ve owned a Large BGE since we’ve moved here in the valley, and I have been enjoying it through all of our four beautiful seasons, and with even more food groups and temperature levels. I am about to attempt my biggest challenge yet and I am seeking your collective advice in putting together a successful culinary experience.

Context: I had asked the youngest of my brothers, if successful at hunting moose last season, to save me the biggest roast he could for a “cooking challenge”. And here I am, looking for tips and input on my way to slow-cooking a 15 pounds Canadian moose shoulder roast for an upcoming family gathering at a hockey tournament.

I am compelled to mention here the fact someone suggested this type of “project” would be best achieved through using a La Caja China Roast Box… I’ve made it a personal mission to prove otherwise and I welcome any help I can get in the process!!!

Merci d’avance!

Guy

Comments

• Here's my plan:

The Big Green Moose Roast (15 pounds moose shoulder roast)

Marinate roast in the following Brine mixture for 24 hours:

Natural Apple Juice/Store-made chopped garlic/Maple syrup/Kosher salt

Pat roast dry. Make cuts and inject following seasoning, a caramelized mixture of:

Onion/Garlic/apple purée/maple syrup/pepper/salt

Baste roast in maple syrup, cover with fresh ground pepper and wrap with bacon.

Sit roast on grill over drip pan filled with Guiness and leave on indirect heat of 275-300 F, rotating roast every hour until internal temperature reaches 170 F.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Been years since last moose roast, which was loin. Moose was from Kapuskasing. 
    The shoulders were usually slow cooked, I'm guessing because they tend to be rather tough. I do recall my Mom brining, she called "getting some of the game out of it" and wrapping with bacon. Never saw her inject. 
    It just went into the crock pot with onions and made its own juice. Texture was kinda like pulled pork with attitude. 

What you plan looks to be pretty good makes sense to me.  Another twist might be to let it go for a few hours with an empty drip pan (maybe 130ish), then braise it with the Guiness (maybe 160ish).

Not sure you need to rotate it unless it is so large it is cooking unevenly. Good Luck. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688

Can't help you with the moose roast but welcome!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• nashbama
    nashbama Posts: 102
    I need to find some moose roast somewhere. That would be a very cool challenge! Post some pics when you're done.
  • Here's my plan:

The Big Green Moose Roast (15 pounds moose shoulder roast)

Marinate roast in the following Brine mixture for 24 hours:

Natural Apple Juice/Store-made chopped garlic/Maple syrup/Kosher salt

Pat roast dry. Make cuts and inject following seasoning, a caramelized mixture of:

Onion/Garlic/apple purée/maple syrup/pepper/salt

Baste roast in maple syrup, cover with fresh ground pepper and wrap with bacon.

Sit roast on grill over drip pan filled with Guiness and leave on indirect heat of 275-300 F, rotating roast every hour until internal temperature reaches 170 F.

first of all welcome!

your plan looks great, I would probably add a little more than ground pepper under the bacon, I am fan of DP's red eye on game roasts, but I think you are on the right track

Please post pictures
    Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  • I've got it covered!

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Oops, I guess I took it the wrong way, I thought you wanted to cook a whole moose lol.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Thanks for the comments Skiddymarker... The braising is an excellent idea! 

Wonder if meat could be smoked first and then put into cast iron kettle to cook in its own juices?

Flavouring injection maybe a bit overboard?

It's a discussion board, right?
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669

Thanks for the comments Skiddymarker... The braising is an excellent idea! 

Wonder if meat could be smoked first and then put into cast iron kettle to cook in its own juices?

Check out Clay Q's recipe for pulled beef, he does that exactly :  http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesPulledBeef.html
    Edina, MN

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Lard the beejezus out of it Darlin!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Moose is pretty lean I would think low and slow would make it dry and tough. I would try it with the egg at 350 and maybe not go quite that high internal, 150 to 160 range. I had moose in Newfoundland this past summer and it was very good, the lady at the restaurant said that it was important to trim the fat from the outside of roast if you want it not to be gammie tasting. Gerhard
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,411
    I was wondering too how you picked an internal temp of 170; that seems too high for a lean cut and too low for collagen... 

Scurvy:  when Life doesn't give you lemons

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

Hi everyone,

I live in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 />Memramcook, New Brunswick located in Eastern Canada. I’ve owned a Large BGE since we’ve moved here in the valley, and I have been enjoying it through all of our four beautiful seasons, and with even more food groups and temperature levels. I am about to attempt my biggest challenge yet and I am seeking your collective advice in putting together a successful culinary experience.

Context: I had asked the youngest of my brothers, if successful at hunting moose last season, to save me the biggest roast he could for a “cooking challenge”. And here I am, looking for tips and input on my way to slow-cooking a 15 pounds Canadian moose shoulder roast for an upcoming family gathering at a hockey tournament.

I am compelled to mention here the fact someone suggested this type of “project” would be best achieved through using a La Caja China Roast Box… I’ve made it a personal mission to prove otherwise and I welcome any help I can get in the process!!!

Merci d’avance!

Guy

Damn, Guy, thought you wazza girl. Sorry about that Darlin' thing. Lard the daylights out of it anyway

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Thanks for the comments Skiddymarker... The braising is an excellent idea! 

Yep - smoke it first, then braise. Lean cut, so injection is never overboard unless you are grilling, and you are roasting so all is good, IMHO. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!