Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BROWN SUGAR

Options

Does it matter if you use dark or light brown sugar when using to rub down your ribs?

Comments

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    I usually use Light Brown, but I don't think it matters
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • gdawgs24
    Options
    like the name!!!!! so heart broken after the game. :((
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Some folks will tell you that different sugars caramelize in different ways, and I'm sure they do. I've never noticed the difference - usually use whatever SWMBO has in the canister. 

For ribs, it has been light brown. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Z_Eggineer
    Options
    The difference is color and amount of molasses added back into the sugar.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    I prefer using turbinado which is also known as raw sugar in my rubs. It has the consistency if Kosher salt so the larger grains don't break down and burn as easily and brown sugar and you still get all the sugar flvor out of it.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    gdawgs24 said:
    like the name!!!!! so heart broken after the game. :((
    Like yours too! It's like we have something in common! Yeah the game was a bummer, so close...
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

td66snrf said:
    I prefer using turbinado which is also known as raw sugar in my rubs. It has the consistency if Kosher salt so the larger grains don't break down and burn as easily and brown sugar and you still get all the sugar flvor out of it.
    I agree turbinado has a good granularity to mix up in a rub.   Most brown sugars can get lumpy and make the rub tough to apply.

Seriously though - you can't really taste mustard after a low n slow.  There's a hell of a lot more subtlety between brown and white sugar than no mustard or mustard.  Sugar caramelizes and completely changes flavor during the cook.  Using boutique sugars sounds sexy when you're describing your rub, but it ain't gonna pass any blind test taste.  Go with what's easier to mix and apply, I say.
    Options
    It doesn't matter a bit.

Tim
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    If it didn't matter then why do rub recipes call for different things?  I say it because of preference.  Maybe a miniscule difference, but a difference just the same.  My preference is turbinado or raw sugar as well for same reasons described above and also because it's a more natural product, and less processed.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    500 said:
    If it didn't matter then why do rub recipes call for different things?  I say it because of preference.  Maybe a miniscule difference, but a difference just the same.  My preference is turbinado or raw sugar as well for same reasons described above and also because it's a more natural product, and less processed.
    I agree. I think that it is a personal preference based off of people developing rubs and finding "whats best" for them. The differences are "perceived" and probable only noticed when the rub is tasted on it's own. Like Nola said, sugar completely changes with carmelization; similar to the way protein changes with the maillard reaction.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Yep.  Preference - it drives everything.  However correct or flawed the reasoning is, we eat with our brains. :D

Brown and turbinado sugars are still almost pure sucrose.  They have more water and minerals than refined sugar, which is extremely pure - 99.98%.

If you want to play around with tastes, try different saccharides.  Mono saccharides glucose, galactose and fructose combine into dissaccharides - sucrose, lactose and maltose.  When these chains get longer, you get stuff like chitin and cellulose.  Probably not good in a rub.  ;)
    Options
    I thought this was a thread about De'Angelo..... =))
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • nolaegghead
    edited January 2013
    Options
    ...and I thought it was a about a Rolling Stones song :D ;D
    Options
    I just like the name turbinado sugar, sounds reved up!

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    This thread got me curious as to what type I had in my cupboard; the bag says "Pure Brown Sugar" and nothing else.  :-/
    It's also solid as a rock, isn't there a way to soften it up?  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    SWMBO uses a damp paper towel, in a bowl in the microwave. This is to get the sugar soft enough to measure. 

Found this:
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Thanks Skiddy!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Options
    I thought it was about a great ZZ Top song!

Anyhow....if it's really about sugar, I use Turbinado.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009