Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

woks

Options

i looking at purchasing a wok . where is the best place to buy one for a large bge.tia

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Many here have ordered from the Wok Shop.

Depending where you live, check out local Chinatown shops. 

On the other hand, buy a wok to fit a crawfish/turkey burner, much better than the egg - unless you really like cooking over charcoal which many find very rewarding. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Many here have ordered from the Wok Shop.

Depending where you live, check out local Chinatown shops. 

On the other hand, buy a wok to fit a crawfish/turkey burner, much better than the egg - unless you really like cooking over charcoal which many find very rewarding. 

Or you can order from ceramic grill store. http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/. Tom is one of us too (on the forum).

Both are great resources. Mine is a 16" carbon steel from wok shop. Going forward I will support Tom.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Z_Eggineer
    Options
    Why is the burner better than an egg?
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Options
    Many choices for where to get your wok. I got mine at the Wok Shop in San Francisco. They have many of the accessories useful for stir frying. I was curious why a burner is better than the Egg too?
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options

I guess most would say convenience and reliable BTUs.  A 40,000+ BTU burner that can be on and cooking in moments and off and done just as quick is a big plus considering start up time and cost of lump vs propane. 

I don't know if wokking on the egg imparts any "smokey" flavour since the lid is up and the cook goes very fast.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I have a 30+ year old carbon steel one I use on my large but I bought a Spider from the ceramic grill store to keep it centered and close to the fire. For my small I got it from the Wok Shop as @jfm0830 and many other eggheads did. They even called me to tell me the spatula I ordered was too large for my wok and made sure it was to go with that one (which it was). So I changed my order and saved $2! I don't know any internet sales store that would do that so I highly recommend the wok shop. The ceramic grill store does not make a wok to fit on a small, i'm sure the wok would be high quality like all of the rest of the products. 

After reading Grace Young's The Breath of a Wok and taking everything in.  I prefer to use it over a coal lit fire like they did when Kamado cookers were invented many many years ago. Not saying there is anything wrong with using a turkey fryer, I just prefer my egg. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    BigWader said:

I guess most would say convenience and reliable BTUs.  A 40,000+ BTU burner that can be on and cooking in moments and off and done just as quick is a big plus considering start up time and cost of lump vs propane. 

I don't know if wokking on the egg imparts any "smokey" flavour since the lid is up and the cook goes very fast.

Further - safety, because I'm an idiot. With a burner, I use a long handled wok, no gloves needed and it is easy to "toss" the contents, like a saute pan. The real benefit is noted above by @BigWader, speed. Ready to go in under one minute, hotter than any egg, shut off in seconds and for sauces, lower heat. With a crowd of 8 to 10 people we often do four or five dishes, the first being served as the second is being started and so on.
    It is not an egging experience, many folks love that aspect of wokking on their egg. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!