Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar Plank Salmon - First Try Success!

Options
rabdogg
rabdogg Posts: 43
edited January 2013 in EggHead Forum
Tried salmon for the first time on the BGE. I have to say it turned out incredible! I marinated it in soy sauce for a couple of hours and sprinkled Paul Prudhommes Salmon seasonings. Cooked for 30 minutes at 375 - 400. Thanks for all the help from the board.
Green Eggin' in Lafayette, Louisiana

Comments

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Shout out to rabdogg.  First comment on his salmon after 22 days of posting.  Looks good.  Looking up salmon ideas and came across this.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That does look great!  Sometimes a good post get's "pushed off" the first page from Mangrate posts and it goes unnoticed! 

I love using the planks, they are just a little pricey. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Larrymac
    Larrymac Posts: 103
    Options
    375 direct or indirect ?
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    I do planks indirect, that way the fire should char the bottom of the plank slightly.  Those look awesome.  I usually do salmon at least once a week.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Not sure how I missed this, must have been the holiday stupor, sorry @rabdogg. Looks great. 

I use standard hand split cedar shake heavies, the same as on the roof of my house. They are Pacific Northwest untreated red cedar. Although 24" long, I trim off about 12" to fit in my MBGE. Use the thick end as a BBQ plank, the thin end as kindling for the air tights. Check your local lumber yards to see if you can get untreated, the treated ones have preservatives and fire retardants, not exactly the best choice for a great tasting cook. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SeeingSpots
    Options
    Hey rabdogg, those look great!  22 days, wow.  Never fear the shameless bump.   :P
    Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE
  • Parallel
    Parallel Posts: 433
    Options
    I'm inspired to try this sometime this week.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
    Options
    I had a semi-fail on cedar planked salmon tonight. As I was taking them off, the planks caught fire. I'm standing there with burning planks with salmon on them. Mrs. 500 scrambles to get a cookie sheet for them. Quite a fire show. No after pics as it wasn't that impressive to look at cause I mangled it scraping it off the plank. My fire was at 400*, but the planks had only soaked for 1 hour before I started. Organic Scottish Salmon, DP Raging River, Lemon, Capers
    Member since 2009
  • tyenic1
    tyenic1 Posts: 150
    Options
    I always do planking indirect, just make sure you soak the planks in water for 30min to an hour. The plank acts as the indirect cooking method and it also adds the flavor from the wood into your salmon.
  • tyenic1
    tyenic1 Posts: 150
    Options
    I meant direct not indirect, Sirry.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    500 said:
    I had a semi-fail on cedar planked salmon tonight. As I was taking them off, the planks caught fire. I'm standing there with burning planks with salmon on them. Mrs. 500 scrambles to get a cookie sheet for them. Quite a fire show. No after pics as it wasn't that impressive to look at cause I mangled it scraping it off the plank. My fire was at 400*, but the planks had only soaked for 1 hour before I started. Organic Scottish Salmon, DP Raging River, Lemon, Capers
    I do mine overnight, into the laundry tub with brick. Never a fire, some smoke and char, but no fire. 
    Maybe you've invented a whole new twist on Salmon Diane - and no brandy wasted.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • rabdogg
    rabdogg Posts: 43
    Options
    Thanks all. Actually forgot I posted this myself....thanks to Gent Jack for that. Direct on the heat; only way for the planks to really smoke.
    Green Eggin' in Lafayette, Louisiana
    Options
    Also the only way to have a fire show before dinner!
    Member since 2009
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    rabdogg said:
    Thanks all. Actually forgot I posted this myself....thanks to Gent Jack for that. Direct on the heat; only way for the planks to really smoke.
    Interesting - I use alder to smoke, the cedar is just to hold the fish - it does give some flavor - but mostly it is a "steamy" platter. 
    Options
    I think only soaking it for an hour was my problem.  I may be wrong but I thought the purpose of the plank was not to "smoke" it, but like @Skiddymarker said, to steam or sizzle it on the plank.  Anyone out there with more planking experience, please chime in.  I'm thinking I don't want it to start smoking.  It did a few times during my fiasco last night.  The family was not a fan of cedar planked salmon.  I need a new salmon recipe, or just stop cooking it altogether.
    Member since 2009
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Great looking meal!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I've only done it once, and I soaked the plank for several hours and cooked it direct on the small. The bottom of the blank was pretty crispy and black by the time the salmon was finished cooking.  I felt like I got some smoke from the plank.  It definitely imparted a cedar-ish flavor to the salmon, which I thought quite good but perhaps a little on the strong side.  Perhaps a longer soak or more distance from the coals might be a good way to reduce the burning of the blank.  

I noticed @rabdogg has his planks on the grid extender.  I think that is a good call. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Skiddymarker
    edited January 2013
    Options
    @500 - try it indirect, 350-450 dome, some like a hot fire which cooks the outside, leaves the inside a touch "rare", others like it evenly cooked so a cooler fire. 

I get at least 2, sometimes 4 cooks from the same plank (shake). 

Cedar is not the most desired smoking chip/chunk, great for moth control in closets, not so good for flavor in smokers. When was the last time you saw cedar chips, other than to line small animal cages?
    Options
    Thanks Skiddy.  I'll try that next time. 
    Member since 2009
  • tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    Options
    I was under the impression that you wanted plank to smoke, to impart the flavor to the salmon.  Otherwise, why would you use it?  Why not  a pizza stone?  I do mine raised direct at 400 and pull when the IT is 140.
  • Sandi_k
    Sandi_k Posts: 52
    Options
    We do ours with a soy sauce/honey/fresh ginger/olive oil marinade. Skin side down on a (soaked) cedar plank, 425 for 22 minutes.  I raise the plank a little bit off the main grate, direct heat, with only the plank between the fish and the grate.

No turning, no basting, no problem. Always awesome.
  • burr_baby33
    Options
    Planking is a good way to prepare salmon. My personal preference is not cedar. It seems to add a flavor I describe as turpentine. There are other planks available like alder that goes very well with salmon. I always use a chunk with salmon for the smoke and when I use a plank it is usually alder also.
  • Mile_High_Egg
    Options
    My wife invited her mom to join us for the big game.  I am using Chef P's seasoning rubbed in with some EVOO on top of some cedar planks I snagged at Costco.   The air is rare here so cooks usually take me a bit longer, looking at around 30-35 min or whenever the thermometer tells me its done.  pics to follow