Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Butt (lots of pix)

My wife's two favorite meals are Ribeye Steaks and Pulled Pork.  I made her the Steak Diane last night, and today I made her Pulled Pork.  :)  It's a win-win for me because I get Brownie Points AND I get to eat steak and pulled pork!  ;)  Trimmed and Smoked this 8 lb Turbo Butt up with Apple and Hickory at around 325 deg f. 

Spritzed the Butt down a few times with a mixture of Apple Cider Vinegar and Canola Oil.  Here are some progress shots when spritzed them down:

Once I achieved the bark I was looking for, I foiled it up to finish. 

I let it rest foiled in a cooler, covered with a towel, for about an hour before pulling it.  It melted like butter!  :)

Bone slid right out...

The bark tasted great, and the pulled pork was very moist with just the right amount of smoke.

Topped our sandwiches with Shealy's Mustard-Based Sauce.  A local favorite.  :)

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    That looks very tasty!!! How long did the turbo take?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    Thanks, Matt! Took 5.5 hours total.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Damn Dyal. Eating like a king lately. Can't wait to see what you do with the rest of the pulled pork. Thought about that? I need to make a trip over to Shealys. That place is hard to beat.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    The only way to cook it in my opinion!! Looks great!
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Looks awesome!!, Great Cook, thanks for sharing
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • Dyal_SC

Thanks, fellas'! 

Chubbs, of course I have plans for the leftovers!  ;)  Pulled Pork Egg Rolls are a favorite of ours...here's some pix from when I did these awhile back:

Gotta dip the Pulled Pork Egg Rolls in Mustard-Based BBQ Sauce....  you dip Asiany Egg Rolls in Asian Hot Mustard, so it just makes sense!  :)

And BBQ Pizza with Pulled Pork, Tomato-Based BBQ Sauce, Cheddar Cheese, Sauteed Onions and Bacon is always deeeelicious!  :D

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

Thanks, fellas'! 

Chubbs, of course I have plans for the leftovers!  ;)  Pulled Pork Egg Rolls are a favorite of ours...here's some pix from when I did these awhile back:

Gotta dip the Pulled Pork Egg Rolls in Mustard-Based BBQ Sauce....  you dip Asiany Egg Rolls in Asian Hot Mustard, so it just makes sense!  :)

< src="http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac286/Dyal_SC/June 2012/IMG_7304.jpg">

And BBQ Pizza with Pulled Pork, Tomato-Based BBQ Sauce, Cheddar Cheese, Sauteed Onions and Bacon is always deeeelicious!  :D

My man...
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Everything looks awesome. I love the egg roll idea.
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    We need to get together and egg in SC.  I know you guys have talked about it before.  Maybe for a Clemson Carolina 'x'ball game.  That would be the shiz
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• Dyal_SC
    Thx again fellas... r270ba, I think that's a great idea. I just looked and there are Clemson/Carolina baseball games March 1st -3rd.

http://www.gamecocksonline.com/sports/m-basebl/sched/scar-m-basebl-sched.html

1st game is on a Friday in Clemson. 2nd game is in Greenville on Saturday. And Sunday's game (March 3rd) is on Sunday in Columbia. I probably can't do the Friday game since that is a work day, but Saturday or Sunday would probably work. Maybe we could do some tailgating or something?
  • CeramicChef
    CeramicChef Posts: 182
    edited January 2013
    Very nicely done! Great egg rolls! I'm gonna steal that idea with no attribution! :))
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited January 2013
    My daughter is starting at South Carolina next year we would love to crash the tailgate in Columbia next football season. It may be time to get a mini.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    An Elementry question for some of you guys, but at what temp do you pull your butt? Ok that sounded weird but you know what I mean. :))
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    It really depends on how sweaty I'm getting. Swamp-butt sucks.

Now, for pork, I pull between 195-205, whenever the meat is starting to fall apart and the thermapen is moving through it like butter.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Very nice cook. More info on the egg rolls please.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• erblove
    erblove Posts: 97
    If the decision is made for a Columbia, SC get together...please let me know. 
    Columbia, SC ~ LBGE, ThermaPen
    I love to eat...sue me!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Tremendous Turbo! looks really good. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Most excellent looking plate(s)! Smoke a butt and you eat well for days. I've been thinking about pulled pork pizza too - gotta do it. That mustard based sauce sounds really good.

PS- Was born in Columbia, but moved in 1984. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited January 2013
    Suspicious minds were wondering what you did to get yourself so deeply in the dog-house, but I'll buy your story. It certainly never hurts to keep your wife happy!

I made a late supper on the Egg last night, so I didn't eat this AM. I am regretting that decision now. You're killing me with all of those pictures of mustardy goodness. I've not tried a turbo butt yet, but I think you've persuaded me I need to do it soon. And that BBQ pizza...so much to do, so little time.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Looking good, Dial Soap. You really must have been missing your Egg during your trip out west to see the big hole in the ground to come back and do two back to back cooks like that. How do you cook the Egg rolls? Just fry them up in some oil?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Dyal_SC
    Thx guys! The Egg Rolls are really simple. You can find the egg roll wraps in the produce section. You just lay one out and put some slaw and pulled pork on top. Then just wrap and seal shut with a drop or two of water. Then fry them on your stovetop in canola oil at about 350 deg f. I like a simple slaw of EVOO and Seasoned Rice Wine Vinegar for the Egg Rolls.
  • Dyal_SC
    Jim, my wife is my sugar momma and much more attractive than I am. I gotta keep her happy with my cooking and charm so she won't leave me. ;)
  • Alton said:
    An Elementry question for some of you guys, but at what temp do you pull your butt? Ok that sounded weird but you know what I mean. :))

I pull my butts at about 195*-200* every single time. I then wrap, generally in foil, but lately I've been wrapping first layer uncoated butcher paper and then foil and then in towels and into the warm cooler for a couple of hours. Always a crowd pleaser, even if it's just a crowd of one!
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Dyal_SC said:
    Jim, my wife is my sugar momma and much more attractive than I am. I gotta keep her happy with my cooking and charm so she won't leave me. ;)
    I was gonna bring up legs, but that was the other board  ;) . I never figured out what my SO saw in me either. And to be honest I'm making something for my wife tonight so I'm guilty too.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    wow man that looks great!! i did pp egrolls once. i seen something yesterday about pp leftovers but i dont remember it as of now but i did save it on the dvr :D i have never spritz'ed a butt before i have done plenty of ribs but never did with canola oil. how did yoyu come up with that? andlast question do you still have your christmas lights up or is that mood lighting around the egg? i thought i was the only one who left up christmas lights

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• jgdusc
    jgdusc Posts: 22
    Dido for me on any Columbia egg cooks!
    2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, Stoker Wifi, White Thermapen, Igrill---Gilbert SC
  • bezdecr
    bezdecr Posts: 31
    That looks great, especially the bark.  About what temp were you at when you foiled after achieving the bark you were going for?  I am new and have not got my bark looking that good.
  • Dyal_SC
    Thx, y'all.

Jim, can't wait to see what you have in store for tonight's dinner! :)

Bente, I've been using an apple cider vinegar/canola oil spritz for years. It is my go to "mop", although I spritz and seldom use a mop. I don't like mopping off the rub, so I use a squirt bottle instead. I like the flavor that the apple cider vinegar gives, and I always get a better bark. I don't like a dried out bark, so I personally find that the added fat from the oil helps resolve that issue..it makes sense in my half brain anyways, and I get good results doing it that way. ;). And yep, those are clear Christmas Lights all around my grill gazebo. :) Helps out at night time.

Bezdecr, I think it was around 175 deg f this time around. I pay more attention to the bark than the internal temp before foiling. Sometimes I have a nice bark at 165, but sometimes it takes a little longer with the turbo method.

500 Posts: 3,177
    edited January 2013
    Dude; Saweet! I think Turbo Butt just moved to the top of my Super Bowl menu! Thanks. So to clarify Turbo Butt technique, correct me if I'm wrong here (cause I've never Turbo'd before and I wanna get it right). So it's still plate setter indirect, but 325* instead of 250*, spritzing along the way, and after the stall you foil, around 165* to 175*, after the bark hardens, until all the way done, around 195*. FTC as always. Do I have all the steps?
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Has anyone experienced a different texture with a turbo butt? I have tried them before on the WSM (I know, I know), but wasn't happy with the taste. It tasted almost greasy when doing turbo. I'm assuming the far superior BGE doesn't have that issue?
    LBGE, Marietta, GA