Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do you clean your cooking grate?

How do you clean your cooking grate? I understand seasoning, but frequently the grate has a grease, marinade, food bits, etc.
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    I run the temp over 600 and every thing bakes off! Even the plate setter. Cleans up at that heat
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Get the fire up to 900 for a few minutes.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    What hapster said. I pre-heat the grill, add the grid and let it sit for 5 minutes. Brush it off with a grill brush. If I'm searing, I let the egg do the work and just burn everything off.
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Heat works fine, but I usually just drop mine in a laundry room sink in some soapy  water and let it soak while I start the fire.  Then wipe it with a stiff plastic scrubber when I am ready to start cooking.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Burn off and oil the CI, brush and if lots of low temp sticky stuff, laundry tub the SS grid. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • cajunduck
    cajunduck Posts: 203
    Aluminum foil
    Geaux Tigers!! West Monroe, Louisiana
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    I take the griill off as you must to start the fire, I get the fire going, put the grill back and close the lid to let the hot.  Before I put on what I'm going to cook I hit the grill with a wire brush. Whatever was on there from my previous cook is gone and being that the grill is hot it is sanitary for your next cook.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf said:
    I take the griill off as you must to start the fire, I get the fire going, put the grill back and close the lid to let the hot.  Before I put on what I'm going to cook I hit the grill with a wire brush. Whatever was on there from my previous cook is gone and being that the grill is hot it is sanitary for your next cook.
    Please insert the word "grill" between the and hot in the second sentence.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I have a system that i have followed for two years and it is working for me.  My cast iron grate just gets re-heated and wire brushed before using.  All my metel grills are sprayed with a heavy duty degreaser the following day, hosed with high pressure water, then cleaned by scrubbing with a Brillo pad.  The degreaser melts any food product off, and the Brillo pad brings them back to the same shinny original surface.  I have a total of six different set ups, but i stay ahead and have all my grills available BEFORE i start any cook.
  • td66snrf
    I have a system that i have followed for two years and it is working for me.  My cast iron grate just gets re-heated and wire brushed before using.  All my metel grills are sprayed with a heavy duty degreaser the following day, hosed with high pressure water, then cleaned by scrubbing with a Brillo pad.  The degreaser melts any food product off, and the Brillo pad brings them back to the same shinny original surface.  I have a total of six different set ups, but i stay ahead and have all my grills available BEFORE i start any cook.

Seriously?

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Thought that was why we use fire.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    I emailed BGE years ago about this...and was told the answer is a clean burn.  Fire will get your cooking grid cleaner more easily than anything you could manually do to it.  Just load it up, light it up, leave the vents wide open, and be prepared to need a new gasket if you've got an older style one.