Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

All this Bacon talk....

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Thanks for the input guys. Has anyone tried the savory blend from Charcuterie with smashed garlic and peppercorns? I am pumped about that one. Smelled great going into the bag.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Chubbs said:

Thanks for the input guys. Has anyone tried the savory blend from Charcuterie with smashed garlic and peppercorns? I am pumped about that one. Smelled great going into the bag.

Ditto.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Could you please post that recipe? Or could you post the maple cure?  I have my AMS smoker on order along with the Charcuterie book from Amazon . . . but neither have arrived yet.  Figured I can start the cure now . . just need to know how, thanks!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Chubbs said:

My last batch was the maple cure, but I add crushed peppercorns. No garlic. This hybrid was very good.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
    When we tried the brown sugar hickory and the regular hickory only from the butcher, we liked the regular better. I think my first will be little to no sugar, pepper, and that's about it. Maybe I try one apple and one hickory if I do two smoke sessions.
    Member since 2009
  • Chubbs
    edited January 2013
    NDG said:
    Could you please post that recipe? Or could you post the maple cure?  I have my AMS smoker on order along with the Charcuterie book from Amazon . . . but neither have arrived yet.  Figured I can start the cure now . . just need to know how, thanks!

I am at work, so dont quote me on this but...

The maple was 2 tsp pink salt, 1/4 cup kosher salt, 1/4 brown sugar. Stir until blended. Then stir in 1/4 cup of maple syrup.

The savory, I subbed regular sugar for the brown sugar, added 5 crushed garlic cloves, 3 crushed bay leaves, and 1 tbs of crushed black peppercorns

Good luck..

• NDG
    Great . . . . I appreciate it.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Chubbs
    edited January 2013
    NDG said:
    Great . . . . I appreciate it.

FYI- The book says to weigh the ingredients rather than relying on measurements, but a kitchen scale is several items down on my wish list for the egg right now. And, something tells me our ancestors didnt use a kitchen scale when curing their meats...
  • NDG
    Ok confused about pink salt.  I bought a few things of what I thought was pink salt, but thinking I made a mistake as mine is "himalania pink salt".  For bacon cure, do I need to order special nitrate pink salt fom some online store?
    Columbus, OH

• Chubbs
    NDG said:

Ok confused about pink salt.  I bought a few things of what I thought was pink salt, but thinking I made a mistake as mine is "himalania pink salt".  For bacon cure, do I need to order special nitrate pink salt fom some online store?

Hate to break the news, but .... Yep.
  • NDG
    **** the bed.
    Columbus, OH

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Check this out on AMZN: D.Q. Curing Salts - Pink Salt - 1 bag, 1... http://amzn.com/B0050IM4MY

Mine arrived today. Also ordered my A-maze-n check out my other post for a discount coupon for them.
    Lynnwood WA
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Williams Sonoma sells it if you're by one of those.
  • NDG
    Great, thanks . .
    Columbus, OH

• billyray
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
    I just ordered some from here; http://www.savoryspiceshop.com/
    Member since 2009
  • double
    @billyray holy cow I got ripped! Oh well live and learn.
    Lynnwood WA
  • Chubbs
    double said:

@billyray holy cow I got ripped! Oh well live and learn.

They get you on the shipping a little. $10 to SC for me.
  • double
    Ah then my amazon prime deal was not so bad.
    Lynnwood WA
  • NDG
    Thinking ill go to william Sonoma tmrw and save on shipping and time . . .assuming it is same product?
    Columbus, OH

• Chubbs
    NDG said:

Thinking ill go to william Sonoma tmrw and save on shipping and time . . .assuming it is same product?

Just make sure it is 6.25% sodium nitrate.
  • NDG
    Ok, nitrite/nitrate talk in charcuterie kinda freaked me out, lots of warnings . . .but I only had time to skim hopng to start my first cure, but I will re-read later.
    Columbus, OH

• Chubbs
    Hey MQ, Focker, Nola, billyray, CT and whoever else that cures their own bacon-- how firm is it when it is ready? Mine has been going since last Sunday. Was kind of hoping to pull today, rinse and leave in fridge to form pellicle. Then smoke tomorrow? I know you can't rush chemistry, but what is the difference in 1 day of cure? I have to work Monday so smoking then will be a late night. Thought?
  • Mighty_Quinn
    It's hard to say how firm it ends up. If it feels a lot more firm from where you started you're good. I would think you're ok now at 6 days...unless its an especially thick piece of belly 6 days is usually good for me.
  • Chubbs

It's hard to say how firm it ends up. If it feels a lot more firm from where you started you're good. I would think you're ok now at 6 days...unless its an especially thick piece of belly 6 days is usually good for me.

That is what I thought too. Thanks MQ. I have a corner on my savory batch that is thick. I may leave that one in a little longer. Do you soak yours in water when you pull it or just run under water? Thanks again
  • Mighty_Quinn
    I always just rinse off cure thoroughly....never soaked, but I've never felt like my bacon was too salty. I always measure out the proper amount of cure for the weight of bellies I have...never do the saltbox dredge method Ruhlman talks about in the book.
  • Chubbs

I always just rinse off cure thoroughly....never soaked, but I've never felt like my bacon was too salty. I always measure out the proper amount of cure for the weight of bellies I have...never do the saltbox dredge method Ruhlman talks about in the book.

Thanks MQ. Appreciate the confirmation.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited January 2013
    Chubbs said:
    That is what I thought too. Thanks MQ. I have a corner on my savory batch that is thick. I may leave that one in a little longer. Do you soak yours in water when you pull it or just run under water? Thanks again

You could slice a piece from that side, and cook.  If it turns gray, it is undercured.  Regardless of size, I cure for 14 days.  Max you can cure is 20 days.  Then I soak for 2-3 hours, changing the water as needed.  Fat distribution varies with each piece, some may never firm up.  An extra week takes the guesswork out of things.  

Curing then equalizing is better than undercuring.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• billyray
    I agree with MQ. When doing a sample piece to determine the saltiness, remember the first cuts off of either side are going to taste more salty. Same way after you smoke that the first cuts will taste more smoky.
  • double
    Has anyone used this Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Lynnwood WA