Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I need a good Chicken breast recipe!

Options
I hardly ever cook chicken breasts because my wife and I prefer dark meat.  What is your favorite boneless, skinless breast recipe?  Do you marinate or rub?

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I sous vide cooked a few the other day, seared them, then sliced them up and put on a mixed green salad with lardons and home made bacon dressing.  They pick up flavor from the dressing in a salad.  You could 100% grill them as well, with a rub.  To make them extra juicy - brine them first.  Be careful to not over cook them - 160 internal and pull them off.
    NEH......My sous vide rig isn't here yet so I'll be grilling.  What is the minimum time I can brine them?.  I'm eating them tonight.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    You can make a strong brine (10% rather than the usual 5%) and it brines faster.  Here's some good info:

http://ruhlman.com/2010/10/how-to-brine-chicken-quick-brine-recipe/

2 hours at room temp will do it.  Rinse well.
    Options
    SWMBO is a chicken breast fanatic, which is good because I get steak and she has chicken. 
    Her two favorites are:
    Brined, rubbed with olive oil and her rub du jour, this week it was Ozark from Penzey's. last week it was Kickin' Chicken from Weber. Cook either indirect or direct. Sometimes BBQ sauce. 
    Souvlaki, great for low cal and adds taste, easy to cook direct if you like that Greek thing. Cut and load one breast onto each skewer. Marinate for at least an hour. Per skewer you need 1 clove crushed garlic, 2 Tbs EVOO, 1 tsp lemon juice (concentrate is OK) 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp marjoram and dash of Wooster. You can marinate then skewer, but it is really messy, I use bamboo skewers.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • rolltideegghead
    Options
    Slice chicken breast to form a pouch in the side stuff with cream cheese and jalapeño then wrap with bacon.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options

big bob gibson's alabama white sauce....best made day ahead.

grill breast, leave skillet on grid for dunking chicken about half way through cook, when done dunk all breasts in skillet.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • MattyMc
    MattyMc Posts: 81
    Options
    Pound 'em flat so they cook evenly
    Chester County, PA
  • rustypotts
    Options
    Slice chicken breast to form a pouch in the side stuff with cream cheese and jalapeño then wrap with bacon.
    Man......that looks good!  It sort of defeats my reason to eat the chicken breast though.
  • rustypotts
    Options
    SWMBO is a chicken breast fanatic, which is good because I get steak and she has chicken. 
    Her two favorites are:
    Brined, rubbed with olive oil and her rub du jour, this week it was Ozark from Penzey's. last week it was Kickin' Chicken from Weber. Cook either indirect or direct. Sometimes BBQ sauce. 
    Souvlaki, great for low cal and adds taste, easy to cook direct if you like that Greek thing. Cut and load one breast onto each skewer. Marinate for at least an hour. Per skewer you need 1 clove crushed garlic, 2 Tbs EVOO, 1 tsp lemon juice (concentrate is OK) 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp marjoram and dash of Wooster. You can marinate then skewer, but it is really messy, I use bamboo skewers.  
    Great idea wiith the souvlaki.
  • rustypotts
    Options
    You can make a strong brine (10% rather than the usual 5%) and it brines faster.  Here's some good info:

FedX just delivered my sous vide machine.  Nola......how long and what temp for 3 chicken breasts?
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    Soak in olive oil, heat Egg to 375, season chicken with rub, figure 45 minutes Indirect. When chicken hits 160, snuff the fire. In 10 minutes, perfection.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • nolaegghead
    Options

FedX just delivered my sous vide machine.  Nola......how long and what temp for 3 chicken breasts?
    2 hours at 147 if they're thick.  A little longer if frozen. 
    Options
    Lay them out flat in the bag - don't stack them.  You can season with whatever - don't put the brine in the bag - make sure it's rinsed off.  No oil if you season.  Don't worry about over-seasoning them - you can go nuts with spices.  Don't use any fresh garlic. Powdered if you want garlic.
    Options
    Kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it?
    =))

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Best I've done before the sous vide was seared on the medium cast iron grid in the woo and finished raised direct on the rig

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• rustypotts
    Options
    Wow.....2 hrs.  The book says 1 hour @147 but i'll trust you. Better safe than sorry.  I can't decide if I am going to cut my brine short and sous vide or just cook it on the egg.  These are smallish breasts by the way.
  • NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    That's what I'd do! :D
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • nolaegghead
    Options

Wow.....2 hrs.  The book says 1 hour @147 but i'll trust you. Better safe than sorry.  I can't decide if I am going to cut my brine short and sous vide or just cook it on the egg.  These are smallish breasts by the way.
    My PolyScience book, I just checked, says 147 for 1 hour.  A few places on line say 146 for 2-4 hours.  You're probably fine with one hour.   You're not gonna make it more tender, it's pasteurized in minutes at 147.  There's a certain amount of latitude here - learn the limits and stay away from them.  I'll have to dig up the pathogen info I posted a while back - you'll be cool, don't worry.  Do what I do - when you're done and pull it out of the SV, I cut off a corner and probe around with the thermapen, make sure the temp is uniform.  If it's uniform, it's been in long enough. If it ain't, then seal up the corner and throw it back in.  You'll get an innate feeling for how long it takes after a while.  When you get into breaking down Chef's cuts - lots of connective tissue and collagen, the long times are just to tenderize - safety limits are well exceeded.
    I'll know in 20 minutes.  If you do 2 hours then I know I'll be good......unless the thermostat is bad in this brand new polyscience rig.....which I doubt.  I even fired up the mini for the sear.  I'm going all out!
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Food, sex, skiing, in that order, are the best things in life....SV fits into slot 1.  FULL THROTTLE!
    Well.........I'm a believer.  even though my recipe was a little lacking, my wife kept commenting on how moist and good the chicken was.  And it was.  She didn't have a clue what this apparatus was hanging on a pot in the utility room.  But she likes it now!
  • rustypotts
    Options
    Food, sex, skiing, in that order, are the best things in life....SV fits into slot 1.  FULL THROTTLE!
    Nola.......you gotta start snowboarding.  If you stick with it for three days......you will never ski again.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    What kind of skiing. When I was in New Orleans I saw a lot of water, didn't see one hill. Kinda have to agree with you on the best food in the world thing in your quote.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    What kind of skiing. When I was in New Orleans I saw a lot of water, didn't see one hill. Kinda have to agree with you on the best food in the world thing in your quote.
    I learned to ski living in Germany.  You right, down here all we got to ski on is water.  IMO Tree skiing while you've got a nice bourbon buzz is the shiznit.
    Options
    I usually slice the meat thin and stir fry it with vegetables.   A common approach would be to toss it with a tablespoon of soy sauce, a tablespoon of cornstarch, and a pinch of sugar about an hour before frying it on a wok, preferably in peanut oil.   By cooking  it so quickly, you keep it moist.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    rustypotts I did 147 for 2 hours the other night and they turned out great. My wife said that is the only she wants me to do them from now on.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • JerkChicken
    Options
    I like to pound 'em flat with a tenderizer mallet, Brush with EVO, add favorite rub and some fresh crushed garlic. Sear over direct coals. So bueno
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    I do them 146 for 3hrs also turn out great been eating them all week.
    Lynnwood WA
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Wow, I left this thread at work yesterday and returned to this.... Covering everything. I like it.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • woody's wood pit
    Options

Simple is always a great way to go:

Did this for kids to change things up and they love it...cut breast into two pieces, 60/40 (40 being fat end-you want both pieces to be approximately the same size)

wrap with bacon using toothpics to hold roundshape..season liberally with Cluck & Squeal (or your rub of choice), grill direct to internal temp of 160...then enjoy 

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder