Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I don't see what all the fuss is about.

2»

Comments

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Note to self, use google before posting something you have no clue about.

• good article. I'll give that a rip next time
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Yeah keep us updated. Then there is the Finney reverse sear. Popular when you do a web search.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    My reading comprehensions terrible so I'm not sure I learned anything, but I thought it was a funny article.

How Salting Steaks Work

JK. Made me laugh so I'll try the recipe too. Thanks for the link.
  • Badong - no bones are broken and nobody's bleeding! Relax and have another tall cold one! Me, I'm a reverse sear kinda guy. To me, that's about as simple as it gets and the results are outstanding. When people eat my steaks and see how it's done, they never go back. Try the reverse sear ... it's so simple even I can't screw it up! :)) Be well and enjoy all your steaks, no matter how you cook 'em!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Hilarious thread, wish I was paying attention.  I just put my steak on my trebuchet and launch it in to my chiminea, then blast the whole thing with a leaf blower and yell "full throttle". 
    edited January 2013
    From go, I've pretty much always been in the simple camp when it comes to BBQ. I find that I like the results much better and I'm usually too lazy to inject. I only use one merinade and that's only when I make wings.

I also find I like my results better when I keep my posts pretty simple too. Sometimes we can get a lil too cute with wording and some peeps don't interpret statements correctly.

You were given lots of good advice and even had your paper corrected by Professor CGS! :D

Steak looks great! Hurry up and post another cook and this thread will soon be forgotten...unless your post is asinine! :P
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    I have tried to simplify my steak routine, but I still get the best results with the T-Rex method, even though it's a pain in the ass.

Tim
  • mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    The only way to truly cook a steak is the "MANGRATE" method any other is foolish, wasteful, and should be outlawed!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    ratcheer said:
    I have tried to simplify my steak routine, but I still get the best results with the T-Rex method, even though it's a pain in the ass.

Tim
    try the reverse sear method. Think of it as "xer-t". It is the same thing, just backwards. It is easier to control the temps and takes a bit, but is not so PITA as the t-rex. I have done both and get good results with both. I had more evenness of cooking with the reverse sear. 
  • Badong
    Badong Posts: 126
    OK, had a chance to try a few reverse sear methods.  I have to admit, the flavor is noticeably better.  More smoke and more herb flavor.  I did not get the tenderness that I wanted but that could also be the fact that I used grass-fed ribeyes from Paidom.  Free-range meat tends to be a little tougher in my experience.  Will try again with a conventional steak.
  • Parallel
    Parallel Posts: 433
    I can dig the K.I.S.S. method... but I think that when faced with the thickest steaks a bit more thought and technique is a good thing.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    I don't 'smoke' steaks or use anything other than salt to season .. so I can't really speak to reverse sear efforts for imparting other flavors. 

I only use a roast and sear combination for steaks over an inch thick. If I'm going to salt early .. I do it an hour or more early .. otherwise I salt not 10 minutes before going on the grill.  Less than an hour, you start a process you can't finish.  Typically, it's 10 minutes are never complaints.

The single most important thing I find .. and it is universal among any other processes and worth noting here is the REST. Hardest part of the cook .. because that steak just keeps calling me .. I feel like Chris Rock in New Jack City.. longest 15 minutes of my day.

• Badong - you are spot on ... Grass fed free range beef is noticeably less marbled and much leaner. By definition free range grass fed will not be as tender. Try the reverse sear on a regular rib eye or ny strip and you'll never go back to anything else! Have nothing but great cooks!