Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I think I like this turbo thing

lilwooty
lilwooty Posts: 215
I have always done pork butts low and slow but since I joined this forum I have heard about the turbo method, so I thought I would give it a try. 6.6 lb pork butt at 350 indirect on my XL. I have hesitated before since some have said the bark is not as good on a turbo butt. I did not find that to be the case at all. After about 6 1/2 hrs the butt was at 200 internal. Nice bark and tasty too! Rubbed with salt, pepper, garlic, chile powder and cumin. Made pork carnitas that were outstanding. I'm a believer!

Living Large and XL

Comments

• mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    I agree I've been doing that a lot lately and have noticed no difference in taste at all.  350 is easier to keep anyways.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Awesome. I love turbo-ing now. You can sleep in and still get BBQ for an early dinner on a weekend.
  • I turbo'd ribs last night and my SWMBO said they were the best yet.  It took only 2 hrs.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Welcome to the club. Next Turbo Ribs, just as good.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522

Awesome. I love turbo-ing now. You can sleep in and still get BBQ for an early dinner on a weekend.
    This is the key. No stoker, no alarms all night, just get it done during the day. Makes for a BBQ meal with the ease of a slow cooker. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
    500 Posts: 3,177
    So is it more like 1 hour per pound at 350* instead of 1 1/2 hours per pound at 250*?  Does bone in or boneless make a difference? 
    Could it potentially work that if I loaded and setup the Egg on Friday night, woke up Sat. at 7am to light and rub an 8# bone in Butt, put it on at 8am at 350*, pull it around 4pm for an hour rest FTC, I could be eating by 5pm? 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    edited January 2013
    You got it. Remember the time is only a guide line. All the ones I've cook this way fall into the 1 hour a lb. catergory, but I still cook to temp. 195-205 check for doneness with a probe. Bone in or boneless doesn't make a difference IMO.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
    Oh yea, I'm cooking to temp.  I usually go 190-195 depending on how the bone wiggles.  Just seeing if 1 hour per pound is what you all have been averaging.
    Member since 2009
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Another little trick for the turbo butt is if you cook the boneless is to finish cutting them in half where the bone was instead of tying them up. Leaves you with lots of bark and flavor. Queen of the Butts! ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited January 2013
    500 said:
    So is it more like 1 hour per pound at 350* instead of 1 1/2 hours per pound at 250*?  Does bone in or boneless make a difference? 
    Could it potentially work that if I loaded and setup the Egg on Friday night, woke up Sat. at 7am to light and rub an 8# bone in Butt, put it on at 8am at 350*, pull it around 4pm for an hour rest FTC, I could be eating by 5pm? 
    IMO: Bone-in is ALWAYS better than boneless...... In anything....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

I agree.
    Everything is sweeter, closer to the bone.

I'm cooking to temp.  I usually go 190-195 depending on how the bone wiggles.  Just seeing if 1 hour per pound is what you all have been averaging.
    Member since 2009
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Queen of the Butts!....I thought that was Kim Khardasian.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    badoinnnnngggg!
    Austin egghead dubbed me "Queen of the Butts" after I cooked 48 this fall. I needed to cook turbo style. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Next time you have a party, call it "Her Majesty's Royal Rumpus"