Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buffalo Turkey Meatball Sliders

Options

I was watching something last week and they were talking about meatballs. How just about every culture in the world has some form of meatball. Got me to thinking about trying to come up with a Buffalo Chicken Meatball. It wasn't a great leap to decide to make it into a slider. I looked around the net and found out Buffalo chicken meatballs were not an original idea (I was pretty sure I wouldn't have been the first to come up with the idea). So I printed out a few different recipes to compare and came up with my own version. Once I got to the store, I found out they didn't have any ground chicken. It was late and I didn't want to grind my own, so it came down to a decision...try them with turkey or abandon the whole idea for now. I went with the turkey. 85/15 to be exact.

Rolled the meatballs up and after letting the chill for 30 minutes, they went onto the Egg at 400F.

Cooked them for about 20 minutes, rotating them a bit to make sure they cooked evenly. Coming off the Egg, but not quite done.

A quick dip in some Buffalo sauce to coat.

And then all plated up with a dollop of bleu cheese sauce.

I was really quite surprised with these. I was a bit worried that they would be dry and bland, but they were anything but. I'll be making these again for sure, but I think next time, I'm going to add some of the Buffalo sauce to the meatball mixture to give it even more of a kick.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    Dang, Griffin... You just made me want that for breakfast -- the JD, too.
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Help me out, Grif.  When God was passing out "heads", I thought he said "beds" and I asked for a big soft one.

How are these meatballs better than one shaped like a hamburger?  It seems you'd need a big mouth to eat these guys (and I've been accused of having a big mouth).

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    Looks great Griffin, Wonder how the chicken would taste compared to the turkey?
    I'll try these for sure! Might have to have some of that Jack too!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Gary, I don't know. Maybe making them as a meatball would help keep them moister and less likely to dry out than a burger? My original thought process was meatball, so I just stuck with that. They were only about 2 oz a piece, I "smushed" them down a bit before taking a bite.

Rowlett, Texas

• BuckeyeBob
    Options
    Griffin, well done as always. Saw this on your blog first and immediately bookmarked. Nice job!
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options

Well Look at those. Since I have been eating healthy lately i will not be able to consume something like that.

I did a scratch and sniff on my laptop and enjoyed them that way.

Those looks Awesome, and Home made Blue Cheese?

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Come on....its turkey! It's gotta be healthy! The bleu cheese wasn't home-made, but the bleu cheese sauce was. ;)  That was probably not so much healthy.

Bleu Cheese Sauce

• 3/4 cup sour cream
    • 1/3 cup crumbled bleu cheese
    • 1/3 cup whole milk
    • 1/3 cup mayonnaise
    • 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
    • 1 tsp each salt and pepper to taste

Rowlett, Texas

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Help me out, Grif.  When God was passing out "heads", I thought he said "beds" and I asked for a big soft one.

How are these meatballs better than one shaped like a hamburger?  It seems you'd need a big mouth to eat these guys (and I've been accused of having a big mouth).
    Isn't everything bigger in Texas?