Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I screwed this one up.

If the BGE done temp goes around and touches 50 again... How hot is it? I can't get to my steaks... Not a matter of how well. Got carbon dating for that. I couldn't get even the small soda cans to stay up to do raised direct. Outside of grabbing a bottle of Old Grand Dad, any suggestions would be appreciated.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life

Comments

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    If your dome temp dial has gone off scale and landed at 50C, it's probably somewhere roughly around 800F.  Open carefully (a few inches, pause, a few more inches) and hopefully you have some good grilling gloves.

I was in a hurry the other night and without thinking, swung it wide open while doing a reverse sear.  The bottom of my right forearm lost nearly all its hair.  Other than that, no damage.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    If the steaks are still in there you just learned how to make your own lump.  As above, be very careful of flashback if you do try to open it.  Once everything cools down you'll want to calibrate the thermo.  I've spun it around to the 400 degree mark, and had to recalibrate about 50 degrees.

XLBGE 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    njl said:
    If your dome temp dial has gone off scale and landed at 50C, it's probably somewhere roughly around 800F.  Open carefully (a few inches, pause, a few more inches) and hopefully you have some good grilling gloves.

I was in a hurry the other night and without thinking, swung it wide open while doing a reverse sear.  The bottom of my right forearm lost nearly all its hair.  Other than that, no damage.
    I have done that more than once, the last time it singed my moustache, goatee, eye brows and hair. I came in the house thinking it just got my arm hair and everybody started laughing at me. Not my best moment...

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Ironically, the steaks turned out wonderful, once I scraped off a little char. Murphy had my number tonight. The back door knob ceased working when I put the meat on the grill. I was running around to the front door to get utensils, thermometer, etc. I must have looked funny scurrying back and forth. But my experience has me asking more questions. First, if my coals were pushing 800 plus, why did my thermometer only show 92 degrees for the meat after 4 minutes on the rack and 112 after 8? Thermometer pegged the meat at 147 when I pulled it seconds later. Second, what rig should I consider for raised direct? The cans didn't cut it tonight. Biggest lesson learned: get some gloves. Y'all preach lighting the fire in the front. Invariably, that will be the hottest part for the first 60-90 minutes. So I attacked this tonight with no glove and only a fork, because I didn't have time to run back around the house into the kitchen. For those of you with a military background, you understand FUBAR. Being in south central Texas, I conjugate it like a Spanish verb. Tonight, yo fubo. I was FUBAR. But the beauty is, tomorrow I can try again.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    That's better than that Nair for men stuff.

Big Green Egg - "The World's Best Grill, Smoker, and Depilatory Treatment."

Save money on propane and razor blades. Invest today!
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    We all have made mistakes, chalk it up for experience and carry on. The next time you wont do that for sure.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Probably a good time to recalibrate you dome thermometer. 

Glad the steaks turned out good in the end. For raised direct I use firebricks cut in half on my large and have a Woo for my small. I actually have not cooked without it on my small. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    is your gage 800 or 1000?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    GQuiz said:
    If the BGE done temp goes around and touches 50 again... How hot is it? I can't get to my steaks... Not a matter of how well. Got carbon dating for that. I couldn't get even the small soda cans to stay up to do raised direct. Outside of grabbing a bottle of Old Grand Dad, any suggestions would be appreciated.
    I got selected to be the test subject in our Breathalyzer class.  The instructor gave me $20 and said to get what I like.  Old Grand Dad 100 proof!   That was a funny cook story, glad the steaks turned out OK.  I would suggest you get a Webber grid at the local Ace, then use your BGE grid as a base, with bricks to raise the Webber for DIY raised grid.  Even better, get a Woo.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys