Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can't eat it......

2»

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Not to highjack your thread but wonder if this would be a good first cook for my new himalayan salt block. Not sure if the hint of salt would be a good or bad thing
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034

Not a worry Chubbs, I still want to get a salt block

Great question

Hope someone can answer

Shane

• AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Nice looking cooks!

My wife and I are big fans of seared tuna on the egg. Same method as you pretty much do. Really hot egg....like 700 degrees or higher. Tuna on the egg....probably less than 1 min per side.

We are lucky enough to have found a fish monger who makes daily trips into Boston for fresh seafood....it's a bit of a drive for us, but so worth it.

I am not adept at using chop sticks though....I suppose I should try them again....maybe.
  • Mr Holloway

Thanks Dyal SC

Interest to see how the turbo method works out

Shane

• Mr Holloway

Thanks Ale Brewer

Yes, I have been lucky enough to find a great fish monger

I can see now why fish has never been a favorite, been starting with

an inferior product.

Dated a girl from Beijing, so with chopsticks,  I either learned, or didn't eat :))

Shane

• AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Chubbs....I have done tuna on the salt block. It turns pretty good, it just doesn't get a great sear to it.
  • Love the sesame-seared tuna!  I like to have mine with wasabi potatoes... good stuff!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    AleBrewer said:
    Chubbs....I have done tuna on the salt block. It turns pretty good, it just doesn't get a great sear to it.
    Thanks!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Mr Holloway

Thanks John

Wasabi potatoes sound tasty,

Care to share a recipe?

Shane

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    I saw some posts about "mamas fish house" in maui on this forum recently.  Has anybody tried to SEARED AHI TUNA appetizer?  

My wife and I ordered it on our honeymoon in November . . . hands-down the best fish I have ever had.  Here is a little write-up about this dish.

imageNever in my life – not on any of my stops in hundreds of restaurants on the east coast, down in South America, all throughout California – have I tasted ahi tuna that fresh and delightful. In fact, we even went to several other restaurants all over Maui, at five-star hotels and at casual, local places, ordering tons of ahi tuna, but I can still confidently say that nothing else came close to Mama’s Fish House. 

Mama’s ahi tuna is perfectly seared to crunchy perfection on the outside, and so buttery and rich on the inside, melting in your mouth. There was a brief second when eating it, that I closed my eyes and murmured to myself: “I never want this moment to end.” In fact, it was so good that we ended up getting two more orders. 

So if you ever find yourself on the island of Maui, treat your taste buds to Mama’s Fish House and order the ahi tuna (call in advance to make sure it’s there). If you’re going to go all the way to paradise, then make sure you go all the way. See you there soon! 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    That's some great looking tuna! I did some Ahi on my Lodge hibachi a few days back, but have never done it on the egg. Will have to try it.

I get my Ahi tuna steaks from Costco - fresh not frozen (I think) and they taste awesome when seared.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mr Holloway

Thanks Caliking

This was a first for us.

Will be getting some again soon

Shane

• NDG
    Got some fresh sushi grade Ahi Tuna yesterday, did 1 hr long marinade (thanks @billyray) and turned out amazing.  Thanks for the great idea!

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • @ndg you have a recipe for that salad
  • NDG
    Yes we should and I will try to post later.  My wife made it and it was amazing.  Started with assortment of veggies (butternut squash is the orange color) & nuts on a backing sheet in oven for broil, then add to cooked Quinoa with lemon, sheeps milk feta, etc.  Great side.
    Columbus, OH

• Mr Holloway
    edited February 2013

Very nice job

Reminds me, I need to get some tuna again, soon.

Shane