Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s time to kick back, relax and enjoy the aromas of fresh smoked meat as we sail towards summer. Not sure what to smoke? Try Down & Dizzy Pork Shoulder or Smoked Spanish Chicken. Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Meat Pies on the Egg

National Pie Day is this Wednesday. 

I like making savory meat pies (aka hand pies) on the Egg.  I think you get a crisper, tastier crust than ones made in the oven.  I like these because you can stuff them just about anything, especially leftover BBQ pork or chicken.   Here are the ones I made yesterday.

These that I made yesterday had a filling made of leftover pulled pork, pepper jack cheese, fire roasted bell pepper, anahiem chile, red onion, cilantro, and some Blues Hog bbq sauce.

The dough was 10 Tbsp butter, 6 oz cream cheese, and 2 Tbsp cream whipped together and then 2 1/2 cups of AP flour and 1 tsp salt blended in.  Divide into two 5" x 3/4" discs, wrap and refrigerate 1 hour or more.  Divide each disk into 4 equal portions and make into balls.  (Dough recipe from the book Savory Pies).

Roll each out into a 6" circle and put some filling in there.

Wet the edge with an egg wash and fold over and crimp it sealed.  Then I put them on the Egg at 425f, plate setter legs down, 1/4" spacers and a pizza stone on top of that. 

The first batch took 30 minutes, the second batch was done at little quicker, around 25. 

Alternative dough method:  If you don't want to make your own dough, you can try the canned biscuit technique, that was how my mom taught me as a kid.   Overlap 2 canned biscuits to make a figure 8 and then roll them flat.   Then stuff with your filling and bake 8-10 minutes at 425f.  (Here's more about that method).

I'm getting hungry, I wish that I had one leftover for breakfast!

Comments