Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat Pies on the Egg

National Pie Day is this Wednesday. 

I like making savory meat pies (aka hand pies) on the Egg.  I think you get a crisper, tastier crust than ones made in the oven.  I like these because you can stuff them just about anything, especially leftover BBQ pork or chicken.   Here are the ones I made yesterday.

These that I made yesterday had a filling made of leftover pulled pork, pepper jack cheese, fire roasted bell pepper, anahiem chile, red onion, cilantro, and some Blues Hog bbq sauce.

The dough was 10 Tbsp butter, 6 oz cream cheese, and 2 Tbsp cream whipped together and then 2 1/2 cups of AP flour and 1 tsp salt blended in.  Divide into two 5" x 3/4" discs, wrap and refrigerate 1 hour or more.  Divide each disk into 4 equal portions and make into balls.  (Dough recipe from the book Savory Pies).

Roll each out into a 6" circle and put some filling in there.

Wet the edge with an egg wash and fold over and crimp it sealed.  Then I put them on the Egg at 425f, plate setter legs down, 1/4" spacers and a pizza stone on top of that. 

The first batch took 30 minutes, the second batch was done at little quicker, around 25. 

Alternative dough method:  If you don't want to make your own dough, you can try the canned biscuit technique, that was how my mom taught me as a kid.   Overlap 2 canned biscuits to make a figure 8 and then roll them flat.   Then stuff with your filling and bake 8-10 minutes at 425f.  (Here's more about that method).

I'm getting hungry, I wish that I had one leftover for breakfast!
Knoxville, TN
Nibble Me This

Comments