Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Massive T-Bone advice?

njl
njl Posts: 1,123
I was hunting for some weekend steaks at Costco, not finding anything I was really happy with and then I found these massive T-Bone steaks.  It's a 2 pack, 4.3lbs.  They must be at least 2 to 2.5" thick.  What are your favorite methods for cooking such thick bone-in steaks (rare to medium rare)?  I'm guessing they should sit out at room temp for at least an hour before cooking if possible...maybe longer.  I'll probably give them a salt & pepper sprinkle and just a little bit of my rib dry rub.

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    No need to warm them. Put them in a 225-250 stable egg (smoke wood if you like - I prefer none) some Penzey's Chicago Steak (my fav) indirect until internal hits maybe 115. For a 2" to 2-1/2" steak this might take 30-40 minutes. Low and slow and even cooking. 
    Pull them, foil to rest. Pull the setter an crank the egg to after-burn. 
    I put my CI grid under the setter so it is already pretty hot when I open up the egg. 
    Reverse sear maybe <60 seconds each side. They will be beautiful....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    +1
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Another way is just to put them on and cook. This was dusted with Richard's Death By Garlic. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• njl
    Never considered low&slow for steaks, but I guess the thicker the are, the more sense that makes.
  • Skiddymarker
    njl said:
    Never considered low&slow for steaks, but I guess the thicker the are, the more sense that makes.
    Depends on what you want. You can blast a steak with high heat, then finish it at a lower temp, to keep the outside from becoming a chunk of Interstate, or you can cook slower and more evenly allowing the season/rub to work and then finish with high heat. Both work well, just depends on what you want. The outside is different on a reverse sear, IMHO, it is more flavorfull. The surface temp has been warmed and dried a bit allowing the Maillard reaction to happen differently. 

The high heat technique tends to allow a medium rare center with a more medium to well done outside. The reverse sear, more like a poor man's sous vide, allows a more edge to edge medium rare with just the outside browned. 

With the egg, the biggest issue is getting the indirect set up out and getting a direct sear set up in. I put my CI grid on the fire ring, setter then SS grid for the indirect slow cook. Once internal is 115 or so, (SWMBO likes well done so her steak went on 10-15 minutes earlier) I pull and hold the meat, pull the setter and open the egg up. Within minutes the temp is 500+ and the CI grid is searing hot. 
    Try it.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • njl
    Removing the plate setter after a "long" low and slow should be easy.  I've done ribeyes over really high indirect heat, then removed the plate setter, and reverse seared.  Removing the plate setter when the egg has been doing 700F is tricky.

I think these T-bones will be the thickest steaks I've put on the egg though. 
  • Bham_egger
    Bham_egger Posts: 196
    edited January 2013

We did some this thick a few weeks ago. First rubbed them with Penzey's Chicago. Seared at 900 for 3 min each side, pulled them off and let the egg come down to 300.  Added some Mesquite chunks and slow cooked to 115 ish.  Let them rest for 15 min.  Here is the result.  Ours were Bone in Ribeye.  We took a 4lb Bone in rib roast and cut into 2 steaks.

ss3.jpg 43.6K
  • njl

No need to warm them. Put them in a 225-250 stable egg (smoke wood if you like - I prefer none) some Penzey's Chicago Steak (my fav) indirect until internal hits maybe 115. For a 2" to 2-1/2" steak this might take 30-40 minutes. Low and slow and even cooking. 
    Pull them, foil to rest. Pull the setter an crank the egg to after-burn. 
    I put my CI grid under the setter so it is already pretty hot when I open up the egg. 
    Reverse sear maybe <60 seconds each side. They will be beautiful....
    This is pretty much what I did, and they turned out great.  I left them on the counter (salt and peppered) for about 2 hours, then put them in a stable 250F indirect egg.  I started the reverse sear a little too early (about 105F IT) and after a couple minutes of high temp searing, I dialed it back to around 400-450F and gave it a few more minutes to finish.  The initial cooking did take a little more than 30 minutes.
  • Skiddymarker
    Sounds like it worked very well for you. 
  • njl
    BTW...we split one for dinner and didn't quite finish it.  The second is tomorrow's dinner.
  • njl
    I just did a pair of Coscto ridiculously thick rib eye steaks this same way.  The thicker one took 45min at 275F before it was ready for searing.  The two of us split most of one for dinner.