Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burger question

rholt
rholt Posts: 392
edited January 2013 in EggHead Forum
Looking to impress the family with egged burgers. I was thinking raised direct at 450 dome. I was going for in internal temp of about 165. They are not huge fans of pinkness in the center of their burgers. Does this sound good? Don't have a reverse sear option. :-(

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Yes you do. Just go back to reg cooking level from high in dome.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Do you have a CI pan? If so, put it directly onto the coals to get super hot for a sear. In fact, yoiu could probably accomplish the same thing with any pan that would hold up to the temp (especially the handle) and that you're not worried about possibly marring for life.

I love burgers on the egg, good luck!

B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • rholt
    So would 450 until 15 degrees be a good idea? Then drop down to regular grate level?
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I have a reverse sear option. I cook my burgers at 300-350 grid indirect. Use a drip pan, but the lower the heat the less fat seems to be forced out of the burgers. I use an 80/20 mix. Once at about 145 internal, pull them, pull the heat shield and fire up the egg to sear, maybe 450 dome. 
    Drop the burgers on to color and internal will be 155-165. 
    Although well cooked, these are still quite juicy. 

Burgers also do well at 400 direct, raised. seems to cook them without forcing out all the fat and creating a drip fire.. IMHO. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • rholt
    Great. Thanks. I think I will go raised direct at 400. Lots of burgers going on the XL and it would probably result in several casualties if I am not fast enough turning them.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I'm a fan of the reverse sear.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN