Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shredded Beef with Sweet Peppers

I'm thinking I'm wearing out my welcome with Asian dishes, so let me know if I should get back to spatchcocks.

I am delving deeper into authentic regional Chinese dishes.  This one is Sichuan.  Sichuan is famous for hot and spicy dishes, but this one is not hot at all.  No chili oil, not even any ginger.  I got the recipe from the book: Land of Plenty: Authentic Sichuan Recipes by Fuchsia Dunlop.  Essentially, it's flank steak with bell peppers and sauce.

Here is a brief photo essay.

First, stir fry the bell peppers.

Offload them to a plate, then stir fry the beef.  It is very important to keep the ingredients sizzling throughout the cook.  Wok hei cannot be achieved if the wok temperature gets too low.

A few steps missing here, but essentially you put the bell peppers back on, add sweet bean paste and then add the sauce.  ALWAYS drizzle the sauce down the sides of the wok instead of the middle so you don't lower the temperature too much.

Finished.

Plated with some store bought dumplings (thanks to Kristi's inspiration).  I like my dumplings so much more, but I am out of them at the present.

In case you're interested, here is the recipe.

Ingredients:

1/2 pound Flank steak

1/2 Red Bell Pepper

1/2 Green bell peppers

1/4 teaspoon Salt

2 teaspoons Szechuan sweet bean paste

Peanut Oil

-----Marinade------

1/2 teaspoon Salt

2 teaspoons Shao Hsing rice wine

3 teaspoons Corn starch

-----Sauce --------

1 1/2 teaspoons Light Soy Sauce

1/4 teaspoon Salt

3/4 teaspoon Corn starch

3 tablespoons Chicken stock

Directions:

1. Cut the beef against the grain into very fine slivers and place it in a bowl.  Add the marinade ingredients and mix well.  

2. Cut the peppers into long, thin strips to match the beef.  

3. Combine the sauce ingredients into a small bowl.

4. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wok over a medium flame.  Add the bell peppers and ¼ teaspoon of salt and stir fry for about a minute, until they are just cooked.  Remove and set aside.  

5. Rinse out the wok

6. Add 2 teaspoons of oil to the beef and mix well.

7. Season the wok, then add 3 tablespoons of oil and heat over a high flame.  Add the beef and stir fry briskly.  When the meat strips have separated out, add the sweet bean paste and stir fry for about 10 seconds until the sauce is hot and fragrant.

8. Add the peppers and mix well.  

9. Immediately give the sauce a stir and add it to the wok.  Stir for a few seconds more until the sauce has thickened and then turn everything out onto a serving plate.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• I'm thinking I'm wearing out my welcome with Asian dishes, so let me know if I should get back to spatchcocks.
    VI, it's really great that you do such different things.  I'm about to go to your personal website to get some ideas for something different to try this weekend.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    You wore out your welcome a long time ago. Nice cook!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• You wore out your welcome a long time ago. Nice cook!
    Yes, I remember it well.  It was my post that said "Hi.  My name is Gary.  I'm new here".

:-S

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Very cool.  How do you get the cooked stuff out of the wok?  do you ladle the stuff out or pick the wok up and dump it?  I know some woks have a long handle but yours doesnt.  I've never really understood the process.
  • Rusty,

That wok is so seasoned, the food just slides off of it.  I pick it up on the handles with two gloves, then dump it.  Just for a change, I am breaking in a new wok with a handle to try a different technique of alternating shuffling the food with the handle, then flipping it with a chuan.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• ... I'm back from VI's page-o-cooks.  Thinking maybe Bool Kogi or Char Sui or Beef Negimayaki ...
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    ALWAYS drizzle the sauce down the sides of the wok instead of the middle so you don't lower the temperature too much.
    That's interesting.  I do the opposite, actually spread the food towards the sides of the wok and pour the sauce into the hot center.  At that point, the food is cooked; the sauce (your recipe is very similar to mine) thickens almost immediately, and then I toss everything together to coat.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Botch,
    As long as you keep the food sizzling hot, I'm sure that would work just as well.  What you don't want is to have your food in the middle, and dump your sauce on top of it.  The way I do it is how I learned from Grace Young.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Lord have mercy, that looks so good. Bookmarked.
  • VI, I found the links/recipes for the Char Sui and Beef Negimayaki, but it looks like the recipe you used (via a different forum member) for Bool Kogi has been deleted.  I don't mean to hijack this thread, but would you mind posting the recipe for Bool Kogi?

By the way, did you post for a while as Howdy Doody??
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    I'm here for the spatchcock.
  • Reeyahps said:
    VI, I found the links/recipes for the Char Sui and Beef Negimayaki, but it looks like the recipe you used (via a different forum member) for Bool Kogi has been deleted.  I don't mean to hijack this thread, but would you mind posting the recipe for Bool Kogi?

By the way, did you post for a while as Howdy Doody??
    I got the recipe from this link.  Click here.  I think I stuck to the recipe pretty much.

As far as posting under another name, I have been in the Witness Protection Program and disclosing any prior user names could be detrimental to my health.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mighty_Quinn  I couldn't disclose my spatchcock technique.  It is a secret process, handed down in my family from father to son as far back as Lord Spatchcock of Inverness, my g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g grandfather.  How about beer can chicken?

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Gary, I may have missed it in a previous post....but is that a 16" wok from CGS?
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Beer can chicken could work...do you do that indirect or direct? How long will that take?
  • I got the recipe from this link.  Click here.  I think I stuck to the recipe pretty much.

Thanks!!!
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Your cooks will never wear out with me.  I could use a chuckle from doing something off beat in the wok.

If you know how to do them, I would love to see a wok made omlet, oh, and something using fish.

Would be very interested to see soups as well.

I too wonder if I am wearing out my welcome sometimes with my pedestrian but frequent cooks, but there are always new folks cycling through, please keep it up.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Rusty,

I pick it up on the handles with two gloves, then dump it. 
    +1, I move mine wearing Ovegloves and using welders gloves like pot holders.  I don't dump mine, but move it to one of the other Eggs which is unlit and cold.  I then put a cover on the wok for a few minutes.  First time I moved it I used only welders gloves and it took about 3 seconds to start burning me badly.  Fortunately I have some experience with getting burned from welding, and instead of dumping it in the pool I was able to set in on the deck.  Still have a scar from that burn.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited January 2013
    As always a treat to look at, thanks for the info, great cook. Taiwanese friend says you have good taste in cooking wine, she usually drinks that stuff - the Shao Hsing that is....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited January 2013
    AleBrewer said:
    Gary, I may have missed it in a previous post....but is that a 16" wok from CGS?
    AB,
    It's a 16 inch wok, but I don't recall if I got that one from CGS or The Wok Shop in San Francisco.  I have 5 woks, so I don't remember where I got each one.  I think the 16" CS wok from both places are almost identical, and both places are easy to do business with.

Advantages to The Wok Shop:  More of a selection.  Also, get accessories, like a long spatula.
    Advantages to CGS: You can get a spider for the wok at the same time.  Tom is an Egghead.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited January 2013

If you know how to do them, I would love to see a wok made omlet, oh, and something using fish.

Doc,

I do Migas (scrambled eggs, Mexican chorizo, serrano chiles, tomato, onion, bell pepper, corn tortillas, cheddar cheese, cilantro) on a wok, but I always use my mini wok on the Mini for them.  I'll take pictures next time.

I do blackened fish on a comal, but not on a wok.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    I always enjoy Asian done on the Egg and don't get tired of these posts at all!  Nicely done.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    keep it going man (or should i say ManGrate!)  I have been watching your cooks for almost a year now.  I never get sick of the cook, the creativity and your willingness to share----thanks, and wok on

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Sorry ccpoulin. Accidentally hit disagree with damn iPhone.

@VI solid as always my man. I need to dust off my wok this weekend.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    VI I also enjoy all your cooks from spatchcock to wok. I ordered a wok,shovel & spatula from webrestaurantstore.com got a 16 carbon steel seasoned it with 5 coats of flaxseed oil, love it.Also I just saved to my desktop the link to Pepper Fools thanks for all the info I get from your post.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • AleBrewer
    Thanks Gary....I've ordered stuff from Tom before, and I'm very happy with my woo and extender grate. I'll be getting a spider from him for sure. I have a 16" carbon steel wok with a wooden handle now.....but it's been pretty well abused. Looking to pick up a new one. I'll probably get one from  Tom or the wok shop....need to get some of those long handled utensils too.
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Well I don't get tired of seeing your wok posts VI, I did get tired of seeing mine. I've made some more stuff on the wok myself, but I haven't bothered posting pictures cause I felt like I was becoming a one trick pony.

That looks like an amazing, amazing dinner! It almost looks too colorful and too good to eat. Thank you for posting the recipe I think that's on my short list of things to do on the wok.

I'm doing something interesting today and a little bit different. I'm actually sitting out in my grill gazebo keeping an eye on the Egg so I don't set my cedar plank boat I'm doing this dish in on fire.

Thanks again for this amazing post!!

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Hwy VI I wanted to thank you again for this recipe. I made it tonight for supper and it is my favorite beef stir fry I've made to date. The flank steak had an incredible beefy flavor that my wife and I both enjoyed a lot.

I gotta ask: Have you made any other recipes from this cookbook and would you recommend this cookbook?
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Wow, Jim.  Ya know, when I see a post like yours, it makes coming to the forum all worth while.  I don't post cooks to brag, but to hopefully share something I found that is good with the rest of the folks so that they may enjoy it too.  That's why I always try to post the recipe or the link where I got it.

I am so glad that you liked it.  As far as the book, I think you are a lot like me.  You want to know about the culture and history of the cuisine as much as you want to discover new recipes and techniques.  This book will not disappoint in that regard.  I think, over time, I will cook 15 or more recipes from the book.  Note that I have a Western palate and some of the recipes do not excite me much.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• AleBrewer
    Who are you kidding VI? You post these pics to make us spend more cash. Yesterday I bought a bunch of stuff from the Wok Shop, and a spider from Tom.

Thanks to you, I can't afford my Mangrates this month!!

Oh yeah, also picked up "Breath of a Wok" too.

Looking forward to trying a bunch of new stuff after I season the new wok.