Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2nd Pizza (Pics)

Did my 2nd pizza tonight, not bad.  Crust wasn't as crispy and uniform as I would like and top could have been more done, put on at 500 with stone preheated, think next time would be better at 600. Used place setter with CI grate and stone.  So I would welcome any suggestions or comments

Comments

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    edited January 2013
    I have been working on pizza for a long time on my egg.

I do not know if you are making your dough or not.  But if you are.

I would suggest starting to measure your ingredients (by weight).  For the best results you need to match your dough to your temp.  Wetter dough higher temp.  Store bought dough lower temp.. 500 ish. Times vary as well.

Getting the stone higher than the felt line will help getting the top of the pizza more finished... that is sort of a more universal pizza egg technique that will definately help
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • Last weekend made pizzas , best I have made so far. As rtt121 said ,I raised the stone via adjustable rig higher in the dome.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Looks great! Pizza is always fun.

Different flours play a big role in the doughs taste and texture, it looks like you are off to a great start so keep trying new recipes and different ingredients till you find what works for you and your taste buds.

This is a good one http://www.fornobravo.com/PDF/Using-caputo-tipo00.pdf

Here are some more  http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/category_s/463.htm

I don't know if you are making your own sauce but this is the one I've been working on
     Enough for about 6 or more 13" pizzas
        1  28oz can crushed San Marzano tomatoes
        1/4 cup of a sweet white or red wine
        2 cloves of garlic chopped
        1/3 of a sweet onion (white) chopped
        2 tbs of EVOO
        1 pinch of sea salt
        1 pinch of table grind pepper or crushed red
        1 tbs sugar
        1 pinch of fresh chopped basil
         oregano
         Fresh grated Parmiggiano Reggiano  

Using an 10" frying pan start reducing the wine and add the garlic when wine begins to bubble (like when water starts to boil). When wine is reduced to bubbles only (it will be almost gone) add the EVOO and the onion. When onion is tender add the remaining ingredients in no specific order. Shake oregano to taste (I do enough to cover most of the top) and top with the fresh parmisan to taste. Stir well and simmer for no less than 30 mins. (you can simmer less but the flavors should have some time to meld).

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I had reasonable success with pizza on the egg recently. Made the dough from Alton Brown's recipe on the Food Network website.Used King Arthur bread flour.  Fired up the egg to about 600F. Platesetter legs down, stock grid, then BGE pizza stone. Some differences from past pizza attempts:

- when rolling out the dough, keep dusting the dough with flour and rolling it out until it stops shrinking back after being rolled. 

- when assembling the pizza on the peel, keep jiggling it to make sure that the dough slides freely on the peel.. Don't assemble the pie and leave it on the peel for too long. Alternatively, you can asemble on parchment paper.

-while cooking, I had the DW off so I could peek in through the top vent. Rotated the pies halfway (after 3-4 mins).

I was making thin crust pizzas. I could have docked the dough with a fork before assembling to have superthin crust, but I was quite satisfied with the results. .

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Forgot to mention - your pie looks tasty! I'll take a slice.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Pizza - its all good, great job. As always the chef is never pleased. 
    Takes awhile to get really comfortable. Suggest you change only one thing at a time. More or less moisture in the dough, cook temp, where in the dome etc...
    My first pies had great crust, but the topping wasn't to my liking. Grandkids made their own, came out great - they used much less as topping. I downsized my pies - Eureka! 
    Keep at it! 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!