Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some help please

I plan on cooking a ham on the egg tomorrow. Never done one on the egg. Do I cook it like you do in the oven? We always do 325-350 for 20 minutes a pound in the oven. How do you do it on the egg? The ham is bone in, not spiral cut, and is 10.5 lbs. What temp to cook at, what internal temp do you cook to, about how long will this take, put in pan with water or put directly on grid, or should I use v-rack? Any suggestions on seasoning? I know this is a lot of questions but I am still a BGE rookie. Thanks for the help.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited January 2013
    Look around for Egret's Ham. I assume it is precooked. It is the best, am not at my regular 'puter or would send you the link. Oops, just found it.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Is the ham cured but raw, or cured and cooked, or uncured and raw?  If it's already cooked, you're basically heating it up.  If it's raw and uncured, it must be cooked hotter than raw and cured.

There should be some cooking instructions on the wrapper.  Cook to internal temp.  The egg temp isn't that important except to how fast it will cook.  I don't recommend using time and temperature as a sole method of cooking - they should be used just as a guide to estimate cooking time.
    Here's one I kind of like! :(|)

Egret's Ham

by John Hall (egret)

Ingredients:

Maple-Bourbon Paste (recipe follows)

10-12 # cooked, ready to eat Ham (bone-in Butt or Shank section) 

1/2-1 cup Maple Syrup

Cherry and Apple Chunks

Preparation:

The day before smoking, place ham in a pan flat side down. Inject in multiple locations with maple syrup (use more than 1 cup if it will take it).

Smear the Maple-Bourbon Paste all over the exposed surfaces (except flat side). Cover loosely with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator until ready to smoke (You can remove ham from refrigerator up to one hour before cooking).

Stabilize egg at 250℉ with plate setter (legs up) and regular grid on plate setter. Put 3 or 4 good size chunks of wood on coals, then place ham on grid. Cook until internal temperature reaches 140°. (this should take about 5 hours). 

Maple-Bourbon Paste:

2 Tbls. pure Maple Syrup

2 Tbls. freshly ground Black Pepper

2 Tbls. Dijon or Honey-Dijon Mustard

1 Tbls. Bourbon

1 Tbls. Vegetable Oil

1 Tbls. Paprika

1 Tbls. Onion Powder 

2 tsp. coarse Salt, either Kosher or Sea Salt

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    Thanks guys.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Is the ham cured but raw, or cured and cooked, or uncured and raw?  If it's already cooked, you're basically heating it up.  If it's raw and uncured, it must be cooked hotter than raw and cured.

There should be some cooking instructions on the wrapper.  Cook to internal temp.  The egg temp isn't that important except to how fast it will cook.  I don't recommend using time and temperature as a sole method of cooking - they should be used just as a guide to estimate cooking time.
    I thought anything that said "Ham" was cooked or cured, in other words, ready to eat. If it is not cooked or ready to eat, it is a pork shoulder, picnic whatever. 
    What Nola said - if it is a ham, you are just warming it up. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    Hams are the thigh of the hind leg.  They're usually cured and cooked, but they can be cured and uncooked.   And they can be uncured and uncooked - those will taste like a shoulder and cook the same way. 
    @nolaegghead ...it is a hickory smoked, pre cooked, shank portion ham.

• nolaegghead
    Oh, well then, cook to 148F internal.  350 dome if you want it done quick, 250 if you want more smoke time.  I don't know the time per pound, probably in the range of 18-25 minutes depending on temp.