Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hey Nola I'm alive!

Nothing happened

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Did you swallow a mangrate?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    No, I sous vided a bottom round. I did it for about 16 hours @ 120* and then read that the connective tissue doesn't break down below 130*. Turned it up and when I pulled it out it had a pungent smell. Not rotten but different. I ate some and then decided to pitch it (as wife had already taken note of said aroma) I PM'd Nola to get his opinion and he kinda concurred.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I had the same experience, but my roast smell was putrid.  I then sous vided a chicken, and it was OK but flavorless unless I seared it on the Egg.

I decided that sous vide is not for me.  It's in the attic.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• I had the same experience, but my roast smell was putrid.  I then sous vided a chicken, and it was OK but flavorless unless I seared it on the Egg.

I decided that sous vide is not for me.  It's in the attic.
    You are correct. SV food has no flavor. It's all about the texture. Chicken done SV low and slow at 147 is juicy and fork tender but it has no flavor until you finish it (sear/torch/egg etc). If you eat something right out of the SV you would certainly wonder what all the fuss is about. But finish it right and it's out of this world

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Little Steven

Gary,

I'm in the honeymood phase right now but the long term use I see is real tough meats and poultry and fish. I am going to try and do bulgogi this weekend. Pulled off some duck cofit today that looks like the real deal. Putting pork steaks on tonight for dinner tomorrow and I'll grill them on my new mangrates to see if I get the Missouri experience.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Wish I had a mangrate. I could probably snowboard on the brown snow too. It works for everything!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    OMG!  just saw this....

You didn't tell me it was 16 hours!  I wouldn't have said it's ok to ratchet up the temp.  hahaha

• Eggcelsior
    ¡No es Bueno! ¿Donde esta el baño?
  • nolaegghead
    I'm still laughing my ass off - here's the conversation:
    • Little Steven January 15

Hey! I dropped a bottom round roast in @ 120*. Then in searching today I saw that the rendering process doesn't start til 130*. Called home and asked Norma to bump it up to 130*. See any problems?

Thanks

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead January 15
      Not if you bump it up.  It's OK to SV under 131*, but it's like cold smoking - you want to keep your time under 4 hours or you want it cured.   Just changing SV batch temp isn't a big deal.  I've bumped it up or down if I don't like the way it's going.  You can feel the food through the bag and tell if it's getting more tender (or less).
    • Little StevenLittle Steven January 15
      That's what I thought just wanted to run it by you. Haven't done the confit yet. Will do that tonight. Thanks man!
      Sweet - lemme know how it turns out.  Are you doing en confit or some waterfowl?
      Duck leg quaters
      Well I pulled it out just now and it smelled really strong. Still tough as a boot. Ate a bit and resealed the rest to go back on til tomorrow. Figure if I'm not down by then It's ok for the family.
      120 is a great temp for an incubator over time.  I'm sure you'll be fine.  I think VI did an incubation, and that's what turned him off to SV.   Just post "I'm Alive!" or something tomorrow so I know you're ok.  Still looking forward to meeting you in Salado.

Well if you put it all in context it looks a little different >-)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

LS, give it up man. Just toss it. If you end up in the ER, they will do an elaborate w/u for the dang FLU and not SV **** you kept goin in an out. C.diff?

Be sure you got lots of gatoraid and bottled water handy. Oh! And the shitters work OK?

:))

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    How do you say mangrate in Spanish? Mangrato?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Little Steven
    Hasn't hit me yet dude!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    hahahah...takes about 24 hours.  I should'a said day after tomorrow. 

You'll be fine.  I got my worst case of food poisoning a couple of months after Katrina.  I begged Bridget to take me to the ER.  I thought I was gonna die.  And I have an iron stomach.  She said there's only one ER in town, and there's like a 12 hour wait unless you're spurting blood or cranial fluid.  I spend the night blasting poison out both ends and for the first time in my life didn't care if I died as long as the pain would stop.  Next day I felt like imagine Octimom did without an epidural.    24 hours...tick tick tick...
    If you get food poisoning, you're going to have a bad time...
  • Chubbs
    This is the funniest thread I have read on this forum. LS, I hope you don't get the FP. That $hit sucks. Had my first go at it a month ago. Can't believe Nola talked you into that. Nola, are you really Stike? Did you create Manti Teos GF too?
  • Little Steven
    Chubbs said:
    This is the funniest thread I have read on this forum. LS, I hope you don't get the FP. That $hit sucks. Had my first go at it a month ago. Can't believe Nola talked you into that. Nola, are you really Stike? Did you create Manti Teos GF too?

Thanks man! He drove me to it

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Stike isn't really stike - he's a character invented by Big Green Dave.  He's been laughing in his trailer for years!
    All Hail the King of the Trolls!
  • All Hail the King of the Trolls!

stike?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Eggcelsior
    No, Nola. He is the self-proclaimed master, but that didn't fit with my game of thrones reference.
  • Chubbs

Lil Steven, you good?

• Little Steven
    Funny dude! I was just re-reading the thread. Yeah I'm fine thanks!

Steve 

Caledon, ON