Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mixed emotions tonight

Aviator
Aviator Posts: 1,757
edited January 2013 in Off Topic

As a few of you know, I just returned from another deployment in the Army. This is gettin tired and fam is upset.

Those of us who have done that and been there know what it takes to "defend".  I am not going to elaborate.

NO, This is not a debate thread. Where we bash out what we want.

I am glad to note today that the right to bear arms for the outstanding, law abiding, exemplary, peace lovin, patriotic, selfless Americans have at least temporarily prevailed. (you may elaborate on these)I do feel a deep sense of remorse and pain for the loss of the innocent lives of children, but evil does exist and we all need to do our best. Its more in other parts of the world.As mentioned above, forgive me, my egg, its raining and I am under the influence, safe at home. Just sayin...If you dont have some nice to say, say nothin. Its OK and we will be OK.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited January 2013
    Thanks for your service. We are better as a country for it.

I left my 10 ft pole at home. Have a great night! :))
  • Aviator.......Thanks for doing your best and actually having a heart and giving a S%&t.  I hope there is a legion of men and women in the military that are just like you.  Enjoy your family.  There are many old frustrated guys like me that are fed up!  We  are going to have to stick together to get through this BS.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    I went thru a phase when I was about 12-13, circa 1997, where I was into comic books. And there was/is a monthly mag for Comics called Wizard that covered upcoming stories, had contest, and showed value for comics. The beginning, like most mags, had a section where readers would write letters and certain ones got a response. I can't remember what the letter was about but one of the responses that has stuck with me sense, at the time bc it was funny but now bc of relevance, is "when Nerf is outlawed only outlaws will have Nerf".
    Boom
  • Aviator
    edited January 2013

Sorry for the rant, but patriotism is high when we just get off orders. I still am, on TL but being home brings it out. Its good here.

And, a few of the ole nasty gets one a tad more eloquent? :)

Chattanooga, TN.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    From the rules and disclaimer section of this forum (and I have a whole arsenal at home):

Do not post links or images or create posts that are irrelevant for the purpose of the forum, which includes insulting, offensive, racist, sexist, discriminatory, obscene or vulgar remarks or any post which may be found to be in violation of any law or ordinance. This includes posts on topics which are polarizing or inflammatory in nature. If you do any of this, we will of course delete the post and ban you permanently.
    edited January 2013
    Drunk dialing...who does that anymore?  Now folks drunk post!!    \:D/
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • nolaegghead
    haha..I do enough drunk posting.  I'm all for that.  But happy drunk, kids.  Not bitter drunk.   Unless it's about football. :D
    Nola, I just took this picture of my patrol vest. It is red, which is considered an inflammatory, belligerent color. Don't worry! I took the picture through my polarized goggles. Can we open a thread about photochromatism? I'm with you on this one....
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Nice post - and I like your paraphrase of Thumper's statement, If you ain't got nothing nice to say, don't say nothing at all. 

Enjoy your time at home with those you love and protect. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    He, more than anyone, would know the definition. 

In Internet slang, a troll (pron.: /ˈtrl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is someone who posts inflammatory,[1]extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[3] The noun troll may also refer to the provocative message itself, as in: "That was an excellent troll you posted."

While the word troll and its associated verb trolling are associated with Internet discourse, media attention in recent years has made such labels subjective, with trolling describing intentionally provocative actions and harassment outside of an online context. For example, mass media has used troll to describe "a person who defaces Internet tribute sites with the aim of causing grief to families."[
    @Aviator-If the regimen is not to your liking, vote with your feet. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Aviator

NOLA, me troll? Fine.

Next storm, lets see. :)

I am sorry i took your time.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Aviator
    edited January 2013
    Lou, I already did as many of you did as well :(

Chattanooga, TN.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Hey guys, wait a second here. Aviator, a contributing member had some stuff on his chest, which I sorta understand but can't quite make the connection cause I am Canadian. Despite that he has spent time deployed to protect our freedom. Ayayron is a toilet bug who has never contributed a thing here. Let's try and get a perspective here. Sorry Ayayron, oh I meant trevor

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Aviator

Ty LS, I am not here for kudos. I did and have done what I "volunteered" to do for my country. No big deal. I am happy to be back home.

I was rather commenting on the "luck" we happened upon as citizens of this country.  The battle is not over, but I am glad I am home and we have the freedom to argue. This may not make any sense to a lot of folks here but to those it does, !!!

Chattanooga, TN.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Thank you for your service sir!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    edited January 2013
    I think you're a good guy Aviator, and I enjoy your posts and I appreciate your service and empathize a fellow American's mixed feelings in all this.  I don't think you're intentionally "trolling", I think you, like I, feel we're a big family of sorts here and we like to talk about our feeling on things that weigh on us.  I'm a freedom nut and I have lots of guns, more than I need to protect myself unless I grow another dozen appendages.  It's just, well, it's getting divisive, and that's not good when we need to come together. 

This commercial was aired...do you think this is a valid logical argument?  This is why I don't like this subject. 

Sorry about any mixed feelings you have - I'm serious and no hard feeling, I'm feeling mixed up just like everyone, but we need to keep an open mind to problem solving, and stay away from ideology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv3QpTolRrs
    And that little piece of propaganda is not divisive?

Gerhard
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Aviator said:

Ty LS, I am not here for kudos. I did and have done what I "volunteered" to do for my country. No big deal. I am happy to be back home.

I was rather commenting on the "luck" we happened upon as citizens of this country.  The battle is not over, but I am glad I am home and we have the freedom to argue. This may not make any sense to a lot of folks here but to those it does, !!!

It makes sense to me. It just doesn't belong on a cooking forum. We come here to get away from the news, not rehash it.

Once again, thank you for defending my right to say that.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Thanks for your service!!!  I remember how hard it was after each deployment in 3rd world countries how it was hard to make sense of what was going on at home when I was living in the crazy crap for months at a time.  Good luck and hold tight to your family.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Aviator

Not a problem , man. But some who return have a deeper sense of the "price of freedom" Please dont think and portray that as trolling. The first time it happened, lasted for about 8 months and was nearly fired, lost my wife and my daughter who was 4 did not talk to me. Drove me nuts on top of what I was already. :)

It gets more sane with time and repeats.

But thats NOT what I was talkin bout. ------ Guns!!!!

Are we on the same page of music here, Nola?

Chattanooga, TN.

• Aviator

Ok, I am going to take Haps' advise and go Zzzzzzzzz.

GN all.

This thread is and needs to be closed.

Chattanooga, TN.

• nolaegghead
    We're all good. Gotta check on da egg...got some NY strips to cook.  ;)
    gerhardk said:

And that little piece of propaganda is not divisive?

Gerhard
    I think that was the point.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Where are you stationed?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.