Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ants Climbing A Tree

Options
2»

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited January 2013
    Options
    @Village_Idiot
    Gary - The recipe I use, took me awhile to find it. As you say, it is always tweaked. 

Larry - here is the translation for Ants climbing a tree

STEP 1:

250g dried thick rice noodle (any rice noodle, including angel’s hair will work)

STEP 2:

15ml cornstarch (sweet potato powder/starch can be used)

45 ml light soy sauce (your favorite, this is the only source of salt)

25 ml rice wine (If using Mirin, omit or reduce sugar)

10 ml sugar (if using Mirin for rice wine, sugar may be omitted or reduced)

10 ml sesame oil (dark, Kodak or Taiwan)

350g lean ground pork 

STEP3: See alternative below.

25 ml oil (peanut or canola or light sesame oil - if using dark sesame oil see alternative)

2 large garlic cloves finely chopped

1-2 fresh red chile, seeded and thin sliced (to taste)

2-3 green onions finely chopped

STEP 4:

Cilantro and Chinese parsley chopped as garnish, to taste (about 15-30ml)

1. Soak rice noodles in lukewarm water to cover for 20 minutes, until soft. (check package directions, they are different). Drain and set aside. 
    2. In large bowl mix (whisk) cornstarch, soy sauce, rice wine, sugar, 10ml of sesame oil. Ensure there are no lumps. Add ground pork, working with your hands. Do not squeeze the pork, just mix it. Set aside for 10 minutes to marinate. 
    3. Heat wok to high heat. Add 25 ml oil. Add garlic, chile and green onions, stir for <30 seconds, tip in the ground pork with any marinade left in the bowl. Stir fry for few minutes until pork is cooked. Add noodles and mix to warm. Remove from wok to serving plate.  
    4. Sprinkle with chopped herbs, serve. 

An alternative to Step 3:

As the wok heats to medium high heat, use dark sesame oil rather than peanut, canola or light sesame oil for a more pronounced sesame flavor. Before Wok is too hot, stir 25ml sesame oil, garlic, chile, onions all at the same time for <30 seconds. Do not let the oil smoke. Tip in the ground pork with any marinade left in the bowl. Stir fry for 5 minutes or until pork is no longer pink. This will take longer than using high heat. Add noodles and mix to warm. Remove from wok to serving plate.  

Source - Shirley Lee’s friend Judy. English translation provided by Hank Chen. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Thanks, Skiddy,

Looks pretty much like the same ingredients, except for the rice wine or mirin.  I haven't translated the metric to English measurements though.  I do have a confession.  I said I always try to follow the recipe exactly the first time I make a dish.  Truth is, I added some ShaoHsing wine, just because I like ShaoHsing in every Chinese dish I cook.
    :)

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Never used ShaoHsing, will look for it next trip to T&T Supermarkets. I agree, every dish gets cooking wine. If the recipe says to mix 2 Tbs water with 1Tbs cornstarch as a sauce thickener, I substitute cooking wine for the water. 

A Taiwanese friend "steams" her own rice wine and usually keeps me supplied. 
    The other one I use is this one. Trouble is our laws in Canada means it has to be salted so the winos don't knock it back. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    This is what I get.  I believe it is Taiwanese also.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Yep - it says TTL on it, Taiwanese Tobacco and Liquor. You have the high class stuff, 13.5 % and you can drink it if you want. The stuff I get is 9.5% and is salted. Our liquor stores carry only grape based Taiwan wines, no rice wines. 

Like the color. I'll ask my source about it, maybe next trip she'll bring me a bottle. Thanks! 
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Skiddy,

Come to Salado and I'll give you a bottle .... maybe 2.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited January 2013
    Options
    spammity spam spam :D ....  One general trend with smoke points of oils, if it is more refined, it has a higher smoke point.  One of the main reasons this is so is because the impurities in the oil (like milk solids in butter versus clarified butter - ghee) will start smoking well below the smoke point of the actual oil.

The following table presents smoke points of various fats:

Fat Quality Smoke Point
    Almond oil
    420°F 216°C
    Avocado oil Refined 520°F 271°C[5]
    Avocado oil Un-Refined, Virgin 375-400°F 190-204°C
    Butter
    250–300°F 121–149°C
    Canola oil Expeller Press 375-450°F[6] 190-232°C
    Canola oil High Oleic 475°F 246°C
    Canola oil Refined 400°F 204°C[1]
    Castor oil Refined 392°F 200°C[7]
    Coconut oil Extra Virgin (Unrefined) 350°F[8] 177°C
    Coconut oil Refined 450°F 232°C
    Corn oil Unrefined 352°F 178°C[7]
    Corn oil Refined 450°F 232°C[1]
    Cottonseed oil
    420°F 216°C[1]
    Flax seed oil Unrefined 225°F 107°C
    Ghee (Indian Clarified Butter)
    485°F 252°C
    Grapeseed oil
    420°F 216°C
    Hazelnut oil
    430°F 221°C
    Hemp oil
    330°F 165°C
    Lard
    370°F 188°C
    Macadamia oil
    413°F 210°C
    Mustard oil
    489°F 254°C
    Olive oil Extra virgin 375°F 191°C
    Olive oil Virgin 391°F 199°C[7]
    Olive oil Pomace 460°F 238°C[1]
    Olive oil Extra light 468°F 242°C[1]
    Olive oil, high quality (low acidity) Extra virgin 405°F 207°C
    Palm oil Difractionated 455°F 235°C[9]
    Peanut oil Unrefined 320°F 160°C
    Peanut oil Refined 450°F 232°C[1]
    Rice bran oil
    415°F 213°C
    Safflower oil Unrefined 225°F 107°C
    Safflower oil Semirefined 320°F 160°C
    Safflower oil Refined 510°F 266°C[1]
    Sesame oil Unrefined 350°F 177°C
    Sesame oil Semirefined 450°F 232°C
    Soybean oil Unrefined 320°F 160°C
    Soybean oil Semirefined 350°F 177°C
    Soybean oil Refined 460°F 238°C[1]
    Sunflower oil Unrefined 225°F 107°C
    Sunflower oil Semirefined 450°F 232°C
    Sunflower oil, high oleic Unrefined 320°F 160°C
    Sunflower oil Refined 440°F 227°C[1]
    Tea seed oil
    485°F 252°C
    Vegetable shortening
    360°F 182°C
    Walnut oil Unrefined 320°F 160°C
    Walnut oil Semirefined 400°F 204°C

Options
    Skiddy,

Come to Salado and I'll give you a bottle .... maybe 2.
    Love to, but you guys would throw me in the creek if I rolled in on the Yamaha.....
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Love to, but you guys would throw me in the creek if I rolled in on the Yamaha.....
    Gosh, I could never move to Cannukistan.  They don't sell real rice wine and they don't sell Harleys.  I couldn't live in such poverty.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    One general trend with smoke points of oils, if it is more refined, it has a higher smoke point.  One of the main reasons this is so is because the impurities in the oil (like milk solids in butter versus clarified butter - ghee) will start smoking well below the smoke point of the actual oil.

I wondered where you were...... This confirms the numbers I had on sesame oil, 350/450 for dark/light. Light being the more refined. I've cut and pasted for future reference - Thanks. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited January 2013
    Options

Gosh, I could never move to Cannukistan.  They don't sell real rice wine and they don't sell Harleys.  I couldn't live in such poverty.

Hell, a harley will put you into poverty.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @skiddy - yeah, haven't posted much lately ;)

Another thing about oils the more free fatty acids, the lower the flash point.  More refining, less free fatty acids.
    I just learned more about oils and smoke points than ever in a book. I've had lots of questions without a problem solving approach. That might be the very reason I don't stir-fry or sauté much. Inspired a change... thank you gentlemen.

If its not memorable, its not worth doing.

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Hell, a harley will put you into poverty.

Oh they sell Harley's, actually quite competitive pricing. We don't import tax the snot out of Jap or Euro bikes, there is no Canadian street bike manufacturer to protect. 
    Had a Harley, been there done that. I do like the Porsche designed HD V-Rod, it is not a paint shaker like most Milwaukee metal, if I was 10 years younger, I'd think about it.
    The rice wine does bother me......