Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Loin Advice?

Only the second cook on my LBGE, my kids have requested a bacon wrapped pork loin butterflied and stuffed, that I have done on the gas bbq many times. I was just going to do this with plate setter, legs up, I don’t have a raised grill yet, is this a good position? Any suggestions on cooking temperature? I won’t be cooking till the weekend, just thought I would get some of your expert egg opinions.  <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I have done it that way. It is delicious. I went along at 350. Cook to 135-140 internal. The rest will bring it to temp. Post pics. I love this way to do this.

I also do tenderloins by butterflying and tying 2-3 together in a roll.

• AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    I will have pictures for sure. Yes it is one of my families favorite pork. It was always a bit tough to get it done just right on the gas. I stuff mine with apples, brown sugar, mustard and spiced rum. Any other suggestions to try something new? I also glaze it all when almost done in pretty much the same mixture...?
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I like feta, sundries tomatoes and basil.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited January 2013

AE, I've done allsorts of stuffing. My favourite now is a bread based stuffing with dehydrated fruits. I prefer multiple tenderloins to loins.

Four pork tenderloins this time

Stuffing with ground pork, bacon, dehydrated apples and cherries, garlic, onions, red bells, pinenuts, celery, herbs, croutons and panko.

All rolled and tied

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    That looks great.

Garnerville, NY
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    +1 on 350 indirect. You stuffing sounds great! I usually just coat with brown sugar, mustard and herbs. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Sounds like a good plan.  I like the flavor combination.

You didn't mention it but may be planning on this, don't forget to put a drip pan or foil on the plate setter so if any stuffing or other drippings fall, they will be easy to clean. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • DaveM
    DaveM Posts: 100
    Just make sure to brine it.  ALWAYS brine poultry as it adds so much moisture.  I use a really simple brine that works well.  You can adjust to better suit your taste:

1/2 cup kosher salt
    1/2 cup sugar
    4 cloves garlic - crushed and diced
    10 whole cloves

Boil it in about a quart of water till dissolved, then add a ton of ice to cool it down.  Scales to about a gallon or so of liquid.  Scale accordingly.

let us know how it comes out!  Send picts.
    --Dave from Leesburg, VA BGE XL, Viking 42", Firepit with $16 grill
  • AlbertaEgger
    DaveM said:
    Just make sure to brine it.  ALWAYS brine poultry as it adds so much moisture.  I use a really simple brine that works well.  You can adjust to better suit your taste:

For sure i will use a drip pan. Thanks for all the stuffing ideas so far, pics look great as well. May stick with my old stuffing just this time to see what kind of differance there is from my old way to the new Egg. I am deffinetly going to try the stuffings mentioned above soon tho. As well as little Stevens Tenderloin he has there. DaveM... I have never brined pork....?
  • Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    edited January 2013
    Brining leaner cuts of pork works great. Usually need anywhere from 2-8 hours depending on the size and type of the cut (tenderloins and chops). 12-72 hours for whole loins
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

You can stuff with just about anything. Cured meats and cheeses are great too

Procuitto and Calabrese salami
    Provolone, green onions and sliced garlic
    Sundried tomatoes, bomba
    Pile of Genoa salami
    All wrapped up
    Egged
    Very good

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    I probably shouldn't have looked at this thread five minutes before heading to the grocery store.  Those all look fantastic!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    That last savory roulade looks delicious. 
    Thanks again, definetly looks like the tenderloin is more popular, I alread have a loin that i will have to use though first. Im a bit nervous on the brine. I wouldnt want to over brine a big loin, and i am deffinetly no expert on that.
  • AlbertaEgger
    All these pictures look amazing by the way!
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    These pictures look incredible, can someone give me a lesson on how to butterfly a pork loin? Pics would be great. Also, are these tenderloins or the big pork loin? Thanks.
  • Eggcelsior
    http://youtu.be/Fz391Urnk30

From your friends at the national pork board.
  • Eggcelsior
    In this one, the gentleman answers the age old question of how to get the sausage into the tenderloin.

• AlbertaEgger
    Sorry if this sounds dumb, i dont usually brine, and have never with pork, I have a 7.4 lb Pork loin, was thinking of ~36 hours? Its an average size in thickness.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    Sorry if this sounds dumb, i dont usually brine, and have never with pork, I have a 7.4 lb Pork loin, was thinking of ~36 hours? Its an average size in thickness.
    don't brine that long.....more like 12ish for that size of meat.  you could go up to 24 but i would do it 12. 
  • nolaegghead
    I agree with U_tarded
    Sounds good, I have read everything from 12 to 72 hours, 2 days was the most for max, I will go with the 12. Thanks again.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    Sounds good, I have read everything from 12 to 72 hours, 2 days was the most for max, I will go with the 12. Thanks again.
    no problem, my rule of thumb with things like this is less is more you can always add more later (salt, longer brine time next go around) to hit what your taste buds like.
  • U_tarded said:
    don't brine that long.....more like 12ish for that size of meat.  you could go up to 24 but i would do it 12. 

I just did a 5 lber last night for 12 hours and it was perfect. Had it for dinner tonight and juices were running out all over the cutting board
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • AlbertaEgger
    Sounds great, thanks, looking forward to it.
  • I didn't stuff but it was still good. Simple but good. The brine was very flavorful and made it very moist. I just did cracked pepper and fresh rosemary on the outside. 325 raised indirect until it hit 138.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    Turkey's on the other hand, go for 24-30 hours.  Corned beef, I've gone as long as 5 days.  You can always remove salt with a fresh water soak.